Antonio Conte (371 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I wonder how they were thinking when they decided on Conte. Didn't they realize that we can't afford to be this bad again? I wonder how that discussion went. How did they justify signing a Serie B coach? They sure do have balls.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
If Conte fails, I'll really get hurt, much more than when Ferrara failed. I started supporting this team when he was the captain, please Antonio, don't screw it up.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I feel like a rat in a maze...I can't find the cheese and there is no way out.

Just put me under already.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
I hope this guy knows what his up against and doesn't make us hate him

The only reason he would have been hired is that he's cheap

Makes you wonder then what kind of purchases we'll make - more cheap Lanzafames and Mottas?

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
...What does the former Captain bring to Juventus and why is he seemingly the only serious candidate to lead the club at what is shaping up to be a huge season for the Bianconeri? His combative midfield days are not such a distant memory, but who is Antonio Conte the coach?

As most observers are well aware, the formation he has preferred to employ so far is a 4-4-2 that quickly becomes a 4-2-4. The role given to the wingers in order to make this work is very demanding as not only are they asked to cover the flanks defensively, but also to come in-field to prevent the two central players being quickly outnumbered against narrower teams.
One feature of his sides, whether in the top flight or the Cadetti, has been a patient build up once possession is regained. It is very rare to see long kick-outs from the goalkeeper and clearly this is by design, as often one or both central defenders will drop deep to collect the ball. Once brought into attack there many options available to a player in possession, although one striker is almost always looking to stretch the defence with deep runs.

The main feature of his attacking play is a quick one or two touch style which provides persistent movement of the ball between players and is characterised by a front four playing with great speed and an abundance of movement. He has switched to a 4-3-3 at times, proving he has the intelligence and ability to not keep blind faith with one system, an essential quality in any coach as Massimiliano Allegri has shown during his debut season at Milan.

Defensively he employs a high back-line, not to catch opponents offside but to keep the team compact and press the ball hard and often, denying space between defence and midfield. In addition it is important to note his preference to man-mark almost always, both during open play and at set-piece situations. Obviously in a division largely devoid of width and heavily focused on central play-makers, Conte will either have to change to that 4-3-3 mentioned earlier or find a scheme that prevents the team being overrun the way Juventus were during the first month of last season.

While it may not be a point many want to hear, the coach Conte most resembles tactically – their preferred choice of marking aside – is in fact Gigi Delneri. Their choice of system is almost identical and the out-going coach saw very early on that his 4-4-2/4-2-4 wasn’t working and switched to his own hybrid 4-3-3 in order to erradicate many of the problems.
Players like Milos Krasic, Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Simone Pepe suit Conte’s model very well, and this will have been no small factor in the thinking of Beppe Marotta and Andrea Agnelli as changing coach became inevitable. The affection of the fans for the former Captain will allow the same plans and ideas to remain while changing the face at the forefront as the building continues.

The current Siena boss tends to switch his wingers more frequently than Delneri, often leaving them inverted for extended spells, meaning at least one naturally left-sided player would be needed to complete the system. The fullback situation also needs resolving, Frederik Sørensen has impressed but is unlikely to remain in a wide role too long and, while Paolo De Ceglie ideal, that still leaves the need for at least two new players.

One touted arrival who simply does not suit the framework nor playing style of Conte’s teams is Andrea Pirlo. His slower approach would throw off many of the patterns of play while his lack of mobility would simply not lend itself to the work-rate the coach demands of his double-pivot midfield. Alberto Aquilani, Claudio Marchisio and in particular Felipe Melo are fitting choices, as the increased presence of the Juve owned Luca Marrone in the Siena midfield serves to highlight.

The wide-spread opinion of Juventus fans is that at least he will bring the winning spirit back to the club, but in order to succeed he will need much much more than that. His name will buy him some breathing space if required but, once the initial joy and nostalgia wears out will supporters soon be altering the last word of his old chant, will the new stadium reverberate to cries of “Senza di te non andremo lontano, Antonio Conte è il nostro allenatore”? We will soon find out.

---
http://backpagefootball.com/europe/...io-conte-really-deliver-as-coach-of-juventus/

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
ok out of what tww posted

"The main feature of his attacking play is a quick one or two touch style which provides persistent movement of the ball between players and is characterised by a front four playing with great speed and an abundance of movement. He has switched to a 4-3-3 at times, proving he has the intelligence and ability to not keep blind faith with one system, an essential quality in any coach as Massimiliano Allegri has shown during his debut season at Milan."

this part impressed me the most

additionally

"As most observers are well aware, the formation he has preferred to employ so far is a 4-4-2 that quickly becomes a 4-2-4. The role given to the wingers in order to make this work is very demanding as not only are they asked to cover the flanks defensively, but also to come in-field to prevent the two central players being quickly outnumbered against narrower teams."

so we become a 4-2-2-2 against say leonardo's inter who play narrow football?

im not entirely sure how accurate this author is with his statements, but im somewhat slightly relieved with the insight given. whether it works in practice remains to be seen.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
Well, my heart wants to believe that Conte will do well in Juventus...

Trying to see the brigth side of this, former Juventus player back his appointment, Moggi also said its a good choise and the italian fans seems to prefer him so... hopefully they all are correct... and hopefully he uses the 4-3-3 cause that 4-2-4 is sooooooo not going to work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 366)