Antonio Conte (91 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
it's all part of the building process. doing well in the EL is vital to gaining experience and understanding of European cup knock out competition, don't be so foolish to snub this competition regardless of revenue and prestige
I'm all for a building process but Conte has been building the team wrong. He has far to many defenders and strikers in the team therefore he likes 3-5-2 or 5-3-2.

He could have chose to build a 4-3-3 squad last season but ignored it in favour of the 3-5-2 which we already knew was not going to take us further in Europe by not creating a single goal scoring opportunity against Bayern in 180 minutes of play.

He has taken us backwards since his first year. I look at Atletico Madrid play and thats the team Juve should have been by now. Tough to beat, players that run their socks off for each other and a deadly attack. We have none of that right now.

We have a team constantly under performing and creating very little in matches and that is why we are in the EL and not the CL. The EL is a mickey mouse competition sure it's nice to win it but we are in it because we failed in the CL not because we want to be in it.

He had a very nice thing going with the 4-3-3 we just needed a couple of players to improve the team and build on it for the future.

Now Conte has to ditch the 3-5-2 and almost start all over again with building a 4-3-3 team. His stubbornness has got him into this situation. Reus was available last season for 17 million instead we buy Tevez to play a 3-5-2 that will not take this team forward. Sure Tevez was a good signing but he is not flexible enough to play in a 4-3-3 and is 30 years old with maybe 1-2 years left at the top.

This team has went backwards in the last 2 seasons, this season especially has been a failure. Winning the EL was not one of our objectives at the start of the season so i see no reason for it to be an achievement.

Conte is clueless at times and looks like he has run out of ideas when we are against a good team with a good game plan that can hurt us. The only glimmer of hope from Conte was the 2 Madrid games when he finally changed the formation and looked like he could adapt in Europe.

I would love for Conte to prove me wrong and do really well in Europe but unless he starts changing his ways nothing will change for us in Europe. It's looking like he has taken us as far as he can take us if there is no improvement next season.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
I'm all for a building process but Conte has been building the team wrong. He has far to many defenders and strikers in the team therefore he likes 3-5-2 or 5-3-2.

He could have chose to build a 4-3-3 squad last season but ignored it in favour of the 3-5-2 which we already knew was not going to take us further in Europe by not creating a single goal scoring opportunity against Bayern in 180 minutes of play.

He has taken us backwards since his first year. I look at Atletico Madrid play and thats the team Juve should have been by now. Tough to beat, players that run their socks off for each other and a deadly attack. We have none of that right now.

We have a team constantly under performing and creating very little in matches and that is why we are in the EL and not the CL. The EL is a mickey mouse competition sure it's nice to win it but we are in it because we failed in the CL not because we want to be in it.

He had a very nice thing going with the 4-3-3 we just needed a couple of players to improve the team and build onit for the future.

Now Conte has to ditch the 3-5-2 and almost start all over again with building a 4-3-3 team. His stubbornness has got him into this situation. Reus was available last season for 17 million instead we buy Tevez to play a 3-5-2 that will not take this team forward. Sure Tevez was a good signing but he is not flexible enough to play in a 4-3-3 and is 30 years olf with maybe 1-2 years left at the top.

This team has went backwards in the last 2 seasons, this season especially has been a failure. Winning the EL was not one of our objectives at the start of the season so i see no reason for it to be an achievement.

Conte is clueless at times and looks like he has run out of ideas when we are against a good team with a good game plan that can hurt us. The only glimmer of hope from Conte was the 2 Madrid games when he finally changed the formation and looked like he could adapt in Europe.

I would love for Conte to prove me wrong and do really well in Europe but unless he starts changing his ways nothing will change for us in Europe. It's looking like he has taken us as far as he can take us if there is no improvement next season.
just leave

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
So much fucking garbage in this thread from the usual suspects.

Conte clearly has some issues to iron out in his approach to European games, and we do lack a solid plan B and creative players, but fuck me, some of the whining in here...

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
So much $#@!ing garbage in this thread from the usual suspects.

Conte clearly has some issues to iron out in his approach to European games, and we do lack a solid plan B and creative players, but $#@! me, some of the whining in here...
This. It's so bloody amusing to hear all the malarkey about us regressing since his first year. People forget DrawVentus. We drew half the basement-dwellers in the league in Conte's first season. Sure, we played attractive football at times, we also had luck that 84 points was enough to win the league. We have 84 points already this year. 18 points to play for. We're in SF of Europa.

And people need to stop bringing up Simeone like his time at Atletico has been all roses. They got knocked out of the round of 32 Europa last year against Rubin Kazan, and finished 3rd by quite a margin in Spain. Talk about a terrible season. And that with having one of the best strikers in Europe in the side. This year, Atletico is doing amazing. Good for them and Simeone, but that doesn't at all mean Simeone is what Conte should be. Our season was immensely more successful than Atletico's last year. This year is still up in the air. If they lose La Liga, and get knocked out in SFs, and we win Scudetto, and win EL, I take our season 99 times out of 100.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
This. It's so bloody amusing to hear all the malarkey about us regressing since his first year. People forget DrawVentus. We drew half the basement-dwellers in the league in Conte's first season. Sure, we played attractive football at times, we also had luck that 84 points was enough to win the league. We have 84 points already this year. 18 points to play for. We're in SF of Europa.

