Antonio Conte (162 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 6, 2015
But he doesent really have to tell his players to lose or draw, hes a coach who knows how to get the needed result and knows how to set up his tactics for a draw so thats what he should have done. Zaza sub was a mistake for example, could have put on Immobile, its still an attacking sub but with less danger of scoring a goal. The funny thing is, they were even playing like they are going for a draw, minimal attacking threat all game, subs in a defensive CM for an attacking wingback, basically apart from the goal that was a classic grinding out the result game, and the goal came out of nothing. a draw was enough for them to qualify 100% and would give them excellent chances to finish 2nd, he should have known that and going into the end phase of the game with 0-0 gave him exactly what he needed for that
I agree that Conte went to the game with the minimum target being a draw and a certain qualification but I don't agree that one should in anyway try to make his team play badly and lose points on purpose. This EURO format sucks though it's stupid that we even have to speculate with such things just use the CL format where they draw the matches after each round. A team that potentially has 9 points after the group stage should be facing one of the best thirds not one of the best seconds.

Buy on AliExpress.com

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I agree that Conte went to the game with the minimum target being a draw and a certain qualification but I don't agree that one should in anyway try to make his team play badly and lose points on purpose. This EURO format sucks though it's stupid that we even have to speculate with such things just use the CL format where they draw the matches after each round. A team that potentially has 9 points after the group stage should be facing one of the best thirds not one of the best seconds.
The format is garbage, agree, but one has to be able to make some calculations before each game and see what result benefits him more. This is basically choosing between a certain final appearance and a likely earlier exit were talking about, no matter how much intentionally drawing or losing isnt really a saint thing to do, you have to know what result benefits you more in the long run and go for it. You have to take such factors into consideration before each game, otherwise you end up going up against current European and World Champions and the host nation which are all the top 3 favorites according to anyone who follows international football even a little

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
i completely agree with the system being garbage, but what you want Conte to do basically is match fixing and he prolly isn't eager to do so after all the shit he went through.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
i completely agree with the system being garbage, but what you want Conte to do basically is match fixing and he prolly isn't eager to do so after all the shit he went through.
I want him to do what he did vs Sweden, minus the Eder goal. Did anyone even think about matchfixing during that game? I didnt, the only thing I was thinking about is how garbage Eder and Pelle are

Fake Melo

Ghost Division
Sep 3, 2010
But he doesent really have to tell his players to lose or draw, hes a coach who knows how to get the needed result and knows how to set up his tactics for a draw so thats what he should have done. Zaza sub was a mistake for example, could have put on Immobile, its still an attacking sub but with less danger of scoring a goal. The funny thing is, they were even playing like they are going for a draw, minimal attacking threat all game, subs in a defensive CM for an attacking wingback, basically apart from the goal that was a classic grinding out the result game, and the goal came out of nothing. a draw was enough for them to qualify 100% and would give them excellent chances to finish 2nd, he should have known that and going into the end phase of the game with 0-0 gave him exactly what he needed for that
Alright. There it is. Not taking you seriously anymore.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
:lol:

I'm not a big fan of Conte, but to blame him for winning games is fucked up! Also why not blame Eder who actually scored a goal, maybe Conte kept him because he knew how shit Eder is and expected him not to score...

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
:sergio: can't believe what I'm reading. This is the first time I've heard a manager getting blamed for winning. If this was Juve and max the story would be so different. I get the dislike for Conte but this is all too personal and built on sheer hate.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

I'm not a big fan of Conte, but to blame him for winning games is fucked up! Also why not blame Eder who actually scored a goal, maybe Conte kept him because he knew how shit Eder is and expected him not to score...
i blamed both all along btw but that might be the case

also, its not as simple as you describe it "blaming him for winning games". Spain-Germany-France vs winner of group F (Portugal in "worst case scenario")-Wales (if they win their game)-Poland/Croatia (most likely). this is like me telling you to go from Sarajevo to Zagreb and to chose whichever route you want and you chose Belgrade, Athens, Bucharest, Kiev, Moscow, Warsaw, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Milan, Ljubljana, Zagreb. and then a bear attacks you while youre taking a break to piss somewhere in Russia and you die

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012

That indeed has got to be one of the lamest things i've read on the forum.

