Antonio Conte (39 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
He may leave.

I think Conte is fed up with Marotta's management of the last mercato. He couldn't bring in the proper strike. We end up with Bendtner once and Anelka next time. Conte didn't play these guys. He must have been infuriated. The fact he didn't play Elia during the former season also may mean that this guy was brought without his consent.

I guess Conte wants more power to decide over transfers. This can be the real problem.

Anyway I don't think he already made his call. I guess he's 50-50 now. But if Marotta fails again, then I'd say Conte will leave. I feel his not jus bluffing to pressure Marotta. He's talking seriously. He's also clearly unsatisfied with the "Italian way" of handling things.

I truly believe it's in Marotta's hands now. If he don't do his damn job in the next 2 or 3 weeks than I think there's a great chance Conte will leave.
Leave and go where?? It's too early for him to leave this project thats off to a flyer. It doesn't make sense to leave a place with such a strong sense of belonging. He will not find such ideal working conditions with the fans, culturally and a rapport with the president elsewhere. Moreso if he moves abroad.

That doesn't discount the fact that he should sit around coz he's comfortable with those things. He has probably received interesting offers from abroad, but most importantly, what he's also noticed is how certain big clubs function and his demands, currently at least have been made along those lines.

It's too early in his career to risk his resume at this point. What he's done here has put him on the cusp of becoming a 'great' coach. He can achieve that here, in the comfort of his home club and maybe then move on to other challenges with a more stellar reputation, than adapt to a new style, system, culture to earn his stripes all over again.

Conte is getting ridiculous. Ibra, Suarez and Higuain is not enough still?

Not sure how Marotta can satisfy Conte's hunger in this case..
This is out of context. What he implied is that they're all great players and he'd love to have all of them, but that's not how a team wins the CL. He is in effect, doing two things with such a statement. Making it clear that there is a lot that we need to have in place, in the way we structure out youth system and the kind of quality we sign. Secondly, just as importantly, taking the pressure off himself and the team given that he's been a bit of a miracle worker the last two years. The team has grown faster than they were expected to.

So all he's saying now is that we've achieved great stuff together and he wants quality to move forward, but there are a lot of variables that are required to bridge the gap with the teams ahead of us. Not just an Ibra or a Higuain or a Suarez. It takes more than that to be a sustainable, successful football club model.

And he is right.

Conte talks a lot, he gets excited and carried away, he's always been like that.

But then, so does Beppe too. Conte maybe talking an awful lot, but I can't fault him for his timing, nor his demands. He's well within his rights to ask for quality. As for the wages, I'm pretty sure, he'd earn more than 5m at any team thatll get in touch or has gotten in touch with him. And he's negotiating based on that fact. He's successful and ambitious and takes great pride in his work. It's a justified reward for his effort.

Buy on AliExpress.com

rounder

Blindman
Jun 13, 2007
Conte won't leave this summer, but it's highly likely, that given a disappointing summer campaign and a lack of response to Conte's ideas, he will move next year. Right now, he's won back to back scudettos while only 2 years ago he was coaching Siena in Serie B. He's made a huge step in his career and hasn't spent enough time at Juve to want to try a different experience.

Another thing is that his work over the past two years is finally starting to take form. He's in a dream position to build a dynasty that will put him down as one of the best in history. There are several reasons for this.

1. Juve have an ambitious project that includes having their own stadium and they're a step ahead of the rest in Italy. We are pioneers in that respect.
2. Juve is undisputably the best in Italy, and our competition, frankly, is weak.
3. Following from 2, it is vastly probably that we will be dominant domestically for years to come.
4. Following from 3, we will continue to increase our ability to attract the best of the game and improve our image around the world as well.
5. Conte is a Juventino. He loves the club and it's clear that his ambitions are tied to the fate of Juventus

There is really no good reason to think he will leave. It's merely speculation. The only way I see him leaving is if he and Agnelli have a falling out. Barring that unlikely scenario, Conte will be here for quite a while.

This brings me to my next point. Conte knows he probably will be here for a while, and therefore, it is very rational for him to want to pressure Marotta to stop penny pinching. Why? Because in case of Juve disappointing in Europe in the next few years, a lot of the blame will be cast on Conte. All he's doing is thinking ahead, he wants to make sure that he has the best chance of building a top class team that will compete in Europe from now, to avoid being considered a failure and wasting years of his life for a doomed project.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Agree with almost everything there, rounder, but if we fail in Italy and or Europe the blame will inevitably fall on Marotta and the BoD. Conte will be insulated from criticism from the fans for a while yet, and fair enough. He has done an absolutely amazing job.

Cuti

The Real MC
Jul 30, 2006
Scudetto e l’sms di Buffon
Mercoledì 2 maggio 2012, Juventus Stadium, 85˚ minuto di Juve-Lecce. Barzagli appoggia la palla all’indietro a Buffon, che sbaglia lo stop e di fatto la regala a Bertolacci: gol. 1-1 a 5’ dalla fine. Mi metto istintivamente le mani nei capelli: non tanto per il gol, quanto per Gigi, che infatti è come scioccato... La squadra vive attimi di smarrimento. A due giornate dalla fine, i giochi sono riaperti. Solo un punto di vantaggio sul Milan... Dopo la partita, cerco di rincuorare i giocatori, di non infierire, ma vado a casa molto amareggiato. Amezzanotte sento il segnale di un sms in arrivo. E’ di Gigi. «Scusa Antonio, ho sbagliato. Avrei preferito rompermi i legamenti piuttosto che fare un errore così grossolano». Gli rispondo subito: «Non ti devi scusare per niente e con nessuno. Perché la tua storia è lì, davanti a tutti. Hai dato tantissimo alla Juventus e alla Nazionale. Non devi scusarti con me, né con i compagni, né con i dirigenti, né con i tifosi: stai dando il massimo e darai ancora di più». E’ un episodio che contiene tutto: il mio rapporto con la squadra, la stima reciproca coi fuoriclasse, lo spirito che aleggia tra di noi. Lo Scudetto nasce da queste cose, in questi frammenti di storia, costruito giorno dopo giorno.

