Axel Witsel - AM/CM - Zenit (23 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Nope.

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk
Wat? Definitely better imo. Lemina has far more upside, and may even be better by the end of this season, but currently, Witsel is quite a bit more reliable and solid. Technically good, rarely loses possession, good passer, decent at pretty much every aspect of the game, just nothing that really stands out. A very solid player, nothing more. Lemina, on the other hand, is still exceptionally raw, and loses the ball a ton, makes poor passes, positionally a little lacking... but has flashes of exceptional play. Needs to work on making those more of the norm.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Here is a quick summary of his stats compared to some top players who distribute & Hernanes & Lemina.

A few things to consider:
1) Not all of these players have identical roles. I think all do play the distributor role for their teams but some have more attacking freedom than others and some have more defensive duties than others. Some are occasionally used as explicitly CAM or DM too.

2) The sample size for Lemina and Hernanes is very small. So the real comparison is between witsel and other top players. I used 2014/15 for Verratti because of his injury last year.

3) Witsel plays in a much weaker league but I do not know whether that affects passing stats the way it affects goals/assists.

4) I used league figures since every one of those plays for a dominating team in their league, while Axel and Moutinho play for weak teams in CL.

5) I never watched him play. So if he is the distributor of Zenit then I am very underwhelmed by this signing and would rather go for Bastian.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I think we can easily reach an agreement with Zenit here for around 18m + bonuses. My guess is that we will wait till the last minute to finalize as we will try one last push for Matuidi before settling on Witsel.

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
He really strikes as a homeless man Khedira.

no purpose in bringing this guy. If we just want another fresh body, just use Kastanos or Macek who are good primavera players.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I don't think you know what a tackle is. I never said Wasyl didn't go for the ball. Funny you should mention that btw, because Witsel went for the ball too. Your argument is all emotion and no reason. I get it. Poor guy broke his leg.

Exactly. But that doesn't suit everyone's narrative.
So if I am getting you straight, your point here is that players shouldn't try and shoot the ball with all their strength because they are risking breaking their legs?

Aug 12, 2015
If we buy Witsel, it´s ok but nothing special. It´s the same when you buy Skoda or Fiat, they are fine but they are not Maserati or Mercedes and you will not win a race with them.
that´s the same with witsel. He is ok but you will not win the CL with him.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So if I am getting you straight, your point here is that players shouldn't try and shoot the ball with all their strength because they are risking breaking their legs?
You're not getting it straight. Wasyl didn't shoot the ball. He made a tackle for it. And quite the strong one.

But I get it. You feel sorry for him and aren't able to separate the end result from the actions of both players and are letting it cloud your judgment. That's a shame, but you're hardly the first I guess.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I guess its quite hard to leave Russia/Ukraine, teams are wealthy there and dont need to sell, they will milk every potential buyer.
Like now. He clearly wants to go to Juve and has said he is willing to see out his contract and come here on a Bosman. It smells a lot like the Llorente situation. If Zenit are smart, they should basically take our offer of 15m + bonuses (they might hold out for more) and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)