Azzurri Thread (52 Viewers)

italiacalcio10

Mar 3, 2014
I hate to say it, but the Azzurri won't get better until they reduce the foreigners on the mid & bottom level teams. Those teams should supply the top teams by developing them & teams like Juventus should be helping to support those teams. Serie A has been crushed partially b/c of a lack of marketing/ ability to adapt to an increasingly international game where it is important to attract a global fanbase. But this wouldn't nearly be as much of an issue if the player development was still there b/c frankly domestic players in Italy have been historically quite loyal meaning that a robust domestic class keeps the country competitive regardless of competition from the EPL. By bringing in mediocre foreign players like Maxi Lopez, or Mauricio Pinilla you're hurting your leagues competitiveness. Another huge thing is that lower tier teams need to embrace younger talent more. Udinese is the worst example from the last match day. 2/11 starters were Italian & 1 was an Italian under 30.
Teams also need to take more risks and give youth a chance. Way too often do you see a player come on and get a debut at 18 or 19 and then sit on the bench for 4 years, and end up being mediocre. The latest example of this was Daniel Verde of Roma. He impressed a lot in his first few games, looking like their best player at times, but after his MOTM 90 minute performance on February 8th, he never got another full match again. There are two teams that I see that are mostly getting things right now out of the mid-to-bottom level teams, Sassuolo & Empoli. Sassuolo could add a bit more youth, but overall they're pretty good. On the last match 10/11 were Italian, and 3/11 were under 25. Empoli had 8/11 that were Italian with 5/11 being Italians under 25.

Is there a coincidence that these teams with largely unknown rosters are overachieving? I don't think so. I think there a few key factors:

-Mostly domestic means better communication (language) & similar playing style.
-Youth is hungrier a lot of the time and their bodies are more durable.
-Youth also improves, meaning that as the team plays against better competition, the team should get better.

Hopefully, going forward more teams adopt the Sassuolo/Empoli model and fewer adopt the Udinese model b/c frankly Udinese adds nothing to Serie A. Their best players go abroad, and their overrated talent ends up taking away spots from promising domestic players. I'm all for diversity in the league, but that's a different issue than keeping your domestic pipeline robust. It's the strongest protection a league can have in the face of increasing international marketplace.

And for the record, Conte's pickup of Caligiuri seems brilliant. Schurrle was expected to go in and win his spot when signed, but it was almost always Perisic or Schurrle that began as a substitute.

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
Nah, he just said he wants to try out a bunch of non-Juve players, to see how they will fit together, and with which he can work in the future.
And I thought those 34 names were just those called for the training retreat, not for the upcoming matches, unless I understood it wrong. Would think at least for the qualifiers he would include the Juve players.

macvc

Jun 4, 2015
So Mastour said he chose Morocco because he feels more Moroccan than Italian? More like because he will never make it with the Azzurri despite the team currently being at an all time low

Ragazza

Calciopoli Director
Jul 22, 2013
So Mastour said he chose Morocco because he feels more Moroccan than Italian? More like because he will never make it with the Azzurri despite the team currently being at an all time low
People with dual nationality can never win it seems. If they choose the "smaller" country people will say it's because they're scared and not good enough to play for the big guns, and if they choose the "bigger" one it means they're a glory hunting cunt.

Can't say I watch Milan primavera to know how much is overhyping (all I've seen are YouTube clips and weird selfies in elevators), but it's too early to say whether or not he would be good enough for the Azzurri.

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Kids today for you, they want it all straight away, he probably thinks he's a star already.
You would think the possibility of playing in and winning the world and euro cup would be enough to sway someone who was born and bread in Italy. He must be telling the truth and really identifies as Moroccan.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Seriously, players can't possibly win when choosing NTs :D
People only care when it's a good player :D This kid hasn't even played a real game yet and people are getting worked up.

Obviously I now hope he turns into the next Freddy Adu or a useless show pony like Adel Taarabt, but that is besides the point :D

BTW, where is Erli Cupi these days? Surely he has won the Ballon D'Or by now?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Of course he is, and people are within their rights to criticise players who don't play for their birth country. Enough of it goes on around here.
What I'm saying is its not clear cut, he could have chosen either way and personally i think he's well within his rights to play for either.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously, players can't possibly win when choosing NTs :D
So true :p

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
It's likely, they are very proud like that @Cheesio :D
:stuckup: Really surprised by his decision, no one expected him to chose Morocco, hope it doesn't come back to bite him in the ass. But seeing someone like Haddadi being called to the Spanish NT only to deny him the possibility of playing with Morocco am sure played a part in his decision.

People only care when it's a good player :D This kid hasn't even played a real game yet and people are getting worked up.

Obviously I now hope he turns into the next Freddy Adu or a useless show pony like Adel Taarabt, but that is besides the point :D
:D

Yeah seen some footage of his, talent is there but doubt he will amount to something big, i am not sure the mental aspect is there just like every other moroccan player.

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
So yeah apparently, Milan's super talent Mastour decided to play for Morocco instead of Italy. I hoped he panned out because he was Italian, but now that he is declaring for Morocco & is on bbilan I hope he goes the way of Kerlon.
I find it disgusting. Italy gives his family and him a chance to succeed coming as migrants and this is how they show their thankful. They should stop these migrants from coming over to Italy, especially with the recent issues surrounding migrants and Italy. Why are these ungrateful people flooding in the country and have no sense of nationality or gratitude to Italy.

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
I find it disgusting. Italy gives his family and him a chance to succeed coming as migrants and this is how they show their thankful. They should stop these migrants from coming over to Italy, especially with the recent issues surrounding migrants and Italy. Why are these ungrateful people flooding in the country and have no sense of nationality or gratitude to Italy.
:sergio:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)