From Conte's book:

After the mistake against Lecce, at around midnight, Buffon messaged Conte and told him 'Sorry Antonio, I made a mistake. I would have preferred to have torn my ligaments than to make such a costly mistake.' Conte replied immediately 'You do not need to apologize for anything or to anyone. Because your story/history is there, for everyone to see. You have given so much to Juventus and to the National Team. You do not need to excuse yourself with me, nor with your teammates, nor with the directors, nor with the fans: you are giving your all and you have much more to give'

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Ok, so it's not his biography?
First, a biography is not written by the person it's about. An Autobiography is written by the person.:D

Second, most people don't write their own autobiographies. The person hires a ghost writer. Then he or she tells the writer their story and he writes it.

- - - Updated - - -

eh, I choose the wrong wording, i meant that it seems everyone is publishing a book about themselfs these days, be it they write it themselfs or with help it is just annoying me as hell :D
If you hire a decent enough ghost writer, then it's pretty easy. Might as well write your own history, rather than leave it to some nerd who finds you interesting after you're dead.

Nedved03

Love juve because of sega
Nov 27, 2011
First, a biography is not written by the person it's about. An Autobiography is written by the person.:D

Second, most people don't write their own autobiographies. The person hires a ghost writer. Then he or she tells the writer their story and he writes it.

- - - Updated - - -

If you hire a decent enough ghost writer, then it's pretty easy. Might as well write your own history, rather than leave it to some nerd who finds you interesting after you're dead.
As a historian, i'm offended with this. :stuckup::p

Bianconero90

Aug 31, 2012

Thanks I know that too :D Conte wouldn't have the time to write a book :lol:

But my question is: What is the book about? Is it a kind of biography of Conte? Or just another book about Conte? I think about buying it..

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Thanks I know that too :D Conte wouldn't have the time to write a book :lol:

But my question is: What is the book about? Is it a kind of biography of Conte? Or just another book about Conte? I think about buying it..
I think it is his words.

Yeah, I remember when Zlatan's book came out and people were like "i never knew Zlatan could write". It was like yeah right, number one Zlatan is a moron, number two he's a footballer. Was he staying up all night writing all these years?:lol:

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Agree with almost everything there, rounder, but if we fail in Italy and or Europe the blame will inevitably fall on Marotta and the BoD. Conte will be insulated from criticism from the fans for a while yet, and fair enough. He has done an absolutely amazing job.
some of the fans here though have a tendency to praise Marotta for Conte's victories and flame Conte for our inability to reach the next level of higher level performance, with the limitations set by Marotta's inabilities...

Conte would try to avoid that and might demand an upgrade to the transfer director, i hope the board will choose Conte to MArotta, if they had to choose and wont prefer Secco to DD again...

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
But then, so does Beppe too. Conte maybe talking an awful lot, but I can't fault him for his timing, nor his demands. He's well within his rights to ask for quality. As for the wages, I'm pretty sure, he'd earn more than 5m at any team thatll get in touch or has gotten in touch with him. And he's negotiating based on that fact. He's successful and ambitious and takes great pride in his work. It's a justified reward for his effort.
Different kinds of characters.

Also, it doesn't matter what he can get elsewhere, we can only pay what is within our club model. It's no different to signing players. If I think he is worth that is another question and relative, Conte has helped us a lot, but our position and backing also helps him. He wouldn't have won the scudetto without the resources we have, and so wouldn't have improved his standing.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Different kinds of characters.

Also, it doesn't matter what he can get elsewhere, we can only pay what is within our club model. It's no different to signing players. If I think he is worth that is another question and relative, Conte has helped us a lot, but our position and backing also helps him. He wouldn't have won the scudetto without the resources we have, and so wouldn't have improved his standing.
Different for sure.

This bit about paying within our club model is what I don't agree with. The club as part of its plan after hiring Conte, had planned to challenge for a title starting this coming season. That was the original plan as per the club model. In this time, we have won two scudetti. Clearly we are ahead of the curve, and therefore the club must, in the interest of the bigger picture, adapt to the situation. This is what Conte has asked for, and it is a very reasonable request - its not his own agenda, but one thats flagging on progress.

The Juve-Conte relationship is mutually beneficial, I agree. Every big club's resources help a coach raise his profile and win. But to say that Juve's resources are why Conte won the scudetto last year is a but unfair because what he did last year was nothing short of a miracle. The personnel were nowhere close to being title winning material at the start of the season. He has arguably done more to improve his standing himself than the club helped him do starting last year especially given the fact that he has helped us raise our profile again. Lets not forget we were a sinking ship, a once European heavyweight, facing perhaps a few years in midtable on the back of two seventh place seasons when he took on the project.

In fact, what happens from hereon, is where we'll see the club flex it's muscles and it is now that i believe Conte will reap the benefits of the club's resources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 30)