Barcelona - Juventus (1 Viewer)

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
Marcello Lippi claims his men – and not a tactical set-up – earned Juve’s semi-final spot with an historic victory in Barcelona.

“I confess,” said the Coach, “when we were left in ten men I feared the worst. But my lads closed every space down and the credit goes to them, not my tactics.”

Edgar Davids saw red twelve minutes from time, but the Bianconeri held on throughout extra time to snatch a 2-1 victory at the Nou Camp.

“I am very happy because we are in the semi’s and achieved that by beating a great team in front of an incredible crowd.”

Barca were unbeaten in the Champions’ League this season and had previously won all their home games.

Substitute Marcelo Zalayeta scored the winner five minutes before the tie could go into a penalty shoot-out.

“I am happy for Zalayeta,” continued the Coach, “as he scored a wonderful goal. Davids was man of the match for me and I couldn’t substitute him after the first booking.”

Pavel Nedved’s spectacular solo effort will surely have given him bonus points in the race for the European Player of the Year award.

“Nedved certainly deserves to win something important. Let’s hope we can help him achieve that.”

Juventus join Inter in the semi-finals of the Champions’ League and if Milan get past Ajax tomorrow there will be three Italians in the final four.

“After so much criticism of the Italian game,” smiled Lippi, “we proved we aren’t that bad after all.”

The Bianconeri will face either Manchester United – who beat them twice in the second Group Phase – or Zinedine Zidane’s Real Madrid in the semi-finals.

“I have no preference,” insisted the Coach. “We will watch the game and wait. Barcelona had never lost in the competition, but we still surpassed all expectations to beat them.”

Pavel Nedved opened the scoring with a spectacular solo effort that sent Juve on their way to the semi-finals of the Champions’ League.

“It was a very tough game,” said the Czech international. “I really care about this trophy and want to go as far as possible.”

Despite playing in ten men, the Bianconeri emerged from the Nou Camp with an historic 2-1 victory.

“We gave everything we had,” continued Nedved. “I would love to win the Champions’ League, so it doesn’t matter who we meet in the semi’s, just being there is the important thing.”

The hero of the night was Marcelo Zalayeta, as the substitute swept home the winner in the final five minutes of extra time.

“I am very happy for the whole team,” said the Uruguayan. “We got through an extremely tough round and can now look forward to the semi-finals.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calcio Italia

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Hey all, first post here, and what a perfect time to for it, after our boys' brilliant showings today!

I'm a rarity - a Korean (all you Italians, please don't hate me :cheesy:) Juve fan living in Australia, and I've been following the greatest team for about 4 years now.

I just got back from watching the game my friends' house (since I don't have cable TV). Since I live in Australia, I had to wake up at 4:00 AM and run to her house. Brrr that morning chill...but MAN WAS IT WORTH IT!!!

I've actually been lurking the boards for a long time as a guest, reading all the discussions, and since i tend to agree with what most of you say, I haven't registered and posted for myself. BUT TONIGHT! What a match! I just have to congratulate all our heroes for not giving up, I loved Montero's facial expression towards the end, he should have been wearing the captain's armband tonight, encouraging the troops and getting absolutely pumped every time we cleared a corner. I was proud of them all today, and since you guys have already talked about all the boys, i just wanna say collectively, YOU ARE ALL GODS.

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
I don't think anyone's posted this, so I'l do it :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcelo Zalayeta's extra time strike has ended Barcelona's unbeaten run and put ten-man Juve into the semi-finals.
Ten-man Juve are level on the night and on aggregate at the Nou Camp and take Barcelona to extra time.

Juventus needed at least a goal at the Nou Camp to have any chance of qualifying for the semi's following the 1-1 first leg draw in Turin.

David Trezeguet is out with a shoulder injury, but Alessandro Del Piero is returning to full fitness to partner Marco Di Vaio upfront.

Barcelona had a strong start in a bid to close up the tie early, but Javier Saviola nodded over from a good position.

However, Juventus had an even better opportunity on three minutes when Di Vaio sprung the offside trap, but the ex-Parma man slipped at the last moment before he could cut across for the unmarked Del Piero.

Barca maintained the pressure, but it was the Bianconeri who had the best scoring opportunities as Del Piero again sprung the offside trap and saw his shot charged down by defenders.

Paolo Montero has been struggling with his pace this season and lost the ball, only to hack down Marc Overmars. That booking brings about a one-match ban.

Tiago Motta sprung a free kick inches wide, but Barca continued to pile on the pressure.

There were also penalty appeals for a Lilian Thuram handling offence, but the referee judged it to be involuntary as the ball bounced up towards his arm.

Yet the only real saves continued to be from Bonano as he twice charged down an Edgar Davids drive from close range, while Ciro Ferrara nodded a corner kick over the bar.

