Azzurri Thread (41 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
You really support Spain though? I think their football has been horrible and boring. Italy on the other hand have played some very exciting games and are definitely the team of the tournament. I know you don't like Italy, but I can't comprehend that someone would support Spain in this final. Even the Belgian and Dutch media, traditionally very Barça oriented, are fed up with the pointless game the Spanish play. The way they played against France was just cruel. They were always going to win and instead of spoiling the fans, they decided to stop the game completely. I don't understand why you'd support such a team.
I see them as the lesser of two evils.

That being said, i do not see any resemblance between Spain and Barcelona, Barcelona play pass and move football, Spain on the other hand do not have the word move in their dictionary. They're way too static to be compared to Barcelona's style of football. and yes they have probably been the most boring team in the Euro's. You know its bad when Italy plays better, more attractive football than you do(i think even Barca fans would agree with that, if they're impartial).

So, me supporting Spain is not because of their football, its not because i like them, its just because i do not like Italy at all. *gets ready for the hurling of insults*

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I see them as the lesser of two evils.

That being said, i do not see any resemblance between Spain and Barcelona, Barcelona play pass and move football, Spain on the other hand do not have the word move in their dictionary. They're way too static to be compared to Barcelona's style of football. and yes they have probably been the most boring team in the Euro's. You know its bad when Italy plays better, more attractive football than you do(i think even Barca fans would agree with that, if they're impartial).

So, me supporting Spain is not because of their football, its not because i like them, its just because i do not like Italy at all. *gets ready for the hurling of insults*
Well, I understand that better than supporting Spain because of Spain. It's a little bit petty, but we all have teams we hate. I cannot stand the French for example and will support pretty much anyone who plays against them, just because I hate the mentality of their players and coaches. I won't even try to say that I'm not biased :D.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Most people who know my views on football here know that i always appreciate positive, attacking football. I just want to say that i think Spain being a positive team is the biggest myth ever. They are a negative team, second only to England in that respect. Having possession of the ball alone is not positive, if you have no intent of actually aggressively attacking the opposition and creating chances. Spain are content(and i'm sure its an intentional strategy) with keeping the ball, in the middle and passing it around so that the opposition does not have a chance to attack(you can't attack without the ball)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Most people who know my views on football here know that i always appreciate positive, attacking football. I just want to say that i think Spain being a positive team is the biggest myth ever. They are a negative team, second only to England in that respect. Having possession of the ball alone is not positive, if you have no intent of actually aggressively attacking the opposition and creating chances. Spain are content(and i'm sure its an intentional strategy) with keeping the ball, in the middle and passing it around so that the opposition does not have a chance to attack(you can't attack without the ball)
Very true. And it's why I loathe Spain. IMO they're the most negative team of the tournament. But, of course, the strategy does work. When the pressure is really on them though, as it will be against Italy and it was against Portugal, they too suffer. The Italians are so damn good in midfield (IMO the best midfield of the tournament) that it will be a very tough game.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Very true. And it's why I loathe Spain. IMO they're the most negative team of the tournament. But, of course, the strategy does work. When the pressure is really on them though, as it will be against Italy and it was against Portugal, they too suffer. The Italians are so damn good in midfield (IMO the best midfield of the tournament) that it will be a very tough game.
Ya, the strategy has been effective for them. Italy have surprised alot, even their fans(most of them) did not expect them to reach the final, so i won't write them off. But its going to be very tough against this Spanish team, that just frustrates oppositions out of the game.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I expected them to get to the final.

---------- Post added 29.06.2012 at 17:35 ----------

Italy-Germany final anyone?

I don't know why but I have a feeling Holland will choke.
:klin:

Close enough, I thought Italy would top their group so I expected Germany to beat Spain in the semis.

Didn't expect Netherlands to choke that bad though :lol:

Reported for off topic.

Now back to the Euro's. You really think the Italians will do anything in this tournament. They're such a mediocre team imo. Just mentioning Italy and Final in the same sentence is laughable.

This thread seriously needs Andy.
Oh come on man. I'd be mad at real teams with an actual chance of winning the tournament, teams like Spain, Germany, Holland. Italy? No Italy is just a joke to me.
A strong midfield?

I'd actually say that Italy's midfield is their weak point.
:lol:

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Agree

Didn't Herrera back in the days say: If the opponent don't have the ball, they won't score?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I expected them to get to the final.

---------- Post added 29.06.2012 at 17:35 ----------

:klin:

Close enough, I thought Italy would top their group so I expected Germany to beat Spain in the semis.

Didn't expect Netherlands to choke that bad though :lol:

:lol:
Funny, but also a wee bit unfair. Italy have the ability to completely change face during a tournament and they really were a weak side going in. They can really rise above themselves though and they have been nothing short of great. If you'd asked me what I thought of the team before the tournament I would have said they were mediocre. I still say they're not like they were in 2006, but they're such a cohesive unit that they've become very tough to beat.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
I disagree, even though this side is nowhere near as good as previous ones, it was always obvious that Italy has the quality and right coach to progess far into the tournament. Add a very strong undefeated scudetto Juventus backbone into the team and I think it wasn't that hard to see that they would go far.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I disagree, even though this side is nowhere near as good as previous ones, it was always obvious that Italy has the quality and right coach to progess far into the tournament. Add a very strong undefeated scudetto Juventus backbone into the team and I think it wasn't that hard to see that they would go far.
With a bit of bad luck they would have been out in the group stages. IMO it was really hit or miss. Cassano, Balotelli, Balzaretti, Bonucci.. All choices that easily could have gone wrong. It turned out well and Italy kicked ass, but it could have gone otherwise. I do agree with you about Prandelli, definitely the man for the job and it's great that he recognised how Italy can only do well when they attack. I never understood the more defensive Italian mindset as their most talented men are very often their strikers.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
With a bit of bad luck they would have been out in the group stages. IMO it was really hit or miss. Cassano, Balotelli, Balzaretti, Bonucci.. All choices that easily could have gone wrong. It turned out well and Italy kicked ass, but it could have gone otherwise. I do agree with you about Prandelli, definitely the man for the job and it's great that he recognised how Italy can only do well when they attack. I never understood the more defensive Italian mindset as their most talented men are very often their strikers.
Maybe but then they have the experience of WC 2010 (regardless of whether they played or not) to make sure they didn't fuck up again.

:shifty: Do you just mean this current Italy?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If Italy wins this, apart from those Barca boys losing, the best thing that will follow as a result of Italy's win will be the fact that Juve will become attractive again. Suddenly people will again want to play together with a genius like Pirlo and be captained by Buffon. Guys like Marchisio, Bonucci and Barzagli, even Chiellini, will now be well known players, not just some Italians many players never heard of.
Star players will see Juve as a strong team that has a chance to aim for the top of Europe. The money is there too. Only the league's reputation will create some problems, but the positives should outnumber the negatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 37)