Back to Zemanlandia (1 Viewer)

Dec 27, 2003
Alright, I could be speaking about the goalless Milanese derby and how it constitutes a big favour to Juventus, but instead I wish to dedicate this thread to a man I have always appreciated for his willingness to stick to his principles even if that means he has to go against the tide more often than not. A man whose cryptic interviews and avant-gardist theories have gone down in football history. A man that the obscure forces governing the Football world had tried to marginalize and exile because he had dared questioning them. A man whose presence in the big circus of Italian football has been sorely missed and to whom I wish a warm welcome back : Mr Zdenek Zeman.

Welcome back, Mr Zeman, and thank you. Thank you for creating that spectacular goal-scoring machine called Lecce. Thank you for giving the people of an otherwise rather depressed part of Italy something to be proud of. Thank you for once again breathing some of your revolutionary spirit into the often too conservative serie A.

I remember when you first made your appearance on the stage 12 years ago, with those other Southern minnows called Foggia. I remember how you would play Signori, Kolyvanov, Baiano and Rambaudi together without thinking twice and how people would call you a madman for that. And in a way you were a bit of a madman, since your ultra-offensive antics caused you some major setbacks, such as your 8-2 loss in Foggia against the then omnipotent Milan of Capello. Or your decision to put in a fifth striker in an epic game against Lazio in Rome when you were leading 4-3 and then lost 5-4. But the fact remained that Foggia was without a doubt the most entertaining side to watch in those days, and that despite some suicidal games it did maintain itself in the élite without much effort. And this is what gave birth to the concept of "Zemanlandia".

Zemanlandia has been severely hit in the past few years, but it now seems to be back on its feet again and stronger than ever, and I for one am extremely pleased by it. Bjelanovic, Bojinov, Vucinic & co look like the natural heirs of the wonderboys from the Foggia era. In fact, Lecce seems to be an improved version of Zemanlandia - Episode 1, as, without giving up the landmark offensive zone-pressing system, it looks more solid at the back and more balanced as a whole. This means that Lecce can now strive after more than just safety from relegation. Now, I've always held the opinion that a coach's responsibility in a team's fate is overrated, but Zemanlandia just happens to be the exception to the rule. So, once again, welcome back, Mr Zeman, and keep amazing us :thumb:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't think it really matters whether it's objective or not. Isn't the whole point of an article like this to give one's opinion? :)

OP
Kaiser Franco
Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Libero, why don't you get these articles published on football sites man?
    Are you serious? Do you know of any football site that would publish them?

Since Im self-employed, I reckon working on a free-lance basis for a football site could be an alternative not to mention more fun source of revenue :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Sure, I mean goal.com for example accepted match previews from Glenn and Andy, so obviously the standard's not that high :p (j/k guys). I highly doubt they got paid for it though :)

If you really wanted to freelance for a football site, maybe you could send them examples of articles and ask if they could make an arrangement to take you on board as a regular columnist for them. It probably wouldn't be easy though, considering the number of people out there who want to make money writing about football.

Jan 24, 2004
    yes goal.com offers everybody the chance to write. even I wrote articles for them (german version) :D ... but for those who pay some bucks you have to offer more than a commentary dealing with your own point of view. the basics are news, articles and reports - if you know how to handle these professionally then don't hesitate to send them samples of your work.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Sure, I mean goal.com for example accepted match previews from Glenn and Andy, so obviously the standard's not that high :p (j/k guys). I highly doubt they got paid for it though :)
    :fero:

Ramin

vBookie Champion
    Nov 18, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++
    On your decision to put in a fifth striker in an epic game against Lazio in Rome when you were leading 4-3 and then lost 5-4.
    :LOL:

what a madman :D .. he seems he know's what he's doin now with Lecce.

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #13

If you really wanted to freelance for a football site, maybe you could send them examples of articles and ask if they could make an arrangement to take you on board as a regular columnist for them. It probably wouldn't be easy though, considering the number of people out there who want to make money writing about football.
    Ah well, I guess I'll just stick to making threads on this forum then. Speaking of which : considering how this is a Juventus forum, I was expecting some backlash or at least some criticism for my praising the man who is responsible for Juve's legal entanglements...

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

Hey, you forgot me!!! :(

And it was a good one too :stuckup:

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002

Are you serious? Do you know of any football site that would publish them?
    At least writte these and send to worldsoccer.com there will be a winner in the end and will travel with WS equipe to CL final in istanbul and the winner will writte an article in the WS magazine. give a try ;)

Jan 7, 2004

Ah well, I guess I'll just stick to making threads on this forum then. Speaking of which : considering how this is a Juventus forum, I was expecting some backlash or at least some criticism for my praising the man who is responsible for Juve's legal entanglements...

he is like Sensi, we dont take him seriously

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    As Bes said, we don't really bother wasting our emotions on him.

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    Zdenek is quite the opposite of Sensi, though. The latter will whine and scream ad nauseam, he will repeat how he is the object of a conspiracy until your head explodes. Zeman will just murmur to you in his typical bohemian accent : "Del Piero's muscles : they got bigger". And if you ask him "what?" he'll say "you heard me the first time". That's just one more aspect of his personality that I love btw : the score can be 5-5 on the pitch and he will still keep wearing that impassive mask of his.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    You have a point, but is there really any point in differentiating between the manner in which the two parties won't STFU? I don't really think so

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)