Back to Zemanlandia (1 Viewer)

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
he's a good coach,naturally i'm not too fond of him because he did go after juve and became a sworn enemy but i certainly wouldn't mind seeing him take charge of a big team in the future and slugging it out with juve the conventional way:)

Buy on AliExpress.com

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
Y u guys keep praising him this much. He doesn't worth shit. Did u forgot his career with napoli - fenerbahce-salernitana and avelino and tell me what he did with roma what did he win?:confused:

Jan 24, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Kaiser Franco ] ++

Ah well, I guess I'll just stick to making threads on this forum then. Speaking of which : considering how this is a Juventus forum, I was expecting some backlash or at least some criticism for my praising the man who is responsible for Juve's legal entanglements...
not eveybody's hobby is provoking ;)

OP
Kaiser Franco
Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #25
    ++ [ originally posted by snoop ] ++
    Y u guys keep praising him this much. He doesn't worth shit. Did u forgot his career with napoli - fenerbahce-salernitana and avelino and tell me what he did with roma what did he win?:confused:
    My admiration for Zeman derives from the fact that he is the anti-Italian coach by definition. Historic adepts of the catenaccio such as Helenio Herrera were obsessed with victory (but then again everybody is). Their motto was "prima regola : non prenderle", roughly meaning "rule number one : don't get spanked". In their eyes the first thing to do if you want to win a game is not to concede any goal. Zeman's just the opposite : he is happy as long as he scores one more goal than the opponent (I would almost venture saying that he prefers to lose 4-3 than draw 0-0). As I said, this led him to some huge thrashings, such as his 2-8 loss against the stellar Milan of the early 90's, but that's a price he's ready to pay.

Zeman's spell with Napoli, Fenerbache etc were the time in the wilderness of his career. Don't forget that those were the years following his allegations against Juve, which earned him to be treated like a pariah by the football world, with hardly any team willing to take the risk of enlisting him, while those who did would grant him only limited trust. But you forgot to mention the great job he did at Foggia, which he took from serie C1 to serie A, making them the revelation of the year. Also, his stays at Lazio and Roma were hardly negative. He did take both teams to honorable positions at a time when they didn't have the means yet to compete with Milan and Juve. He launched world class talents such as Totti and Signori (who had followed him at Lazio from Foggia). And he did this without ever renouncing his offensive credo, as the spectacular derbies both Roma and Lazio played under his management testify.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002

My admiration for Zeman derives from the fact that he is the anti-Italian coach by definition. Historic adepts of the catenaccio such as Helenio Herrera were obsessed with victory (but then again everybody is). Their motto was "prima regola : non prenderle", roughly meaning "rule number one : don't get spanked". In their eyes the first thing to do if you want to win a game is not to concede any goal. Zeman's just the opposite : he is happy as long as he scores one more goal than the opponent (I would almost venture saying that he prefers to lose 4-3 than draw 0-0). As I said, this led him to some huge thrashings, such as his 2-8 loss against the stellar Milan of the early 90's, but that's a price he's ready to pay.

Zeman's spell with Napoli, Fenerbache etc were the time in the wilderness of his career. Don't forget that those were the years following his allegations against Juve, which earned him to be treated like a pariah by the football world, with hardly any team willing to take the risk of enlisting him, while those who did would grant him only limited trust. But you forgot to mention the great job he did at Foggia, which he took from serie C1 to serie A, making them the revelation of the year. Also, his stays at Lazio and Roma were hardly negative. He did take both teams to honorable positions at a time when they didn't have the means yet to compete with Milan and Juve. He launched world class talents such as Totti and Signori (who had followed him at Lazio from Foggia). And he did this without ever renouncing his offensive credo, as the spectacular derbies both Roma and Lazio played under his management testify.
    good points.actually i have to admit that I don't know the very past of zeman :embarass: I mean the days at foggia etc.. but i belive that lately in 6 or 7 years he didn't do "big" things with the clubs i mentioned + roma.like trapattoni for example he sux lately.but I can't deny his good works with juve and how a great coach he was.

