Baggio joins Real Madrid centenary celebrations (2 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DP's_Apprentice ] ++
12/18/2002. Serie A stars Alessandro Del Piero and Alessandro Nesta won't be present at Real Madrid's centenary match set to be played this evening.

A Spanish radio station made the announcement.

The news of the abscence of the two Italians comes a couple hours after Oliver Kahn polemically forfeited his presence in an act of protest against Ronaldo.

-------------------------------------------
Wow,no Kahn,no Nesta,no DP.
Please can you or anyone elaborate on this as I am not sure why Dp and Nesta pulled out, was it in protest?

Buy on AliExpress.com

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Oded ] ++
did del piero play?

what was the linup and who played?
Here you are:

Real Madryt - The Allstars 3:3 (0:2)

Goals: Solari (59 min. - penalty), Tote (65 min.), Cambiasso (85 min.) - for Realu; Klose (29 min.), Kaka (41 min.), Cisse (48 min.) - for The Allstars

Real: Casillas (31-Cesar) (70-Carlos Sanchez) - Minambres (70-Olalla), Pavon (46-Ruben), Helguera (46-Borja), Raul Bravo; Flavio (46-Celades), Guti (46-Solari), Figo (31-McManaman), Zidane (46-Tote); Raul (25-Morientes) (70-Cambiasso), Ronaldo (56-Portillo)

The Allstars: Caballero (46-Bizarri) - Cafu (60-Cha Du Ri), Lizarazu (60-Etoo), Maldini (46-Cisse), Marquez (46-Naybet); Ballack (46-Joaquin), Baraja (46-Yakin), Nakata (46-D´Alessandro), Baggio (31-Kaka) (60-Fernando Torres); Klose (31-Makaay) (60-Mijatovic), Rivaldo (31-Wilmots).

Sędziował: Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
MADRID (Reuters) - Real Madrid's centenary year celebrations ended on a high note when the team fought back from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 with a World Selection in an ultimately thrilling friendly at a rainswept Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

Real's younger and bit-part players battled back superbly after their stars had been substituted, throwing everything at the visitors as the match became more intense and competitive with Real searching desperately for the equaliser.

It finally came three minutes from the end when Esteban Cambiasso scored with a brilliantly struck curling shot from the edge of the box to give the reigning World Club and European champions a well deserved draw after creating eight clear-cut chances in the last 20 minutes.

The World Selection took the lead after 30 minutes with a superbly executed header from German Miroslav Klose, who scored five goals in the World Cup finals.

He connected with a perfectly flighted cross from the still-impressive Roberto Baggio wide on the left, getting to the ball before both defender Ivan Helguera and goalkeeper Ilker Casillas and making no mistake with his diving header.

A minute later both Baggio and Klose were among the first of the visitors' substitutions and the young Brazilian Kaka, who replaced Baggio, doubled their lead two minutes before the break.

He drifted unchallenged past three Real defenders before side-footing past substitute goalkeeper Cesar from the edge of the box.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE

Real created several promising openings in the first half but Ronaldo was kept firmly in check by Rafael Marquez and Paolo Maldini in the visitors' defence and apart from a chance for Raul after five minutes and Luis Figo eight minutes later, Real never looked like scoring.

Despite the pouring rain, a halftime break extended to 26 minutes was enlivened by opera singer and Real fan Placido Domingo's rendition of the club's hymn, accompanied by a full symphony orchestra and flanked by the two teams.

The players then had to wait several minutes in the rain while the musicians, in full evening dress, trooped off with their instruments and stage set.

Three minutes after the break Aliou Cisse made it 3-0 after more good work from Kaka, who played in the Senegalese midfielder to shrug off Real's substitute defender Borja and lift the ball past keeper Cesar.

Real pulled one goal back on the hour mark as Santiago Solari swept in from the penalty spot after Portillo was held by Murat Yakin as he attempted to reach a Fernando Morientes cross.

Tote further reduced the arrears with a simple tap-in on 65 minutes after Albano Bizarri failed to hold Portillo's shot.

There than followed a furious finale which eventually provided Real with an equaliser.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
Please can you or anyone elaborate on this as I am not sure why Dp and Nesta pulled out, was it in protest?
I'm really not too sure,I'll look into it.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Well the official report (coming from Fifa) says that Kahn had a tigh muscle problem, but the unofficial news is (coming from Marca though) that he was fed up with ZZ and Ronaldo, because he had to wait one hour before he could finally talk to the media after the Fifa Wolrd Player award since this two created such a traffic (the award ceremony being held in Madrid of course the spanish reporters were in majortiy and wanted to talk to the merengues more than with Kahn) :D

violette

Aug 30, 2002
DP said he got flu....

No Real Madrid...!____from ale's official site
"No Madrid for me tonight! Unfortunately a negletected though bland flue will prevent me from getting down on the pitch for the friendly match Real Madrid - Rest of the World. I’m really sorry because I was really looking forward to taking part to this event: it would have been for me not only an honour and a pleasure, but also the unique occasion to meet many friends… What a pity!"

Hmmm....wonder what's Nesta's reason....... :nasty::p

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by violette ] ++
DP said he got flu....

No Real Madrid...!____from ale's official site
"No Madrid for me tonight! Unfortunately a negletected though bland flue will prevent me from getting down on the pitch for the friendly match Real Madrid - Rest of the World. I’m really sorry because I was really looking forward to taking part to this event: it would have been for me not only an honour and a pleasure, but also the unique occasion to meet many friends… What a pity!"

Hmmm....wonder what's Nesta's reason....... :nasty::p
Thank you for that :cool:

OP
Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #97
    i support Kahn..im sick of always Figo and Zidane and Raul and Ronaldo..always the same people...many players around the WORLD(fifa WORLD player of the year)..Ronnie had a gr8 WC, but only scored 11 goals for Inter(i think) last season..Zidane had a poor world cup..Raul deserved to win it more than Ronnie hands-down...u can say that Henry deserves alot aswell, since he won the Double, and has been the best player in England for 2002...
    alot more people deserves the award than Ronnie, and that's why Kahn is :(

OP
    Dj Juve

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #99
    no, i mean forever it's the same players that get nominated and get top 3 or top 5...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)