Ballon d'Or 2019 (4 Viewers)

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
His injuries allways stopped him, Robben shits on Ribery IMO when he is healthy (sheer unstoppable quality penetrating). But his peak years coincided with Messi and Ronaldo, if he had his peak in his younger days, and was fully healthy while dominating (he is Hazard level for me at his best), then maybe he could been considered. But injuries and not winning the major trophy that could put you over an insane duo for one fluke season could been possible. Most of those peaks years he wasnt healthy or consistent enough to be even 3rd best most likely.

But defenitely one of the most lethal wingers I ever seen.
To put Robben on Hazard level is an insult :p Hazard is good, but never been on that level imo.

Ribery was troughout his career more of a creator than Robben, where the later was more the one man army often.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Nah, for example, Hazard in Chelsea easily better then Robben in Chelsea. Hazard seems like a semi-crybaby mentally (mainly for Belgium), and gets a bad rep, but he he has been consistent dominant player on weekly basis (he is kinda underrated, his performances in EPL has been really great most of the time) for majority of his career since Lille, really special skilled player.

Robben is an animal at his best, and more of a big moments alpha player, but could use to been more consistent in his career. Certainly not an insult to compare, flopping in Real for example defenitely held him back a bit in terms of what he could adapt to do as a player. Thankfully for him Bayern was a great fit. But ask yourself this, how many of his seasons there can you say was legitly a top 5 player in the world type, consistently and injury free wise.

I know Ribery was more of a creator, but in general ability and impact, Robben shits on him IMO. If Robben was in the mood, he could just decide to destroy an opponent on his own.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Nah, for example, Hazard in Chelsea easily better then Robben in Chelsea. Hazard seems like a semi-crybaby (mainly for Belgium), but he he has been consistent dominant player on weekly basis (he is kinda underrated, his performances in EPL has been really great most of the time) for majority of his career since Lille, really special skilled player.

Robben is an animal at his best, and more of a big moments player, but could use to been more consistent in his career. Certainly not an insult to compare, flopping in Real for example defenitely held him back a bit in terms of what he could adapt to do as a player. Thankfully for him Bayern was a great fit. But ask yourself this, how many of his seasons there can you say was legitly a top 5 player in the world type, consistently and injury free wise.

I know Ribery was more of a creator, but in general ability and impact, Robben shits on him IMO. If Robben was in the mood, he could just decide to destroy an opponent on his own.
Thats also why I said Ribery wasn't as dominant as Robben when you look at them, but wouldn't say he shits on him. They were both magnificent players.

To me you're quite overrating Hazard/underrating Robben. Good player no doubt, but would never put him in the same bucket with a player like the Dutchman. Hazard never reached that level when he was/is at his best and never made the same impact on the biggest stage, but he might been more consistent because he didn't face the same kinda injuries.

But Robben at his best is better than him any day of the week, it's not even a contest to me. Lets see in the next couple of years if I'm gonna change my mind, but as now it's an easy pick for me.

Never said he should've won a Ballon d'Or though, but he would occasionaly be in the top 3 or 4 if it wasn't for the injuries.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
Ribery was overall more important than Robben imo. Robben was the cherry on top, while Ribery made them tick and could have gotten the Ballon d'Or in 2013

Robben was more fun to watch blitz through defences however, it would have been great having him.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Ribery was overall more important than Robben imo. Robben was the cherry on top, while Ribery made them tick and could have gotten the Ballon d'Or in 2013

Robben was more fun to watch blitz through defences however, it would have been great having him.
People tend to remember Robben much better than Ribery because of his insane solo goals and one man army performances. But Ribery was equally as important to me.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Thats also why I said Ribery wasn't as dominant as Robben when you look at them, but wouldn't say he shits on him. They were both magnificent players.

To me you're quite overrating Hazard/underrating Robben. Good player no doubt, but would never put him in the same bucket with a player like the Dutchman. Hazard never reached that level when he was/is at his best and never made the same impact on the biggest stage, but he might been more consistent because he didn't face the same kinda injuries.

But Robben at his best is better than him any day of the week, it's not even a contest to me. Lets see in the next couple of years if I'm gonna change my mind, but as now it's an easy pick for me.

Never said he should've won a Ballon d'Or though, but he would occasionaly be in the top 3 or 4 if it wasn't for the injuries.
Robben is one of the best wingers to ever play. Guy was unstoppable. Too bad he didn’t get the World Cup.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Are you trying to say Ronaldo and Messi havent been the best players deserving to win the awards? :D Like no one else is close to them.

Only time its been questionable was giving it to Modric.

Its funny and sad that you are prolly PMSing about this just because Ronaldo became our player recently.
No but Luca modric last year and messi this year is a joke.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Robben on his best seasons could certainly have won a Ballon d'Or, here I'm mostly thinking of 2014 and 2010. But he should have won the WC to be considered, also his injuries played a big role in him never being a contender. When he wasn't injured he was unstoppable at times.
Robben is my 2010 should-have-been winner. Same as Ribery in 2013. The rest of the Messi-Ronaldo era awards, except last 2 imo, were all deserved

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Robben is my 2010 should-have-been winner. Same as Ribery in 2013. The rest of the Messi-Ronaldo era awards, except last 2 imo, were all deserved
His goal against United in the CL was out of this world, same with the one against Fiorentina, not to forget his crazy solo goal against Schalke. One man army that season.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
His goal against United in the CL was out of this world, same with the one against Fiorentina, not to forget his crazy solo goal against Schalke. One man army that season.

Scored in every CL round that year and in most crucial games in BL and DFB Pokal. Shame Ribery wasnt there in the final, could have been a different stroy than with Altintop

- - - Updated - - -

Definition of carrying a team, that Bayern had no business almost winning the trebel

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
People tend to remember Robben much better than Ribery because of his insane solo goals and one man army performances. But Ribery was equally as important to me.
I can tell you people here remember 2013 Ribery very well after his performances against Juve in CL quarterfinals.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Scored in every CL round that year and in most crucial games in BL and DFB Pokal. Shame Ribery wasnt there in the final, could have been a different stroy than with Altintop

- - - Updated - - -

Definition of carrying a team, that Bayern had no business almost winning the trebel
Fully agreed. Bayern reaching the final in 2010 was simply thanks to Robbery, the overall team was never good enough for a CL final. Ribery, Robben, Lahm and perhaps Mario Gomez were the only players with true class. Van Bommel wasn't there anymore and Schweini not that much that season as from what I remember. But it was a team with many hard workers/grinta which got them far.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Fully agreed. Bayern reaching the final in 2010 was simply thanks to Robbery, the overall team was never good enough for a CL final. Ribery, Robben, Lahm and perhaps Mario Gomez were the only players with true class. Van Bommel wasn't there anymore and Schweini not that much that season as from what I remember. But it was a team with many hard workers/grinta which got them far.
Btw this was Ribery's best season for me, not the treble winning one.

Treble winning one was more of a Liverpool case for me, with the entire team playing on a high level.

- - - Updated - - -

That treble Bayern team was just a machine, everyone worked so hard all over the pitch.
Such a shame Kroos went out injured and you had to bring on Robben.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)