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #28
    I think he was referring to Trap, Gray. 6 or 7 scudetti + winning all the European and International Cups available = more than good work btw :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Zeman set for move?
    Wednesday 27 October, 2004

Lecce have admitted that they may lose boss Zdenek Zeman to a big club at the end of the season.

"He is a Coach worthy of a great team," stated sporting director Pantaleo Corvino. "And that could be his destiny in the summer."

Zeman’s attacking football seems to be back in vogue as his Giallorossi side currently sit second in the Division.

The Czech, who plays with a 4-3-3 formation, has had success in the past during spells at Roma and Lazio.

However, he seemed to lose his way after struggling during subsequent stints at Fenerbache, Napoli, Salernitana and Avellino.

But the minnows appointed the chain-smoking boss in the summer, to replace Delio Rossi, and he’s proved to be an instant hit.

"I must thank Zeman for all that he is doing for us," added Corvino. "We did hire him during a tough time in his career but he wasn’t a gamble for us, he was and is a guarantee."

Lecce take on Inter this evening and the former Foggia boss has admitted that the Nerazzurri once tracked him.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
    Zeman set for move?
    Wednesday 27 October, 2004

Lecce have admitted that they may lose boss Zdenek Zeman to a big club at the end of the season.

"He is a Coach worthy of a great team," stated sporting director Pantaleo Corvino. "And that could be his destiny in the summer."

Zeman’s attacking football seems to be back in vogue as his Giallorossi side currently sit second in the Division.

The Czech, who plays with a 4-3-3 formation, has had success in the past during spells at Roma and Lazio.

However, he seemed to lose his way after struggling during subsequent stints at Fenerbache, Napoli, Salernitana and Avellino.

But the minnows appointed the chain-smoking boss in the summer, to replace Delio Rossi, and he’s proved to be an instant hit.

"I must thank Zeman for all that he is doing for us," added Corvino. "We did hire him during a tough time in his career but he wasn’t a gamble for us, he was and is a guarantee."

Lecce take on Inter this evening and the former Foggia boss has admitted that the Nerazzurri once tracked him.

everybody is gettin a chance at inter, why shouldnt he

OP
    Kaiser Franco
    Dec 27, 2003
  • Thread Starter #34
    In fact, Lecce seems to be an improved version of Zemanlandia - Episode 1, as, without giving up the landmark offensive zone-pressing system, it looks more solid at the back and more balanced as a whole.
    After today's 4-0 loss to Fiorentina, I will have to pretend that I never said that. I mean, ALL of the goals conceded by Lecce were counter-attacks, with the defensive line so obsessed with playing the offside rule there was virtually no Lecce player left in their own half of the field!

So this is just Zemanlandia 1 all over again : speed, spectacle and an incurable appetite for self-destruction:D

xziz

Aug 30, 2004

After today's 4-0 loss to Fiorentina, I will have to pretend that I never said that. I mean, ALL of the goals conceded by Lecce were counter-attacks, with the defensive line so obsessed with playing the offside rule there was virtually no Lecce player left in their own half of the field!

So this is just Zemanlandia 1 all over again : speed, spectacle and an incurable appetite for self-destruction:D
    You heard me Kaiser Franco. BTW are you from the same place Zdenek is from? The Heart of Europe? What's between you two guys?

The reality is less glamorous than you depict it. Zdenek Zeman will be fired by Lecce before the end of the season and hopefully before Lecce is relegated to Serie B by this incompetent trainer.

Zdenek Zeman never won anything and never will. He has made his way by using is foul mouth. And his dream his being recalled by Roma from which he was fired in 1999. Basically Zdenek is just an insignificant parasite trying to make a name for himself by parasiting the tiger, Juventus.