Before the break Patrick Kluivert found himself unmarked just twelve yards from Gianluigi Buffon, but the former Milan striker scuffed the ball well wide. Then Overmars fired a tame effort straight at Buffon.

Marcello Lippi made two substitutions at half-time, introducing Marcelo Zalayeta and Alessandro Birindelli. Both Di Vaio and Mauro Camoranesi were not 100 per cent fit going into this game, so the change was expected. It also moved Gianluca Zambrotta into a more advanced role.

But Barcelona created their best chance of the game so far within a minute of the restart. Luis Enrique skipped past Montero and incredibly swept the ball wide with only Buffon to beat.

The pressure led to nothing, and Pavel Nedved turned the game around with a splendid solo effort. The Czech international ran through four different Barca shirts before slotting in by the near post, leaving Bonano stunned.

Nedved almost snatched an even more spectacular goal moments later, but his fierce dipping drive from 25 metres was palmed out of the top corner with some difficulty.

Barca fought back and drew the scores level - on the night and on aggregate - when Xavi drilled a low drive in by the near post following a half-hearted Thuram clearance.

Javier Pedro Saviola tried an identical effort soon after, but it was off target. The Spaniards poured forward on the strength of this enthusiasm and Thuram took the sting out of an Overmars shot.

There were fears that Davids would receive a second booking for a late challenge on Luis Enrique, but the English referee gave the midfielder a stern talking to.

The conversation was not enough to calm the Dutchman and he saw red for clattering into Gaizka Mendieta. A change had to be made to bolster the midfield, so Igor Tudor replaced the not 100 per cent fit Del Piero.

Barcelona also made a substitution and went for the win with Juan Roman Riquelme. The Argentine's first shot was well saved by Buffon.

Despite playing in ten men, Juventus held on to take the tie to extra time.

There were a couple of dangerous incidents in the box, but Zambrotta performed a good tackle on Luis Enrique before three defenders crowded out Saviola on the eight yard line.

The tension rose and in the second period of extra time Gerard Lopez was booked for a very late challenge on Nedved.

The Bianconeri could do nothing more than batten down the hatches and hope for penalties, but Nedved also had a good chance to score saved by Bonano.

Buffon made a spectacular close range save from Kluivert's volley, although there were claims for offside, the goalkeeper saved the day.

And that save proved decisive as moments later Juventus struck on the counter-attack with Marcelo Zalayeta. Alessandro Birindelli's sweeping cross was tapped in by the Uruguayan. The two substitutes combined for this crucial away goal that left Barca needing to score twice in five minutes.

The tension understandably rose and there was a scuffle between Buffon and Motta, earning a booking for both.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calcio Italia aka Football Italia
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Holy crap we really sucked, I can't believe this ever happened! Montero and Tacchi already ruled out for Real, Ferrara and Nedved only one yellow away. Barca had one if not two penalties turned down, we had absolutely zero firepower, Del Piero was horrible, ditto Di Vaio. And then out of nowhere.. Thuram clears in the box [as usual], Nedved gets it to midfield, finds Zalayeta with his back to the goal, tons of Barca players around him, takes his only lousy opportunity to find Biri on the wing, cross comes in and who else than Zala to score. The most unpredictable thing I have witnessed in quite a while. Life is so unfair and the Barca fans must hate Graham Poll.
Did you see the match Martin? Show some excitement man!!

I think Lippi was very good today, did everything right. So did a lot of others. Zalayeta sucked big time, but kinda made up for it in the end.

Our best: Thuram, Montero, Buffon, Tacchinardi, Nedved. Ferrara and Tudor were also great.

I feel like I've run a marathon, what a night.....

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Alan....

Hey, I'm not complaining. We're never gonna get past Real but what's the point of realism in sports anyway ;)

And no, I won't be supporting Real even though at times I do feel rather sympathetic towards the likes of Luis Enrique to make a stunning move and mess it all up.

Torkel...

I saw Valencia first, I guess that explains my disappointment. They showed the replay on tv3 so I got most of it.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Don't know what's the problem with Juve in the CL. They don't play with the same confidence they play in the Serie A. This was quite evident throughout the match and we were lucky to pass. After the first goal, Juve got the confidence boost and started playing good first touch football, however as soon as Barca levelled, it was back to square one, with Juventus players not confident enough in their ball distribution.

Individually I can say that Davids, Buffon, Nedved and Thuram were excellent, and Del Piero, Di Vaio, Zalayeta and Camoranesi played s***.

