Antonio Conte (161 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

samfisher5

Jan 30, 2013
how long did it take SAF at United to win his first title and then win in Europe?
Football back then was fiercely competitive as a whole so you can't really compare it with today's version. Also Ferguson took a United team which was far from what it is today in terms of the magnitude of the club. You can say they were not a giant back then and Ferguson transformed them into one. So that in itself is very impressive, but it is totally different to Conte's situation at Juve. He inherited a Juve side after two average seasons, but in an average league and then won that league undefeated. But it was still Juve, whereas Man U in the 80's were not the Man U you know. Let's not forget that Ferguson had achieved European success with a small side like Aberdeen before he took the United job.

Still, Ferguson has always been a bit overrated imo.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
The 'penalty' looked like nothing, but I've seen them given when the hand is outstretched like that. Anyway, little moments can clearly change a result, but you can't depend on them.
That's the thing for some time now and in his post match conference it only got a stamp of approval. It seems he was playing for those little things. This approach needs to change if we want to be succesful in Europe.

samfisher5

Jan 30, 2013
Milan 2012? yeah, we had no competition at all. this years Roma will break the record for most points by a second placed in history of Serie A and they would have been champions in most seasons. very uncompetitive leaague, i agree...
Yup, when an above average side like Roma are winning games with ease then the league must be very uncompetitive. How many games have they won in a row in the last two months? Like 10. And they started the season with 10+ successive wins as well.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
I thought I was an over-reactor but reading some of the posts since this game, daym!

People need to calm it down. Not the end of the world we'll come back stronger. Have some faith.

j0ker

Capo di tutti capi
Jan 5, 2006
Football back then was fiercely competitive as a whole so you can't really compare it with today's version. Also Ferguson took a United team which was far from what it is today in terms of the magnitude of the club. You can say they were not a giant back then and Ferguson transformed them into one. So that in itself is very impressive, but it is totally different to Conte's situation at Juve. He inherited a Juve side after two average seasons, but in an average league and then won that league undefeated. But it was still Juve, whereas Man U in the 80's were not the Man U you know. Let's not forget that Ferguson had achieved European success with a small side like Aberdeen before he took the United job.

Please.

We were fucking pathetic, hopeless.

Not even the greatest optimist would have expected us to win the scudetto after those 2 consecutive 7 places.

But, that's not an excuse for failing to win against Galatasaray and Benfica not to mention those Danish teams.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
His Man Utd European record certainly is;
19 Champions League tournaments
12 quarter-finals
6 semi-finals
3 finals
2 wins

From the 'best manager of all time'. Conte gets two seasons in Europe at the beginning of his career and he's not good enough...

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
12 quarter-finals
6 semi-finals
3 finals
2 wins

From the 'best manager of all time'. Conte gets two seasons in Europe at the beginning of his career and he's not good enough...
How did you get those figures, it doesn't add up to 19 ? Plus SAF had 4 finals with 2 wins actually.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That's the thing for some time now and in his post match conference it only got a stamp of approval. It seems he was playing for those little things. This approach needs to change if we want to be succesful in Europe.
He's a bit of a perfectionist like that, it probably annoys him not being able to control those variables, but we all know how football works.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
12 quarter-finals
6 semi-finals
3 finals
2 wins

had SAF united ever played consistently bad when they were the top team in PL (champion or not) as we currently do?

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Juventino[RUS];4531802 said:
Gave them deserved red card, added 8 minutes to play, but yep, he was disaster, badass logic :rofl:
there was 6 minutes of added time. if i recall correctly, the addition time started after 92 minutes because the benfica player was on the ground from 88th till 92th minute. also, there was 6 subs, which automatically means 3 minutes, so you are saying me that the Benfica players stole only 3 minutes the whole second half??? not that this is an excuse for our loss, but Clattenburg was a joke, he tolerated everything those shits did. really bad refering last night

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
had SAF united ever played consistently bad when they were the top team in PL (champion or not) as we currently do?
Ferguson always pointed out how he targeted scoring goals to make sure United's goal difference was better than the others, to gain an extra 'point'. Something which would be useless in Serie A.

'Consistently bad' is subjective, basically rubbish in my opinion, but more importantly you don't get any more points for playing nice football so it's of no interest to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 161)