Azzurri Thread (39 Viewers)

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
so who will play RB? Balzaretti did a great job (defensively) vs Germany, but sucked going forward. Do you guys think Abate should start?

Halabalu

Dec 5, 2011
God damn... Blzareti has shown a great physical condition and was very usefull... i can't see any reasons why Prandelli should change something. Maggio has played two firts matches which was failed ! The one little demerit of Blazaretti is that the RB is not his position !

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
It needs to be, in my opinion, Balzaretti on the left and Abate on the right.

Italy is a much wider team when these two are on the pitch.

Chiellini is certainly better defensively than Balzaretti, but as he does when asked to play LB at Juve, he tends to drift more towards the center, which makes the team too narrow.

Abate was coming around before his injury, and having these two on the flanks will provide for the best offensive tactics. They are going to need to make Spain's fullbacks work very hard in order to have a chance to win, because once Spain smells blood, Arbeloa, and especially Alba go full throttle down the pitch.

Italy will need to fight fire with fire in this case.

The advantage that Italy have right now is that their forwards are more in form than Spain's at the moment, but I don't think for a second that Spain will underestimate them the way they did in their first meeting

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Very impressive performance from Italy.

Shame they couldn't get the third goal that they deserved.

As far as I can recall, Germany only created one clear chance in the whole game (when Lahm shot over). There aren't many teams who have been able to restrict Germany like that over the last four years.

Team created chances as they have throughout the tournament, but they were clinical for the first time.

Loew made a real mess of things with his lineup. Putting Kroos into the team instead of a winger, and moving Oezil wide, was, I assume, an attempt to get in about Pirlo and disrupt Italy's play in midfield.

However, the change did far more to disrupt Germany's play. The couldn't stretch the pitch the way they normally do and Oezil couldn't be as influential starting from a wider position.

I really don't understand why Loew should have made such a change. Surely with a team as strong as Germany have - and with them being fresher than Italy - he should have backed him team to dominate the game by playing the way they normally do.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Is everyone assuming, in arguing about Italy's fullbacks, that Prandelli will stick with 4-3-1-2?

Must be a chance he'll start with 3-5-2 after it working pretty well against Spain in the group game.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Is everyone assuming, in arguing about Italy's fullbacks, that Prandelli will stick with 4-3-1-2?

Must be a chance he'll start with 3-5-2 after it working pretty well against Spain in the group game.
I think he will stick with a 4-3-1-2.

If Spain have their defenders high up on the pitch, it could spell disaster for them, with the form that Balotelli and Cassano have shown recently. I feel that the combination of Abate/Balzaretti will bring more to the pitch in their respective positions than what Maggio/Giaccherini would provide.

Also, with the way that Montolivo played in this last match, there would be no room for him in a 3-5-2 formation. De Rossi is healthy again, and he needs to be alongside Pirlo in whichever formation that prandelli chooses.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
well, seems like Low got it wrong, really didn't expect that. It seemed like the right thing to do on paper. Well, anyway, he picked the italian way of approaching a game (build his team based on the opponent) and got dominated by the true italian masters. Props to Prandelli, well deserved victory.

and I, as an assumed fan, was wow'ed by Marchisio and De Rossi. Such beasts. After playing so many minutes, I thought they'd be dragging themselves against Germany, but then there's that. Outstanding. And unlucky of the principino in front of goal, I hope he's keeping that luck for the final screamer. :xfinger:

Bonucci and Montolivo, so much doubts, so much proves. Absolute revelations. :delpiero:

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
stick to the same exact formation and players from yesterday. Montolivo at attacking forward behind Cassano and Balo has been very effective, he also compensates for Pirlo when he goes forward by falling back.... Great tactical find by Prandelli. We will get chances vs Spain the key is to convert, if Balotelli has it going again it could be a long night for Spain.

Gabriel

Killed By Death
May 23, 2010
I see them as the lesser of two evils.

That being said, i do not see any resemblance between Spain and Barcelona, Barcelona play pass and move football, Spain on the other hand do not have the word move in their dictionary. They're way too static to be compared to Barcelona's style of football. and yes they have probably been the most boring team in the Euro's. You know its bad when Italy plays better, more attractive football than you do(i think even Barca fans would agree with that, if they're impartial).

So, me supporting Spain is not because of their football, its not because i like them, its just because i do not like Italy at all. *gets ready for the hurling of insults*
I fucking hate Spain, but against Italy I want them to win.

I don't think the spaniards are scared now as some were saying yesterday, they're so arrogant nowadays that I bet they feel Italy should fear them, not the other way around.

Spain is a far different opponent than Germany though and Italy won't get to dominate play in midfield against Spain's 5 (maybe 6 mfs) Pirlo is a master while De Rossi and Marchisio are good but they will have to come against Xavi, Xabi, Iniesta, Busquets, Silva and maybe Fabregas. It's too much I'd say. Expect Italy to soak up the pressure.

With that said I hope Spain gets a striker on the field with enough time and not in the 70th minute, I don't think del Bosque will start a striker like Torres or Llorente, and fucking Negredo shouldn't play.

Italy on the other hand could exploit Arbeloa's lack of footballing ability on the counter but they will need to get the ball back and get it to Pirlo first.

DIECI

Jul 12, 2011
well, seems like Low got it wrong, really didn't expect that. It seemed like the right thing to do on paper. Well, anyway, he picked the italian way of approaching a game (build his team based on the opponent) and got dominated by the true italian masters. Props to Prandelli, well deserved victory.

and I, as an assumed fan, was wow'ed by Marchisio and De Rossi. Such beasts. After playing so many minutes, I thought they'd be dragging themselves against Germany, but then there's that. Outstanding. And unlucky of the principino in front of goal, I hope he's keeping that luck for the final screamer. :xfinger:

Bonucci and Montolivo, so much doubts, so much proves. Absolute revelations. :delpiero:
Seriously!!!! Bonucci has been massively great in the back! (good for us next season) and Montolivo wow, that pass to Balo was insane... I was surprised it came from him, I thought only Pirlo could deliver balls like that :delpiero:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 34)