Barca fanboy debate (3 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
If Barca are a decade ahead of time, what does that make the like of Ajax and Holland in the 70s?
Damn right. There have long been teams able to play that kind of football; Barca aren't doing anything revolutionary. What they are though, is the best, most successful example of it in an era where relatively dour tactics have been more popular.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
I've officialy grown out of my hatred for Barcelona and their style of play. What they are doing is clearly ahead of our time.

But I don't think that is the solution at all, the worst thing you could do I believe, is a complete defensive approach and give them more of the ball. Sure, one in a million games, like the Rubin one, may work but that's just luck because they created like 15 goal scoring opportunities and the ball just wouldn't go in. Best you can do is bring the game to them, as much as they'll attack, they'll leave space open behind. Then again, I see no team which can do that to them, because it's so hard to take the ball away from them in the first place.

Barca is clearly the team to beat, still.

Forza Pedro.
:agree:

The way to beat them is to have a defensive approach while making them honest at the back. Its always easier for a team to completely dominate you if your going to hand the ball back to them right away. I was surprised inter did that last night ( but what could you expect, they were shitting their pants), but its important to quickly exploit the spaces they leave at the back, especially on the right with Alves always going forward. Something easier said than done clearly, especially currently with Pep who structured his team very well for an attacking side. You could clearly see Abidal just sitting back along side the two CBs with Busquets infront of them. Then you have the frontal pressure from the players already forward, which makes really difficult to pick a pass.

On their day it will take one hell of a performance to beat them.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Indeed.

Almost a shame Pedro didn't smash it in the top corner, because it would have gone down as a truly great goal then.

It really irks me how most replays only shown the last two passes of a move, rather than the 30 seconds it was building up for.
Shows you that the director was probably not a football fan.

Jul 12, 2002
I'm not advocating 'total defence' as you put it.

I would focus on Xavi because he is the main man. Almost everything goes though him, so stop him and the forwards won't be as big an issue, which will could allow you to use less players focused on defence.

I would also employ a high, Ranieri-esque defensive line because, without Eto'o, they have no one really looking to run in behind on a consistent basis. This allows you to press the midfield higher and generally try to deprive them of space.

That's an interesting idea, but it's been done. Man-marking Xavi only works until one of the other players moves into the pivot. Iniesta, Messi, and Busquets will all fulfill that role when necessary.

As for playing a high-line, that's just suicide. Alves, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta, or Keita will burn you playing like that.

Wahdan

Ace of Spades
Mar 14, 2009
That's an interesting idea, but it's been done. Man-marking Xavi only works until one of the other players moves into the pivot. Iniesta, Messi, and Busquets will all fulfill that role when necessary.

As for playing a high-line, that's just suicide. Alves, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta, or Keita will burn you playing like that.
You talk like a 4 year old happy with his power rangers toys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)