When Davids was sent off, I just sat down on my sofa, waiting for Barca to score the killer. My heart couldn`t watch them getting pushed so much, it was like I had a knife pending on my head, waiting to fall and kill me. So you can imagine my joy when Zalayeta scored

Even tough luck was a major factor, you must Juventus for their determination in 10 men and with 120,000 fans against you; I'm sure it was no easy task.

This win comes with a lot of pain as for our next match we shall miss Montero, Davids and Tacchinardi cos of suspension; it's gonna be tough to substitute them. However winning in Barcellona can give a really big morale boost and since the Serie A is more or less closed, they can focus totally on the semifinal.

Torkel

f(s+1)=3((s +1)-1=3s
Jul 12, 2002
I mean, we didn't create much or play "sexy" football, but this game is a achievement to. Maybe it's my defensive fetish or something, but the way we played tonight made me feel proud. Defendind is also a part of football, and good football is played with passion, and we dominated in that area.

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
All I want to say was the performance of Juventus
Tonight

was the performance Worthy of TRUE CHAMPIONS

This is one of the most thrilling Games I have ever seen against a Team who I would of been proud to lose against!

Never stop Believing.....

This is a performance that superseeds the one of
Gli Azzuri vs Olandia in E2000

Sia Mo Noi
Di Campioni
Di Italia
Sia Mo Noi

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
++ [ originally posted by tarmpropp ] ++
I mean, we didn't create much or play "sexy" football, but this game is a achievement to. Maybe it's my defensive fetish or something, but the way we played tonight made me feel proud. Defendind is also a part of football, and good football is played with passion, and we dominated in that area.
Each to his own but I'm not crying over the win. :)

Evelyn8

Jul 23, 2002
As For Performances
All were splendid apart from Di Vaio and Davids

Davids who's work and preasure always made it hard for Barca
was playing really good

But his excitement got the best of him and he continued his mindless challenges after mr. Poll
had picked up the Card but choose Mercy instead of Expulsion
Davids ofcourse reoays him by angirly hacking down a player 5 minutes within of the prior incident

Sivori

Jul 17, 2002
If you're anything like me, you can't get enough news about your team after a win. Here's what Eurosport.com had to say:
Marcelo Zalayeta scored a dramatic goal in extra-time to fire ten-man Juventus into the semi-finals of the Champions League with a 2-1 win over Barcelona on Tuesday. The Italian champions, who had Edgar Davids sent off, go through 3-2 on aggregate and face the winners of AC Milan and Ajax in the next round.

After a 1-1 draw in the first leg in Turin, Juventus took the lead in the quarter-final tie with a flashing turn and shot from the outstanding Pavel Nedved after 53 minutes. Barca, who had been guilty of some appalling finishing, levelled the scores with a drilled shot from Xavi after 66 minutes and the match swung in their favour when Edgar Davids was sent off 10 minutes before the end of normal-time.

The home side spent most of the remainder of the game camped in the Juventus half but despite creating a series of chances Gianluigi Buffon's goal remained unbreached. Barca were happy to take risks as they chased a winner but they were stung as Alessandro Birindelli broke down the right and sent in a low cross that Zalayeta touched in.

The goal was just reward for a heroic rearguard action from Juventus, who will go on to face Real Madrid or Manchester United in the semi-finals. It was Barcelona's first defeat in 16 Champions League matches -- including qualifiers -- this season and Juve's first win in Spain since 1970.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.eurosport.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the way home from the sportsbar, sitting on the bus, all I could think of was 'Spirito Juve'. If this isn't Spirito Juve, then I don't know what is. This is why we're one of the most succesful teams in Italy and Europe, fighting to the end. :strong::thumb:

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++
As For Performances
All were splendid apart from Di Vaio and Davids

Davids who's work and preasure always made it hard for Barca
was playing really good

But his excitement got the best of him and he continued his mindless challenges after mr. Poll
had picked up the Card but choose Mercy instead of Expulsion
Davids ofcourse reoays him by angirly hacking down a player 5 minutes within of the prior incident
Its called playing with passion and for your team something our club captain can do with right now as he showed none, frankly he was just short of being a disgrace out there, showing little will to go forward and yes he did some fancy stuff at times but not touching the ball for the first 25 minutes is incredible and for goodness sakes how long does he need to get back to full fitness as we really need the real Dp to stand up as with him, Nedved and probably Trez in good nick who knows we might just do it

Glen

Aug 26, 2002
I'm far too happy seing this thin, thin squad lead serieA by six points and take it's place in the CL semi's to take a debate on Lippi's manangement skills tonight Denco :D .

Just one thing, on a night where I otherwise agree with EVERY player comment of yours.

