Ballon d'Or 2019 (2 Viewers)

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
My point is that I think those two have done more than just shoot up the little teams, the original point is more than unfair. Although I think playing for Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid is a bit of a license to score a tonne of goals. Lewandowski is often so far ahead of the other top scorers it's comical, numerous 30, 40 goal seasons, and Bundesliga only has 34 rounds. Aubameyang and Werner were around his mark for a few years. But you'd expect Bayern's CF to be top scorer every season.

Other teams it seems to take an extraordinary season for even a top player - Higuain's best season at Napoli, Salah at Liverpool, Ronaldo did it once for United, Luis Suarez at Liverpool as well. It's quite a rarity for a 30+ season in Serie A or the Premier League. In Spain it's commonplace because of the two legendary players at those two teams. Scoring 48 or 50 league goals is completely absurd stat padding, so I agree in that sense.

I think for a Bayern player, probably the same for Juventus, they need to win the CL to win the Ballon d'Or.
Don't buy into the propaganda that it's harder to score in the PL than other leagues

Also take a look at this. Until Aubameyang scored 31 goals in a season did no player in the BL score 30+ in a season since Dieter Müller in the 70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bundesliga_top_scorers_by_season

Might also have to do with the fewer games played, I agree. Which actually makes it even more impressive if a BL player wins the Golden Boot as he got 4 games less to do so than players in the other top leagues.

- - - Updated - - -

Robben was 8th that year so that seems like a stretch, but my memory doesn't go back that far. Ribery was a very, very close 3rd behind Ronaldo and Messi.
My point is, if winning the CL is the only thing that counts for a player to win the BL then there's many years where Messi and Ronaldo shouldn't have won it.

Sneijder in 2010, Robben for his 3 goals contribution in the SF and final, Mane/van Dijk in 2019 and this year it's still open. I know it doesn't work like that, but it's not serious only to count the CL as the only relevant aspect for those who deserves to win.

Back in the old days did most players not win the CL the same year they won the Ballon d'Or. And thats why I say it would be absolutely justified if Lewandowski would've won it this year as things were standing.

wont happen now lol.

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018
Then Robben should have won it in 2013 if the CL is so important

That year Ronaldo was shooting up the likes of Leganes and still won, same goes for Messi other years
2013 Ronaldo was in he's prime years then and was a all round monster player scoring 66 goals in 56 matches for club and country and was top goal scorer of the CL that year too and he scored that fantastic hat trick to get he's team to world cup finals against sweden in that play off match.Im not sure how u can argue that ronaldo was only padding stats and didnt deserve it.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
2013 Ronaldo was in he's prime years then and was a all round monster player scoring 66 goals in 56 matches for club and country and was top goal scoer of the CL that year too and he scored that fantastic hat trick to get he's team to world cup finals against sweden in that play off match.Im not sure how u can argue that ronaldo was only padding stats and didnt deserve it.
My point is some users are making it up as you need to win the CL or other big trophies to have any chance. Ronaldo didn't win anything that year but had a very good individiual season and there for I think it's fair enough he won it.

For that reason is also why I think you could certainly make a case that Lewa would've deserved it this year - as things stands right now.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Don't buy into the propaganda that it's harder to score in the PL than other leagues

Also take a look at this. Until Aubameyang scored 31 goals in a season did no player in the BL score 30+ in a season since Dieter Müller in the 70's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bundesliga_top_scorers_by_season

Might also have to do with the fewer games played, I agree. Which actually makes it even more impressive if a BL player wins the Golden Boot as he got 4 games less to do so than players in the other top leagues.
TBH I kind of expect that, considering it's a 34-round league. Modern football does suit more attacking players. I don't think anyone is doubting that Lewandowski is a great striker or that he can't score goals wherever he plays.

Premier League isn't difficult to score in, there are often players over 20 goals, and it's clearly an attacking league, but 30+ seasons are not common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_Premier_League_goal_scorers_by_season

Since it's inception: Alan Shearer (x3) & Andy Cole in the early days. Kevin Phillips in that one red hot season. Henry, Ronaldo, van Persie, Suarez, Kane and Salah all once. So 11 times in 27/28 seasons.

Golden Shoe is a different thing. I'd say it's almost impossible for a Bundesliga player to win it unless 18 (or 20) teams becomes common. Serie A should be 18 teams anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)