Antonio Conte (32 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Firstly, my point has nothing to do with the defence really. If anything, they are expected to improve under a rigid system. FFS, Conte was not even allowing us to put corners into the box for fear of counters.

And I don't mean that Conte necessarily has stopped players from progressing. Even Del Neri couldn't stop Vidal or Pogba from progressing to what they are now. Surely you know that.

I'm talking about the team's playing style. All you have to do is notice the difference in Tevez's role in the squad. Last year he was chained to Llorente, restricted only to choreographed movements with the target man. This year it seems he is free to do what he pleases. Would I say he has been even more influential? Probably yes.

But my main point is that in a big match, when you lack any form of improvisation, you are doomed. When Tevez is still performing the same combinations with Llorente that surely the opponent has seen many times, it is difficult to produce anything above your potential. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tevez has performed better in the CL under Allegri so far.

Obviously there is not much of a comparison to make so far as Allegri has opted to continue the 3-5-2 and is only now seriously investigating a change. In the 3-5-2 there really is only freedom for Tevez's position and we can see a clear difference there but I would never expect Allegri to tell Lichtsteiner or Asamoah that they can marauder up front as they please.

I do have a feeling that a 4 man back line will underline the difference between Conte's Juve and what our players can really give, more specifically in CL matches. Serie A is not a great measuring stick.

There are tiny examples of Allegri giving more freedom so far this season when you watch Giovinco or especially Morata. Under Conte I think Morata would have been a strict deputy of Llorente as a target man but right now we can see there is a clear difference between the two. Morata turns and heads for goal every opportunity he gets. There are times last year that Conte had to use Giovinco to replace Llorente and Giovinco was trying to replicate Llorente's function of holding the line back and staying central, which is obviously stupid.

There are other tiny examples that I can't help but notice. If you watch the Azzurri you can see the same movements from the 2 strikers that we saw for 3 years. If you watch the build up around the opponent's box you can see the CMs always set up on the corners of the box.

This year we, Juve, have seen much less of Bonucci with the ball. That's logical though and would happen organically within any team if they are left to make their own decisions. The only reason Bonucci would have so much of the ball in the past is if the coach explicitly wanted to hold possession with his back 3 and instructed the sweeper to monopolize the ball.

My overall point is that I don't think Conte's teams can ever win matches they are not supposed to win. If you take Conte's Juve and face Bayern 10 times, you will probably lose every match 2-0 or maybe tie a couple. If you take a less rigid coach you might just win 1 or 2 out of those 10 matches while the other losses might be more like 3-0 or 4-0 or even 7-1 like Garcia lol. But at least you have a chance.

That's just my view of Conte. Of course I still think he is a fine coach and he could prove me wrong with the Azzurri but right now it seems he is the same. He will win the matches he is supposed to. He will win them all 1-0, even against Albania. Even nowadays with a lesser talented Italy, does anyone really believe they are so untalented as to not be able to score more than a goal or two against some of these teams? Of course they can.
:tup:

Buy on AliExpress.com

happybum

Oct 23, 2014
what conte did is simply play very pragmatic, conservative football, with the best squad in the league, and scrapped by 1-0, 2-1 every game. the exact same thing he's doing with italy. great motivator, average tactician. It's amazing how teams like liverpool who finished 2nd scored more goals than juventus with 102 points. madrid under mourinho got 120 goals, while juventus only 80. with the same amount of points. imagine having same amount of points with 50% more goals. juventus's defence and midfield are good enough to compete for CL (if chiellini and bonucci had to defend once every blue moon like boateng they would look great too), but forwards aren't which are arguably the most important part. still this is at least a QF/SF team, and its too bad Allegri only decided to switch formations so late in the CL campaign.

it's funny how conte blamed loss to bayern on revenue, but still couldnt beat galatasaray, while the difference in revenue between galatasaray and juventus, is greater than that of bayern and juventus.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Who would you say has been restricted by Conte? From all the gifted players he have coached he got the most out of them.

