Arturo Vidal (54 Viewers)

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Are you happy with the other CM options being Khedira, Asamoah, Sturaro, Pereyra and Padoin?
Actually, I am.

I have always rated Khedira very highly in terms of his abilities and, on his wages, he is a starter for us. Sturaro needs development but his match against Real Madrid showed us what he can become with proper time. Pereyra had a great last-half of a season with us once he settled.

I mean think of it this way. With Khedira starting in Vidal's place, he is being replaced with a World Cup winning, very good midfielder. Not Vidal (in his prime) level but Vidal hasn't been Vidal until VERY recently. And even then, he has had no downtime. He just played the entire off-season for Chile. And he was amazing. But he's had no break. On knees that were already a worry for us. Especially how vicious he plays.

Asamoah would start in midfield for every other club in Serie A besides Roma if Strootman ever gets healthy. Sturaro is promising and what he showed against Real Madrid is that he is growing. Very quickly. I will not drink the koolaid and say he is ready. He is not ready. But he shows promise. Same for Pereyra but to a greater degree than Sturaro. Pereyra would also start for almost every club in Serie A besides Roma. Easily. And Padoinho is would start for every club in La Liga. How can you hate that midfield depth?

Do I think any of those players sufficiently replace Vidal at midfield, box-to-box? No, NEVER. But I think Götze at AM is better than Vidal or Pereyra at AM. It's not even close. And, let's be honest, that's where Vidal would've been placed this season with Khedira coming in and Khedira's wages. Khedira was bought to start. He won't play AM. Can't do it. Marchisio? Nope. I think Marchisio's sexy ass proved he should be in the registra place but even Khedira also has that deep CDM feel to him, distributing if needed. Pogba at AM? Please, god no. It isn't his natural fit, in my opinion, and it would stunt or slow his growth as a worldclass box-to-box. That leaves Vidal without a spot and an AM spot open. We all saw that is doesn't fit Vidal very well. He was mildly successful there but it wasn't a great fit.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
Pretty sure Vidal would feature as AM this season as I highly doubt we'd bench Khedira. Midfield with Pogba, Vidal, Khedira and Marchisio would severely lack creativity. Better to bring natural AM in that case. If that was the strategy and we close in on player like Goetze I'd be more than pleased.
Exactly.

Once Khedira was signed, I knew Vidal was our AM. And that wasn't very comforting. This transfer is heartbreaking as Vidal has been one of my favorite three players the last four years. But he no longer has a spot on our team, as insane as that sounds, if we want to start all of our midfielders. And they all need to start. You are not benching Pogba, Marchisio, Vidal or Khedira. End of story. So Vidal slides into the AM spot and we all saw how inefficient he was there. Nothing against him, it's not his natural position. Something had to give.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
I wish we sold Pogba instead. In fact I would've sold Pogba a million times over instead of Vidal.
I'd rather keep pogba than buy him with even 150m he is young and most dynamic than our other players before that injury during dortmund match he was our best player in many of matches he was probably 70% of the reason for our success in half of season he was so unlucky not to be fully healthy because of that injury pogba was not ready of that at the end of the season people make a judgment about him because of his performance when dropped from long injury

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
And I saw posts like, "Sell Pogba instead." And truly shook my head.

As much as I love Vidal, and I do. I have more love for Vidal on our team than Pogba. Vidal is close to my heart. But Pogba staying for another 1-3 years MINIMUM or Vidal isn't even close for the good of Juventus. Pogba has not even hit his ceiling. Nobody can guess how much better Pogba will get. He is fucking 22. Vidal has, whether some would like to admit it or not, probably hit his ceiling. Not just in terms of skill but in terms of fitness. And I will never let that dampen my love for him or my desire to see him stay. But JUVENTUS must continue to move forwards. As a club. Especially if Vidal requested to move. And he must've asked. There is simply no other explanation for what has occurred in the last 1-2 days unless Vidal asked to go. From everything. From the speed at which this rumor developed, to hearing VERY early on he already agreed to terms, before we even agreed to a fee. He asked to go.

Now, taking everything I said about where Vidal fits into our club and our starting 11 this coming season into consideration, then thinking about our depth at midfield, then taking into consideration possibly getting a worldclass AM in Götze, Vidal going at this time if he asked to leave is heartbreaking but probably necessary. Because, as much as I'm a fan of Vidal, I'd rather win a CL without him than never get to another one with him. End of story. Love Vidal. But I bleed Black and White not Vidal at the end of the day. I'm a Juventus fan first and foremost and a Vidal fan after. I became a Vidal fan from being a Juventus fan. And as such, I care about Juventus more (infinitely more) than I will ever care about Vidal. As harsh as that sounds.

FORZA JUVE!

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
great post

agree with eevrything
Me too. I recall many times lamenting Vidal's form and play last season. Following his injury, which does take time to recover form, he was frequently our worst player on the pitch. And as his form improved towards the end of the season, it was largely driven by his reckless abandon rather than his skill.

A healthy season might change all that. But I harbor no Illusions that the Vidal of '13-'14 was barely noticeable the following season.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
I dont know why, but Vidal hasnt grown on me as much as he has grown on many people here.......He did all he could for Juve, gave his all, gave his best, but its football, players come and go, you cant keep everyone forever in the team. The only thing i worry about is Juve, and thats it.

