Antonio Conte (377 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
I recall a dangerous attempt or two from the edge of the box.

Juventus sat too deep and allowed Celtic too much time on the ball in our third during the opening half hour.
Yes, after we were already up by 1:0

Contes game plan worked to perfection. Nick an early goal, sit back and soak up huge amounts of pressure, wait for them to tire in the 2nd half and pounce. It was a truly classy, vintage Juve euro (away) performance.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
Yes, after we were already up by 1:0

Contes game plan worked to perfection. Nick an early goal, sit back and soak up huge amounts of pressure, wait for them to tire in the 2nd half and pounce. It was a truly classy, vintage Juve euro (away) performance.
I doubt the first goal was planned. The second half about waiting till they tire seems more realistic.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Way too much credit being given to Conte IMO. I did think that it would be better for us to try and counter instead of hold possession against a parked bus so I agreed with Conte there but we gave up more good shots in this game then probably the last few games combined.

Celtic must have got over a dozen crosses into our box and that's not counting the corners. We were not prepared at all for their wide play. I think we sat too deep and I think we generally had no clue with the ball today. I can tell you that if you asked Conte what he thought about our "great defensive play" he would not be pleased. I mean, that shit house of a CB they got missed a point blank header. That is not great defense. That scrub Commons had 6 attempts at net and 4 on net. That is way, way too much. There is no way Conte would be pleased with that.

TBH, Buffon should be commended because he held every single shot attempt except for the first of the game from Wanyama. If he had spilled even one, it could have been put in our net, who knows.

His best move was starting Matri but that was a no-brainer. He made the difference today. The early goal changed the whole game.

Let's be real, if we had our usual amount of finishing this game would have been scoreless and this thread would be filled with Conte hate. I agree with his general tactics today but the execution was not there at all. The only execution today came in front of their net so I'm thankful for that. I suppose we were due in that regard.

I just don't like the idea of Conte or our team in general receiving praise for "soaking up" pressure when really we did nothing spectacular defensively except for the efforts of Barza and Caceres in the air. We gave up a lot of quality possession and shots.

It has to be a bit disconcerting to see how little of the ball we had in the 1st half.

Dec 24, 2012
Way too much credit being given to Conte IMO. I did think that it would be better for us to try and counter instead of hold possession against a parked bus so I agreed with Conte there but we gave up more good shots in this game then probably the last few games combined.

Celtic must have got over a dozen crosses into our box and that's not counting the corners. We were not prepared at all for their wide play. I think we sat too deep and I think we generally had no clue with the ball today. I can tell you that if you asked Conte what he thought about our "great defensive play" he would not be pleased. I mean, that shit house of a CB they got missed a point blank header. That is not great defense. That scrub Commons had 6 attempts at net and 4 on net. That is way, way too much. There is no way Conte would be pleased with that.

TBH, Buffon should be commended because he held every single shot attempt except for the first of the game from Wanyama. If he had spilled even one, it could have been put in our net, who knows.

His best move was starting Matri but that was a no-brainer. He made the difference today. The early goal changed the whole game.

Let's be real, if we had our usual amount of finishing this game would have been scoreless and this thread would be filled with Conte hate. I agree with his general tactics today but the execution was not there at all. The only execution today came in front of their net so I'm thankful for that. I suppose we were due in that regard.

I just don't like the idea of Conte or our team in general receiving praise for "soaking up" pressure when really we did nothing spectacular defensively except for the efforts of Barza and Caceres in the air. We gave up a lot of quality possession and shots.

It has to be a bit disconcerting to see how little of the ball we had in the 1st half.
The "point blank" header was almost from behind the penalty spot. And that was the clearest chance they had to score. All our players came out in the post-match and said they had studied Celtic, right down to set pieces and how they don't get easily tired. Perhaps the early goal was a bit of a windfall, but in all probability it had come up as a scenario.

As it is, I think you are wrong. The game plan isn't set in stone - it changes to accomodate the circumstances and eventualities of the match. Given the early goal, the execution was almost perfect. Had we not gotten it, you would have seen a different game by us. To criticize the team based on the way they played because you think they would have played the same way in a different circumstance is plain wrong, in my opinion.

The thing I can agree on is giving up possession a little too easily for my taste. Even the note-perfect Barzagli fell victim to that infraction a few too many times for his standard. We should take any criticism like that to heart - we owe it to ourselves to be perfect even in games that are "easier".

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
Dont think Conte did something out of this world, we simply did what needed to be done with Celtic playing their rabid dog, mindless kind of football.

Defend well, bide your time and take your chances.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
We were playing Celtic ffs, not Barcelona.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 371)