A finished Pirlo was brought back to life. Tevez went back to being a top player under Conte but this is one I always thought he would do well. Llorente took some time to adapt but then had a very good run of games. Barzagli was a terrible defender and yet he became world class under him. Bonnuci was the master of poor defending and yet Conte managed to keep Juve's defense as one of the best in the world despite bonnucci. Vidal hit amazing heights last season and have steadily progressed. Conte gave Pogba the chance and he has been developing steadily ever since. Marchisio played better under Conte than pre-conte.

Who is it in specific that has been restricted by Conte? Our few creative players thrived under him more so than under any other coach. Who has been capped?
The fact that he can organize non-technical players and get the job done with them does not mean that he would restrict more creative ones. The few ones he has coached have all excelled under his guidance. Give him more creative players than judge but until then the evidence is against you.

:tup: major props my man

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
To be fair Barzagli was doing great under Delneri also and a lot of the players Conte had were high quality and woukdve performed regardless of the coach.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
what conte did is simply play very pragmatic, conservative football, with the best squad in the league, and scrapped by 1-0, 2-1 every game. the exact same thing he's doing with italy. great motivator, average tactician. It's amazing how teams like liverpool who finished 2nd scored more goals than juventus with 102 points. madrid under mourinho got 120 goals, while juventus only 80. with the same amount of points. imagine having same amount of points with 50% more goals. juventus's defence and midfield are good enough to compete for CL (if chiellini and bonucci had to defend once every blue moon like boateng they would look great too), but forwards aren't which are arguably the most important part. still this is at least a QF/SF team, and its too bad Allegri only decided to switch formations so late in the CL campaign.

it's funny how conte blamed loss to bayern on revenue, but still couldnt beat galatasaray, while the difference in revenue between galatasaray and juventus, is greater than that of bayern and juventus.
:agree: :tup:

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Firstly, my point has nothing to do with the defence really. If anything, they are expected to improve under a rigid system. FFS, Conte was not even allowing us to put corners into the box for fear of counters.

And I don't mean that Conte necessarily has stopped players from progressing. Even Del Neri couldn't stop Vidal or Pogba from progressing to what they are now. Surely you know that.

I'm talking about the team's playing style. All you have to do is notice the difference in Tevez's role in the squad. Last year he was chained to Llorente, restricted only to choreographed movements with the target man. This year it seems he is free to do what he pleases. Would I say he has been even more influential? Probably yes.

But my main point is that in a big match, when you lack any form of improvisation, you are doomed. When Tevez is still performing the same combinations with Llorente that surely the opponent has seen many times, it is difficult to produce anything above your potential. I don't think it's a coincidence that Tevez has performed better in the CL under Allegri so far.

Obviously there is not much of a comparison to make so far as Allegri has opted to continue the 3-5-2 and is only now seriously investigating a change. In the 3-5-2 there really is only freedom for Tevez's position and we can see a clear difference there but I would never expect Allegri to tell Lichtsteiner or Asamoah that they can marauder up front as they please.

I do have a feeling that a 4 man back line will underline the difference between Conte's Juve and what our players can really give, more specifically in CL matches. Serie A is not a great measuring stick.

There are tiny examples of Allegri giving more freedom so far this season when you watch Giovinco or especially Morata. Under Conte I think Morata would have been a strict deputy of Llorente as a target man but right now we can see there is a clear difference between the two. Morata turns and heads for goal every opportunity he gets. There are times last year that Conte had to use Giovinco to replace Llorente and Giovinco was trying to replicate Llorente's function of holding the line back and staying central, which is obviously stupid.

There are other tiny examples that I can't help but notice. If you watch the Azzurri you can see the same movements from the 2 strikers that we saw for 3 years. If you watch the build up around the opponent's box you can see the CMs always set up on the corners of the box.