Oct 23, 2011
He was my favorite player once he joined us in 2011 and I am incredible sad to see him leave, on an emotional perspective. I recently spoke to a friend of mine living in Italy, who is a real 'calcio' fan. It seems the fans in Italy are less surprised by this news and actually saw it coming. The vidal of the first three years is without a doubt the best player in this current team, however this season he struggled with injuries and it also seems he changed physically. He got bulkier with perhaps a bit of overweight? Although he improved back to his usual self defensively in the last couple of months, he continued to struggle in ball possession, often looking a bit clumsy. If he'd get back to his best form he is undoubtedly irreplaceable, the question is however whether this is going to happen. Combine this with his social fuck ups outside the pitch, i do understand the management's decision, although i'd prefer him to stay and try to get him back 100% physically.

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
Pretty shocked tbh. I'm mostly worried about what we lose as a dynamic from CM. Vidal is the sort of player who creates issues for the other team even when he isn't playing well, especially on a psychological level.

I have to admit, I really didn't like many of his performances last season. Even by the end of the season when he was back to beasting on the defensive side of his game you can see he just lacks something with the ball at his feet, and a yard of speed seems to have gone. He runs like he has just shit himself, I'm convinced he still needs a lot of time to get to his physical peak in terms of his movement.

We lose prestige by selling him, but really I'm not hugely bothered by all that. Much depends who we bring in. When we brought him in he was nobody in terms of image, yet instantly made an impact.

In terms of the fee his market value was questioned some weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I said he was worth about €40m-€45m now, with €60m-€70m at his peak (I'd love to search for this but the function is broken), so I'm not really going to get too worked up about selling for €37m + €3m or whatever variation it is up to €40m, especially if non-sporting factors have indeed come into play.

I'll simply miss him as a player, the Vidal at his peak, and also the player who gave everything for this shirt even when he was tired or struggling.
GREAT post mate,
one of the best posts lately in this thread.
:tup:

As much as I love Vidal, make no mistake. If we sell Vidal and replace him with Götze, it is an upgrade for our formation and team.

Vidal is a beast, nearly a legend. But Götze at AM compared to Vidal there last season. No comparison.
Fo sure.
Pretty sure Vidal would feature as AM this season as I highly doubt we'd bench Khedira. Midfield with Pogba, Vidal, Khedira and Marchisio would severely lack creativity. Better to bring natural AM in that case. If that was the strategy and we close in on player like Goetze I'd be more than pleased.
One thing is for certain - we need some AM creativity a lot more than we need another direct CM replacement.
:agree:

Exactly we surely need AM more than anything else.
We'll do fine in midfield.

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Actually, I am.

I have always rated Khedira very highly in terms of his abilities and, on his wages, he is a starter for us. Sturaro needs development but his match against Real Madrid showed us what he can become with proper time. Pereyra had a great last-half of a season with us once he settled.

I mean think of it this way. With Khedira starting in Vidal's place, he is being replaced with a World Cup winning, very good midfielder. Not Vidal (in his prime) level but Vidal hasn't been Vidal until VERY recently. And even then, he has had no downtime. He just played the entire off-season for Chile. And he was amazing. But he's had no break. On knees that were already a worry for us. Especially how vicious he plays.

Asamoah would start in midfield for every other club in Serie A besides Roma if Strootman ever gets healthy. Sturaro is promising and what he showed against Real Madrid is that he is growing. Very quickly. I will not drink the koolaid and say he is ready. He is not ready. But he shows promise. Same for Pereyra but to a greater degree than Sturaro. Pereyra would also start for almost every club in Serie A besides Roma. Easily. And Padoinho is would start for every club in La Liga. How can you hate that midfield depth?

Do I think any of those players sufficiently replace Vidal at midfield, box-to-box? No, NEVER. But I think Götze at AM is better than Vidal or Pereyra at AM. It's not even close. And, let's be honest, that's where Vidal would've been placed this season with Khedira coming in and Khedira's wages. Khedira was bought to start. He won't play AM. Can't do it. Marchisio? Nope. I think Marchisio's sexy ass proved he should be in the registra place but even Khedira also has that deep CDM feel to him, distributing if needed. Pogba at AM? Please, god no. It isn't his natural fit, in my opinion, and it would stunt or slow his growth as a worldclass box-to-box. That leaves Vidal without a spot and an AM spot open. We all saw that is doesn't fit Vidal very well. He was mildly successful there but it wasn't a great fit.
Then why we permanently sign Pereyra when we intend to buy AM? And also if we are complete in midfield having in mind that Asa can play there and Sturaro is available?

DUKAC

Feb 29, 2012
Actually, I am.

Then why we permanently sign Pereyra when we intend to buy AM? And also if we are complete in midfield having in mind that Asa can play there and Sturaro is available too?

Knowah

Jan 28, 2013
Then why we permanently sign Pereyra when we intend to buy AM? And also if we are complete in midfield having in mind that Asa can play there and Sturaro is available?
Because Pereyra showed signs of being very good, got his international debut, and his fee wasn't insane. Depth is depth. And it's not like we won't have enough fixtures to get him starts.

After all that Pereyra showed, why would we not sign him? Even if we knew we were going to sign a AM? I mean, he is probably our only good backup at AM at this point. Sturaro, Asamoah to cover the midfield positions. Pereyra too, to a degree. But we still need cover for AM.

Depth.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Pereyra is ofc bench option for either CM or AM position. Versatile player that is useful to have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)