Arthur (70 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I totally agree here. Keep Locatelli, Mckennie and him. Add Rovella and buy one starting caliber midfielder (Zakaria or Camara if we are so broke but I would keep an eye on Sassuolo’s Fratessi) and we have 5 good midfielders.

Loan Fagiolo and Ranocchia to Serie A teams as well and hopefully at least one of them is ready.
Arthur is not “good” by any stretch of the imagination. He’s as mediocre as CMs come. Mckennie isn’t much better but at least he works hard and looks like he has upside and could improve. Arthur has been mediocre rubbish for a few years now. The only reason to keep him is the stupid deal we did for him.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
TBF if he is not sold he should at least get a 5 games in a row to check what he is made of. He had that when Pirlo was at helm and looked good, right now we cant really say he was given a chance under Allegri. While bums like Rabiot and Benta can ruin our games and still get plenty of playing time.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
TBF if he is not sold he should at least get a 5 games in a row to check what he is made of. He had that when Pirlo was at helm and looked good, right now we cant really say he was given a chance under Allegri. While bums like Rabiot and Benta can ruin our games and still get plenty of playing time.
i'm sure he'll get his run of games once his fitness allows it. locatelli is supposed to be young and inexperienced for allegri, yet he's playing constantly - cause he's good and fit. arthur's neither, at least this was the case so far. i actually root for the guy, his holding skill is something we could use.

Jun 16, 2020
Arthur is not “good” by any stretch of the imagination. He’s as mediocre as CMs come. Mckennie isn’t much better but at least he works hard and looks like he has upside and could improve. Arthur has been mediocre rubbish for a few years now. The only reason to keep him is the stupid deal we did for him.
I disagree, his ability to hold the ball differences him from ‘standard’ mediocre midfielders. I think with the right guidance and environment he could become a very useful midfielder.

We tent to overlook that he had a nasty injury, and at first we waited with surgery as they hoped it would heal by time, and afterwards he needed surgery. Made us lose time on him.

It are the circumstances that made people mostly dislike him imo (high book value that makes him unsellable, and of course the injury plus having the most horrible midfield in our history).

Should start without a doubt over Rabiot and Bentancur. Basically our only midfielder who’s able to keep two opponents busy, so useful to create space for attackers.

He does lose the ball in dangerous places from time to time, but that’s probably inevitable for players with his characteristics.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Imo it's silly to field both Locatelli and Arthur while comparing the two Arthur is miles behind Locatelli in all aspects of the game.

Arthur also had only glimpses of potential but so far he was below average for us and we should ship him off with the first decent offer.

Just please sign someone who will run his lungs out, some player like ex Radja or ex Vidal. We need an engine and not a lethargic pussy in the middle.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I disagree, his ability to hold the ball differences him from ‘standard’ mediocre midfielders. I think with the right guidance and environment he could become a very useful midfielder.

We tent to overlook that he had a nasty injury, and at first we waited with surgery as they hoped it would heal by time, and afterwards he needed surgery. Made us lose time on him.

It are the circumstances that made people mostly dislike him imo (high book value that makes him unsellable, and of course the injury plus having the most horrible midfield in our history).

Should start without a doubt over Rabiot and Bentancur. Basically our only midfielder who’s able to keep two opponents busy, so useful to create space for attackers.

He does lose the ball in dangerous places from time to time, but that’s probably inevitable for players with his characteristics.
Holding the ball means nothing on its own. His passing is poor in terms of being progressive, he rarely looks up field, always back or to the side, he doesn’t have the skill to make long passes or at least doesn’t attempt too, and he releases the ball too slowly. He’s a mediocre player.

Last edited:

DanielSz

Sep 6, 2014
Imo it's silly to field both Locatelli and Arthur while comparing the two Arthur is miles behind Locatelli in all aspects of the game.

Arthur also had only glimpses of potential but so far he was below average for us and we should ship him off with the first decent offer.

Just please sign someone who will run his lungs out, some player like ex Radja or ex Vidal. We need an engine and not a lethargic pussy in the middle.
so all we need is someone that will run and has an engine?

:benta:

Strickland

May 17, 2019

I think the motivation to field both is clear - Arthur can stay deeper, bring the ball out of defense while this gives Loca more chances to shine in the b2b role in which we're severely lacking. As soon as Loca moved up against Roma he scored that header and provided several key through balls, I'd prefer to see more of him in that role.

I too would like us to sign a defensive monster that works for 2 players and frequently scores goals on top of it, but that's highly unlikely to happen :D

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
A replacement for what lol. What is Arthur providing that we have to "replace" before getting rid of him?
Agree. If we're looking for a "replacement" for his spot on the bench, bring up a 19 year old who we can throw on for the last 10 minutes of a match.

But I do think Arthur has shown himself to be a much better option for us than Ramsey or even recent Rabiot. Arthur looks a lot more confident on the ball, makes way better passes, and is less flimsey with possession. All comparison to Rabiot since Ramsey hasn't played.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Agree. If we're looking for a "replacement" for his spot on the bench, bring up a 19 year old who we can throw on for the last 10 minutes of a match.

But I do think Arthur has shown himself to be a much better option for us than Ramsey or even recent Rabiot. Arthur looks a lot more confident on the ball, makes way better passes, and is less flimsey with possession. All comparison to Rabiot since Ramsey hasn't played.
meh he's looked more tidy on the ball but these have been 20 minute cameos when he comes on fresh and everyone else is tiring.

When someone on the form of Rabiot starts ahead of him you know Allegri doesn't rate him at all

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
A replacement for what lol. What is Arthur providing that we have to "replace" before getting rid of him?
yeah, basically everyone who's available for 500 minutes during the 2nd half of the season and can pass the ball accurately within a 10m radius could replace him lol

seriously though, i think the club still rates him somehow. he could be good if he could stay fit for a couple of months and get some continuity. his half an hour vs roma that allowed loca to move further up the pitch is a good sign.

damn, we're grasping at straws aren't we :rofl: the state of this squad... thanks tici.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
meh he's looked more tidy on the ball but these have been 20 minute cameos when he comes on fresh and everyone else is tiring.

When someone on the form of Rabiot starts ahead of him you know Allegri doesn't rate him at all
All good points.

Rabiot's form is insanely frustrating because if he just played at his form of last year, which wasn't amazing but wasn't as bad as this year, we'd look entirely different as a club.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 59)

• almo