I bet Del Bosque asked his players to lose so they could get a harder path :agree:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011

also, its not as simple as you describe it "blaming him for winning games". Spain-Germany-France vs winner of group F (Portugal in "worst case scenario")-Wales (if they win their game)-Poland/Croatia (most likely). this is like me telling you to go from Sarajevo to Zagreb and to chose whichever route you want and you chose Belgrade, Athens, Bucharest, Kiev, Moscow, Warsaw, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Marseille, Milan, Ljubljana, Zagreb. and then a bear attacks you while youre taking a break to piss somewhere in Russia and you die
:lol2: :tup:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
can't believe what I'm reading. This is the first time I've heard a manager getting blamed for winning. If this was Juve and max the story would be so different. I get the dislike for Conte but this is going personal.
i dont dislike Conte, im not one of his "haters", but ive been telling since before the tournament started that 2nd place should be the goal and explaining the benefits of finishing 2nd in this group (Spain losing yesterday makes it even better), and thats the reason i criticize him. i always want Italy to win the major tournament they play in and this is Gigis last chance to win a EURO so im extra mad

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005

But how many teams played to finish second so far? Your point would make a sense if the game vs Sweden was the last game in the group and then you could make some calculations, and didn't you read Buffon statement where he is grateful Italy already qualified and can play relaxed game tonight. Also what about other teams in this tough part of the bracket, you have England, Spain, France and Germany, I never heard someone said how they should play for the result that will get them teams like Iceland etc.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
As if big nations like Italy, i mean a footballing nation as decorated as Italy think about what path is harder or what path might be easier. They just go out there and try to win every game they possibly can. Leave that to the smaller teams to make those calculations who have no hope in hell of winning the tournament so they could try to get as far as possible. The way the top teams have been playing this tournament, Italy should fancy their chances against any team.

But yeah, lets blame Conte because Spain lost yesterday lol.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
But how many teams played to finish second so far? Your point would make a sense if the game vs Sweden was the last game in the group and then you could make some calculations, and didn't you read Buffon statement where he is grateful Italy already qualified and can play relaxed game tonight. Also what about other teams in this tough part of the bracket, you have England, Spain, France and Germany, I never heard someone said how they should play for the result that will get them teams like Iceland etc.
because they would qualify with a draw for sure. after round 1 the situation was this:

Italy 2:0 3pts
Sweden 1:1 1pts
Ireland 1:1 1pts
Belgium 0:2 0pts

then if Italy drew Sweden....

Italy 2:0 4pts
Sweden 1:1 2pts
Ireland 1:1 1pts
Belgium 0:2 0pts

Belgium played Ireland later and regardless of the result Italy would qualify (as one of the best 3rd placed teams in the "worst" case scenario)

Italy 4pts Italy 4pts Italy 4pts
Belgium 3pts Ireland 4pts Sweden 2pts
Sweden 2pts Sweden 2pts Ireland 2pts
Ireland 1pts Belgium 0pts Belgium 1pts

the bolded is how it ended after Belgium won so with a draw or loss vs Ireland (he would probably field a B team so thats likely), and with Belgium winning vs Sweden, Italy finishes 2nd. if Sweden wins they would need a loss vs Ireland and in case of a draw they would finish 1st 100%. this is easy calculation and this should have been considered before and during the Sweden game definitely

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
As if big nations like Italy, i mean a footballing nation as decorated as Italy think about what path is harder or what path might be easier. They just go out there and try to win every game they possibly can. Leave that to the smaller teams to make those calculations who have no hope in hell of winning the tournament so they could try to get as far as possible. The way the top teams have been playing this tournament, Italy should fancy their chances against any team.

If you re-read the comments after the game with Sweden, a lot of people were saying Italy were idiots to win. I don't know wy it's so hard for some people to understand a simple concept: sometimes it's to your advantage not to win.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013

nope, blame him because he didnt keep the draw vs Sweden. and ofcourse you care about who you play IF YOU HAVE A CHOICE. this might be the difference between winning the tournament and finishing in QF in the end so taking the harder route wasnt the smart thing to do

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone ban this clown from the Conte thread? @X
youre the only clown here. now disappear if you dont have anything to add to the discussion

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
If you re-read the comments after the game with Sweden, a lot of people were saying Italy were idiots to win. I don't know wy it's so hard for some people to understand a simple concept: sometimes it's to your advantage not to win.
How can you blame or criticize someone for winning ? Jesus. I suppose Conte himself should've ran on the field and made a two footed challenge on Eder before he could score that goal ?

As i said, Italy would fancy their chances against anyone in this tournament. None of the big teams have looked particularly convincing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 161)