This is is miserable career:

Stagione Squadra Serie Piazzamento
    2003/2004 AVELLINO Serie B 23 RET
    2002/2003 SALERNITANA Serie B SOS
    2001/2002 SALERNITANA Serie B 6
    2000/2001 NAPOLI Serie A SOS
    1999/2000 FENERBAHCE Serie A TUR SUB-SOS
    1998/1999 ROMA Serie A 5
    1997/1998 ROMA Serie A 4
    1996/1997 LAZIO Serie A SOS
    1995/1996 LAZIO Serie A 3
    1994/1995 LAZIO Serie A 2
    1993/1994 FOGGIA Serie A 9
    1992/1993 FOGGIA Serie A 12
    1991/1992 FOGGIA Serie A 9
    1990/1991 FOGGIA Serie B 1 PRO
    1989/1990 FOGGIA Serie B 8
    1988/1989 MESSINA Serie B 8
    1987/1988 PARMA Serie B SOS
    1986/1987 FOGGIA Serie C1 SOS
    1985/1986 LICATA Serie C1 12
    1984/1985 LICATA Serie C2 1 PRO

yours truly xziz :fero:

xziz

Aug 30, 2004
    Kaiser Franco, don't you think Zdenek Zeman is a sworn enemy of Juventus?

It is a simple question, you know.

xziz :fero:

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    What does that have to do with anything? If he likes the man he likes the man, and you do know that he (Kaiser Franco) doesn't support Juve, right?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    I can't say anything about Zeman's past with Foggia because I knew not of it until reading Libero's post, but I will admit that I like what he's doing with Lecce. Quite contrary to most Italian teams, Zeman's Lecce isn't afraid to concede goals and I love the "I'd rather lose 4-3 than draw 0-0" concept (this is coming from a neutral perspective of course). I'm going to just this once forget about Zeman and his relationship with Juventus and say hats off to an adventurous Czech.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Alright, I could be speaking about the goalless Milanese derby and how it constitutes a big favour to Juventus, but instead I wish to dedicate this thread to a man I have always appreciated for his willingness to stick to his principles even if that means he has to go against the tide more often than not. A man whose cryptic interviews and avant-gardist theories have gone down in football history. A man that the obscure forces governing the Football world had tried to marginalize and exile because he had dared questioning them. A man whose presence in the big circus of Italian football has been sorely missed and to whom I wish a warm welcome back : Mr Zdenek Zeman.

Welcome back, Mr Zeman, and thank you. Thank you for creating that spectacular goal-scoring machine called Lecce. Thank you for giving the people of an otherwise rather depressed part of Italy something to be proud of. Thank you for once again breathing some of your revolutionary spirit into the often too conservative serie A.

I remember when you first made your appearance on the stage 12 years ago, with those other Southern minnows called Foggia. I remember how you would play Signori, Kolyvanov, Baiano and Rambaudi together without thinking twice and how people would call you a madman for that. And in a way you were a bit of a madman, since your ultra-offensive antics caused you some major setbacks, such as your 8-2 loss in Foggia against the then omnipotent Milan of Capello. Or your decision to put in a fifth striker in an epic game against Lazio in Rome when you were leading 4-3 and then lost 5-4. But the fact remained that Foggia was without a doubt the most entertaining side to watch in those days, and that despite some suicidal games it did maintain itself in the élite without much effort. And this is what gave birth to the concept of "Zemanlandia".

Zemanlandia has been severely hit in the past few years, but it now seems to be back on its feet again and stronger than ever, and I for one am extremely pleased by it. Bjelanovic, Bojinov, Vucinic & co look like the natural heirs of the wonderboys from the Foggia era. In fact, Lecce seems to be an improved version of Zemanlandia - Episode 1, as, without giving up the landmark offensive zone-pressing system, it looks more solid at the back and more balanced as a whole. This means that Lecce can now strive after more than just safety from relegation. Now, I've always held the opinion that a coach's responsibility in a team's fate is overrated, but Zemanlandia just happens to be the exception to the rule. So, once again, welcome back, Mr Zeman, and keep amazing us :thumb:
    :thumb: Nice article, Lib :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)