This year we, Juve, have seen much less of Bonucci with the ball. That's logical though and would happen organically within any team if they are left to make their own decisions. The only reason Bonucci would have so much of the ball in the past is if the coach explicitly wanted to hold possession with his back 3 and instructed the sweeper to monopolize the ball.

My overall point is that I don't think Conte's teams can ever win matches they are not supposed to win. If you take Conte's Juve and face Bayern 10 times, you will probably lose every match 2-0 or maybe tie a couple. If you take a less rigid coach you might just win 1 or 2 out of those 10 matches while the other losses might be more like 3-0 or 4-0 or even 7-1 like Garcia lol. But at least you have a chance.

That's just my view of Conte. Of course I still think he is a fine coach and he could prove me wrong with the Azzurri but right now it seems he is the same. He will win the matches he is supposed to. He will win them all 1-0, even against Albania. Even nowadays with a lesser talented Italy, does anyone really believe they are so untalented as to not be able to score more than a goal or two against some of these teams? Of course they can.

Conte is not a risk taker, that has been made abundantly clear and during his time with us the team was built to be hard to beat rather than a thrashing team but to say that he only gets expected results and never pushes the team to outdo themselves is definitely false.

His first season with us was definitely beyond anyone's expectations of the squad both on paper and judging by previous form. That was a complete transformation at the club and was as big an achievement as Mancini or Inzaghi leading Inter/Milan to the title today. Players like Simone Pepe, Vucinic, Quag, Matri, Giacherini were putting in performances beyond their scope. Even beyond that season, our regular thrashings of Napoli, Roma and the likes were never an expected result either. The team did put in some very good performances dont make it seem like the whole two last seasons was slow and sluggish football where we just barely grind-out results. Sure we very rarely play spectacular football and our goal scoring records is less than that of the top european squads but dont forget that our team was all about midfield and defense.

Tevez was struggling in Europe long before he came to Juve and he isnt having a stellar European season. He is enjoying more freedom thats clear but that is on the expense of Llorente. He is also enjoying more stability in the team since its his second year with the team.

The performances against Chelsea had the team outdo themselves. The performances against Madrid had the team outdo themselves. Even Against Celtic that wasnt an expected result. Against all these teams Juve was performing at a top level in Europe and it was effective against the blues and we lost out to the tiny details against Real Madrid. He underperformed in Europe last season no one debates that but he did get the team to over-perform on many occasions throughout his tenure.

You are all looking for something to undermine about the guy just for the sake of it. First it was he restricts the players I showed that he made them all improve and progress especially the creative one that a certain allegri thought was finished. Now the claim is that the general team doesnt over-perform as if it was expected that the team would go a whole season unbeaten or as if it was expected that we'd thrash Chelsea & Celtic or prove equals to Madrid.

Has Juve overperformed under Conte? Yes especially during the 1st and 3rd league title, the Chelsea, Celtic and Madrid Games.
Has Juve underperformed under Conte? Yes during the Galata match in Turin and against that silly small team that I cant remember their name for some reason and in the coppa italia final. Has Juve delivered just the expected results? Yes in countless games throughout the 3 years. Be fair to the guy's work.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
No I'm not. Remember Barzagli's game against Inter when Delneri was coach?
Not really but I remember how shaky our defense was under Del Neri and how unpopular of a signing he was at the start. No one thought he was anygood before Conte fixed our defense.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012

With most of this I agree it's just that we had quite a lot of moments when we did better than expected. I see Hist already mentioned some of them :D

This one is very true.

And I'm thankful for that but Gawd, we were playing awful football under Conte, especially towards the end of his final season with us.
Yeah, he wrote history but his brand of football isn't the prettiest out there. We were fantastic during the 11/12 season though, top notch passing, movement and high tempo pressing. Once the season was over it disappeared with the 352 and CL duties.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

My favorite poster. Goddamn. :tup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 25)