++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Ferrara a fave of Glen's was not so good in my eyes and I could not believe the amount of times he and Montero under lil pressure gave the ball away, it was really frightening
No doubt you mean Montero only, as he was the one who gave away possession; most blatantly when he fumbled like in the Bologna game and had to make up for it with a cynical foul on Overmars which means he's out in the next tie. Not Ciro.
Montero was also the one who allowed Saviola's early header, he was the one skinned by Enrique in the second, and he was generally atrocious in the first half I thought. But BOY did he make up late on :eek: . Did you see how pumped he was? It made me remember that line of Fabio Cannavaro when he was asked what his favourite thing about football was: "marcare, marcare, marcare" :D .

After putting these guys down consistently- I can't understand how you can do it on a night (Ciro especially) where Ferrara was not even once suspect in central defence, and Barca- for all their incessant huff and puff, only got two or three really good chances at goal- none of which came as a result of Ferrara dropping his guard. He is not an extraterrestrial like Thuram, but I really, really think he gets the job done A OK.

GRINTA GALORE!!!
All salute the heroes, and wait for the end of the season to ship off the players who really needs to be shipped off :).

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Evelyn8 ] ++
All I want to say was the performance of Juventus
Tonight

was the performance Worthy of TRUE CHAMPIONS

This is one of the most thrilling Games I have ever seen against a Team who I would of been proud to lose against!
Yes, and I was just not comfortable to sit down, my heart was pounding so hard! Just hoping and praying.....

Never stop Believing.....

This is a performance that superseeds the one of
Gli Azzuri vs Olandia in E2000
I agree, this match reminds me of Italia-Holland in Euro 2000.
Zambro was sent off at that time but Italia through with penalty shootout. Fantastico!:angel:

Grazie Ragazzi! :touched:

survivor

Dec 29, 2002
I have to confess that I'd turned off the tv at the end of the 2nd half and went to bed as I saw no way that we could beat Barca.

Although I'm happy that we eventually managed to win but our performance is far from satisfactory. our passing and control of the ball were terrible and everyone seemed to be so slow compareing to Barca players. I don't want to criticize much of our boys as I can understand that we can't expect one to play excellently in every match. Camo has been wonderful in many games but not last night's as well as tacchi. Davids was crap in Roma's game but he did well last night. Di vaio? it's too dissapointing to mention of him. DP? I feel that he now seems to enjoy defending at the back than attacking. May be he wants to swop the place with Thuram?? Besides, he should put more efforts and what some said here- passion-to the game. I still hope that he would be back to the same brilliant DP soon though.

I believe that Real Madrid would kick Man u. out of CL tonight. What worry me now is not how we can beat them but how we can manage not to be bombed with half a dozen goals.

WE NEED AN URGENT IMPROVMENT!!!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Oh my god!!!! what a game!!!!!!.

IM just to happy, this match was won by the most inteligent squad. Some sites are blaming antic for bad decitions,,but he dont have any responsability. Barcelona played a good home match, dominanting almost all the game juve, but juve was not eaten alive, they fought till the end, and for me , that is the important point, now my dream will come true!! face the all mighty madrid and the midfield maestro!! i dont care what will happem from now on, im very happy!.

I was seeing the game in a restaurant with some juventinis and some barca fans too!. In the extra-time, i was really nervous, with a very high pressure"!! i was feeling like fainting.

About the susbtitutions, i dont blame lippi at all, just look, i was a stupidity to keep delpiero in, cuz, in the midfield , davidz was the most influtnly player,,,and juve was hardly gaining balls in the mid. After davids´s expultion, the war in the midfield was gained by barxa, and loosing the connection with the forwards. The best choice was to protect that goal, and pray for a miracle in the pk shoots.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
++ [ originally posted by survivor ] ++
I have to confess that I'd turned off the tv at the end of the 2nd half and went to bed as I saw no way that we could beat Barca.

Although I'm happy that we eventually managed to win but our performance is far from satisfactory. our passing and control of the ball were terrible and everyone seemed to be so slow compareing to Barca players. I don't want to criticize much of our boys as I can understand that we can't expect one to play excellently in every match. Camo has been wonderful in many games but not last night's as well as tacchi. Davids was crap in Roma's game but he did well last night. Di vaio? it's too dissapointing to mention of him. DP? I feel that he now seems to enjoy defending at the back than attacking. May be he wants to swop the place with Thuram?? Besides, he should put more efforts and what some said here- passion-to the game. I still hope that he would be back to the same brilliant DP soon though.

I believe that Real Madrid would kick Man u. out of CL tonight. What worry me now is not how we can beat them but how we can manage not to be bombed with half a dozen goals.

WE NEED AN URGENT IMPROVMENT!!!

yes, thats not a surprise, we need to improve a lot,
After seeing some manch united league matches, i have seen a great team playing on the field. We need to improve a lot, but im very sure that in the next campaign, if the juve crew do good transfers, this team will be a very good one too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)