Barca fanboy debate (3 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The football Barca played tonight was a decade ahead of time. There aren't many ways to stop them and I fear the complete defense approach is the only way to stop this football they play.
That's the last thing I'd do, because it's never worked in the past.

Delle Alpi

Chemical Dean
May 26, 2009
Inter outside of italy are chickens. The only reason they beat up on teams in italy because those mid table/crappy teams are afriad to play football agaisnt inter and they just give them the whole field to control. When you attack inter and pressure them they are nothing. How in the hell they are going to lose if when all the teams except for juve and milan are not willing to attack. The coaches mentality has to change in Italy, because for fucking many years they have been doing the same against inter, and it's just not working so why in the hell they are stuck with the same tactics. Are they that dump to not see that it's just won't work?

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Why don't teams man-mark Xavi?

There were times tonight you could see Inter's diamond midfield with Xavi standing by himself in the middle of it with space to recieve and pass the ball.
I've seen it done a couple of times.

I just don't undertand why more teams don't do it.

If I was setting up a Juve team to play Barca, I'd have Poulsen marking Xavi as my starting point, then build the team from there.

I watched the game tonight with an Inter supporter and this is exactly what I was saying to him.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
So lets say Xavi gets marked out of the game, if it happens, which still might not occur with Poulsen marking him. What does one do with Iniesta and the others, and with basicaly nixing one of your own men out of the game offensively?

Xavi is a great player, but even when he has poor games, Barca can still do well.

So what do you do with the other guys?

If you play total defense against them, you won't score but they probably eventually will.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
So lets say Xavi gets marked out of the game, if it happens, which still might not occur with Poulsen marking him. What does one do with Iniesta and the others, and with basicaly nixing one of your own men out of the game offensively?

Xavi is a great player, but even when he has poor games, Barca can still do well.

If you play total defense against them, you won't score but they probably eventually will.
Ask Sissoko maybe?

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007

Did you see Barcelona - Almeria? That's the last time I saw Xavi really man marked. The marking was being done by a fairly average player (not Juve material :D ) and it was very effective.

Sure, they have lots of other very talented players but so much of their best football goes through Xavi. His passing and movement is vital to the way they play.

I definitely wouldn't play "total defence", for the reason you say. You have to be balanced. Be very careful in defence with the likes of Iniesta and Messi around but you must make the most of whatever chances you get to go forward.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not advocating 'total defence' as you put it.

I would focus on Xavi because he is the main man. Almost everything goes though him, so stop him and the forwards won't be as big an issue, which will could allow you to use less players focused on defence.

I would also employ a high, Ranieri-esque defensive line because, without Eto'o, they have no one really looking to run in behind on a consistent basis. This allows you to press the midfield higher and generally try to deprive them of space.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Indeed.

Almost a shame Pedro didn't smash it in the top corner, because it would have gone down as a truly great goal then.

It really irks me how most replays only shown the last two passes of a move, rather than the 30 seconds it was building up for.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
I'm not advocating 'total defence' as you put it.

I would focus on Xavi because he is the main man. Almost everything goes though him, so stop him and the forwards won't be as big an issue, which will could allow you to use less players focused on defence.

I would also employ a high, Ranieri-esque defensive line because, without Eto'o, they have no one really looking to run in behind on a consistent basis. This allows you to press the midfield higher and generally try to deprive them of space.
Anything Ranieri-esque is bound to fail against Barcelona :snoop:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I still don't understand why this thread was separated from the La Liga thread? :wth: Mods have lost their sense what's considered off-topic?
What now, we have a separate Barcelona thread? :D Fuck this. I ain't gonna feed this thread anymore, see you in La Liga suckas...

OP
X Æ A-12

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
  • Thread Starter #237
    That's the last thing I'd do, because it's never worked in the past.
    I agree, teams continue to try this and it seems Barcelona have no trouble breaking down a team that defends deeply. I think an interesting strategy to try would be to flood the midfield and try to beat Barcelona at their own strength, possession. I think our 4-2-3-1 would be worth a shot perhaps with Marchisio instead of Gio and the attacking mids sitting deeper than normal to help out in midfield.

Juventus would certainly have trouble beating Barcelona especially at the Nou Camp but I don't think they would walk all over us, we could give them a real match

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

The football Barca played tonight was a decade ahead of time. There aren't many ways to stop them and I fear the complete defense approach is the only way to stop this football they play.
    I've officialy grown out of my hatred for Barcelona and their style of play. What they are doing is clearly ahead of our time.

But I don't think that is the solution at all, the worst thing you could do I believe, is a complete defensive approach and give them more of the ball. Sure, one in a million games, like the Rubin one, may work but that's just luck because they created like 15 goal scoring opportunities and the ball just wouldn't go in. Best you can do is bring the game to them, as much as they'll attack, they'll leave space open behind. Then again, I see no team which can do that to them, because it's so hard to take the ball away from them in the first place.

Barca is clearly the team to beat, still.

Forza Pedro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)