Baltimore Riots/Freddie Gray (17 Viewers)

AndreaCristiano

Nato, Vive, e muore Italiano
Jun 9, 2011
You said that if someone works hard he can and will make it. But Average Joe worked so hard. And he didn't make it. He died poor and alone.

Explain.
This is the last time I explain this to your thick skull. Your scenario has nothing to do with the American Dream. The American Dream is for life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The cancer is not controllable by either the man, the American way of life or society. Your little hypothesis shows how much you do not understand what we're talking about

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
This is the last time I explain this to your thick skull. Your scenario has nothing to do with the American Dream. The American Dream is for life liberty and the pursuit of happiness. The cancer is not controllable by either the man, the American way of life or society. Your little hypothesis shows how much you do not understand what we're talking about
What is controllable is the financial problems Average Joe is in because of the cancer.

I guess you didn't see that coming.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
Something as unpredictable as cancer shouldn't be taken into account for this discussion. And no, America won't make you rich but at least draws the starting line closer between the rich and the poor. In other words, it gives you the tools to succeed.
I have been trying to explain this to him but to no avail. He is using these inane hypothesis to try and distort the conversation because he doesn't grasp what America truly is

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I have been trying to explain this to him but to no avail. He is using these inane hypothesis to try and distort the conversation because he doesn't grasp what America truly is
Inane? It happens every day. To millions of Americans. But you're right, they chose to be poor.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I guess you're slow as I'm not the only one telling you the cancer thing is irrelevant
I understand you want to believe you have control over your life, but reality is you don't. It's better to face that sooner rather than later.

- - - Updated - - -

If the circumstances are right and you work hard, you will be successful.

Idiots.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Neither does my father he has an 8th grade education. My mother has the same yet makes 18 dollars an hour working for wegmans markets started at minimum wage all the while working hard with a thick accent to make it to a team leader role and good wage.
Haha Wegmans! Which one?

Let's make this real easy.

- Average Joe wants to be rich. That's his personal goal.
- He works very hard for 10 years. He has built up a bit of money.
- He gets cancer.
- He has to pay his medical bills and his money evaporates.
- Now he is poor.
- Since he's poor, he must be lazy, because if you work hard, you achieve your goals and his goal was to be rich. He's nothing but a lazy bum.
You made nothing easy. What if he gets hit by a bus?

This is a horrible argument, it in no way proves your point or any point unless you want to talk about existentialism and if life has meaning or some totally unrelated notion like that. But it has no bearing whatsoever on the American dream. You do unknowingly make a point about our horrible healthcare situation but nothing about the American dream.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
I understand you want to believe you have control over your life, but reality is you don't. It's better to face that sooner rather than later.

- - - Updated - - -

If the circumstances are right and you work hard, you will be successful.

Idiots.
I have control of what choices I make and what I do. I controlled that I live within my means with affordable vehicles and an affordable apartment so I can put money into retirement and savings for my wife and I and future children we may have. I control how I live my life as a law abiding citizen running the family restaurant and working the hours I work and doing the work I do to feed my family and pay my bills. I didn't take the easy way out by dealing drugs or joining the mafia, which I easily could have.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Haha Wegmans! Which one?

This is a horrible argument, it in no way proves your point or any point unless you want to talk about existentialism and if life has meaning or some totally unrelated notion like that. But it has no bearing whatsoever on the American dream. You do unknowingly make a point about our horrible healthcare situation but nothing about the American dream.
It wasn't unknowingly. It's actually what I was aiming at. My point is that working hard guarantees you nothing.

God, you Americans have no subtext whatsoever.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
Haha Wegmans! Which one?

Manalapan son!

I also agree with you're assessment of sevens lame argument

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I have control of what choices I make and what I do. I controlled that I live within my means with affordable vehicles and an affordable apartment so I can put money into retirement and savings for my wife and I and future children we may have. I control how I live my life as a law abiding citizen running the family restaurant and working the hours I work and doing the work I do to feed my family and pay my bills. I didn't take the easy way out by dealing drugs or joining the mafia, which I easily could have.
Yes. And if you are rich, you can congratulate yourself as you have most definitely done well. But you were also lucky. Lucky to be in America, lucky to be healthy, lucky for all sorts of things. Both hard work and luck are necessary to achieve things.

Saying that luck has nothing to do with it however is an insult to everyone who has ever been poor.

- - - Updated - - -

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
It wasn't unknowingly. It's actually what I was aiming at. My point is that working hard guarantees you nothing.
Ok let me tell you something. My family is in the restaurant business and we pay for our health care ourselves. Could it be better sure but we do what we must to have coverage. So that situation never arises. Once again it goes to mind set. I could ignore and not have the coverage and keep that money in my pocket to drive a nicer car, but I don't. I make the responsible correct choice

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
Yes. And if you are rich, you can congratulate yourself as you have most definitely done well. But you were also lucky. Lucky to be in America, lucky to be healthy, lucky for all sorts of things. Both hard work and luck are necessary to achieve things.

Saying that luck has nothing to do with it however is an insult to everyone who has ever been poor.

- - - Updated - - -
All these people are in America and the most part healthy so what's their excuse ?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Ok let me tell you something. My family is in the restaurant business and we pay for our health care ourselves. Could it be better sure but we do what we must to have coverage. So that situation never arises. Once again it goes to mind set. I could ignore and not have the coverage and keep that money in my pocket to drive a nicer car, but I don't. I make the responsible correct choice
Implying that the people who are left bankrupt after cancer did not.

All these people are in America and the most part healthy so what's their excuse ?
You honestly think that if you grow up as a black man in a drug infested part of Baltimore your odds of success are as high as anyone else's?

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

- - - Updated - - -
Yeah, "luck" definitely plays a factor but without putting yourself in a position where you benefit from that luck, you're screwed. I've had friends from upper middle class families who have ruined their lives with drugs and had horrible grades since middle school because they didn't care about working hard. How did that luck of being born in a affluent neighborhood with rich parents work out for them?

You're dismissing the American Dream due to shit like unforeseen death and illness. You're the one with no subtext.

Also, I quoted the wrong post.

- - - Updated - - -

You honestly think that if you grow up as a black man in a drug infested part of Baltimore your odds of success are as high as anyone else's?
Umm, yes. If you go bankrupt you definitely didn't make the right choices.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but it doesn't mean they have no chance at success. Some have to work harder but that's life. It doesn't mean they are disqualified from trying and get a pass at being criminals.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's play Seven's game.

What if I win the lottery in America? Oh yeah, it's the American dream!
:lol:

but what if you get ass cancer right after that???

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I'm not saying people don't deserve credit if they work hard and are successful. I'm saying that circumstances play a huge part in life. Denying that is not only lying, but it is also a slap in the face of millions who were not as fortunate as you were. That's my problem with Hustini and AndreaCristiano.

AndreaCristiano

Jun 9, 2011
I'm not saying people don't deserve credit if they work hard and are successful. I'm saying that circumstances play a huge part in life. Denying that is not only lying, but it is also a slap in the face of millions who were not as fortunate as you were. That's my problem with Hustini and AndreaCristiano.
Alc and iliveforjuve are saying the same thing we are

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)