And people need to stop bringing up Simeone like his time at Atletico has been all roses. They got knocked out of the round of 32 Europa last year against Rubin Kazan, and finished 3rd by quite a margin in Spain. Talk about a terrible season. And that with having one of the best strikers in Europe in the side. This year, Atletico is doing amazing. Good for them and Simeone, but that doesn't at all mean Simeone is what Conte should be. Our season was immensely more successful than Atletico's last year. This year is still up in the air. If they lose La Liga, and get knocked out in SFs, and we win Scudetto, and win EL, I take our season 99 times out of 100.
:agree:

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
He's certainly not taking us backwards

I see people have forgotten Drawventus where at one point we had equal draws to wins.

You guys seem to forget the fact he has had 2 years to build the team he likes and has got Pogba on a free. If he stuck with that team's formation and tactics and just added quality players to that side we would have a much stronger set up in Europe at least. Sure this team is probably better than that 11/12 season team but if he had of built on it i know which team would be stronger right now.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
I think Conte is making the team play like this because he wants Italy to win the WC. He's obviously in the cahoots with Prandelli and they've come to an agreement where the Italian nationals on Juve take it easy while players like Vidal and Lichsteiner can get injured all they want.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
I think Conte is making the team play like this because he wants Italy to win the WC. He's obviously in the cahoots with Prandelli and they've come to an agreement where the Italian nationals on Juve take it easy while players like Vidal and Lichsteiner can get injured all they want.
okay, assuming this is true, which is a big IF by the way. you have to consider other factors. I think Conte is making the team play like this because he wants Italy to win the WC. He's obviously in the cahoots with Prandelli and they've come to an agreement where the Italian nationals on Juve take it easy while players like Vidal and Lichsteiner can get injured all they want.

ZoSo

TSUUUUUUU
Jul 11, 2011
okay, assuming this is true, which is a big IF by the way. you have to consider other factors. I think Conte is making the team play like this because he wants Italy to win the WC. He's obviously in the cahoots with Prandelli and they've come to an agreement where the Italian nationals on Juve take it easy while players like Vidal and Lichsteiner can get injured all they want.
Just hold it right there. I think Conte is making the team play like this because he wants Italy to win the WC. He's obviously in the cahoots with Prandelli and they've come to an agreement where the Italian nationals on Juve take it easy while players like Vidal and Lichsteiner can get injured all they want.

- - - Updated - - -

joke? the whole fucking forum has been laughing at you since you ever arrived
LOL

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
You guys seem to forget the fact he has had 2 years to build the team he likes and has got Pogba on a free. If he stuck with that team's formation and tactics and just added quality players to that side we would have a much stronger set up in Europe at least. Sure this team is probably better than that 11/12 season team but if he had of built on it i know which team would be stronger right now.
Probably better? A million times better. That 11/12 team wouldn't have won the scudetto this year. Not a chance. We might not have qualified for UCL this year with that squad. Aside from a decent (but declining) Milan, Serie A has improved by leaps and bounds since 11/12. It's still not where it should be, and neither are we, but it's much better than the 2-3 years prior.

And sure he's had two years, with limited transfer budgets. Name the 20mil+ players we have bought under Conte? Can you name 1? He got the absolute max out of our squad the last 2 years, and this year we had a slip-up in the UCL group. We're not a top 8 side if one looks at transfer budgets. We're close, but until we can splash at least 1 30mil + signing every year (or even every other year), we're going to have to rely on grinding out European results as we won't be as talented as our opponents.

You can say we would have been stronger if we had built on that team's formation and tactics, but that is all hypothetical. We lucked into a scudetto that year, alongside brilliant maximizing of potential, and intense hard work. We're 10 times the side now, but until we can bring in another star or two, don't expect us to be without hiccups on the road to European glory. Case in point is the yo-yoing fortunes of a team like Atletico. One year EL winners, next year EL round of 32 to Rubin, next year CL semis. I have a feeling we'll at least make UCL quarters next year, if not semis. If we get bounced in group again, I'll be disappointed, but I don't see it happening.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
You could argue we've stagnated somewhat recently. But we're certainly not regressing.
Our style has regressed noticeably.

In Conte's first year we had a great style, we would pressure the hell out of teams and open them up completely with some slick and intelligent passing. It was great to watch and brought good results, but not always.Though the results weren't always great you could tell Conte was onto something good and we all thought and hoped that he'd build further on this style with time and some new signings. As it was his first year he was always willing to try new formations and tactical approaches. It was a hugely refreshing coaching display that we all appreciated as we hadn't seen such an approach for over a decade.

Fast forward to this year, and our style, although it has been effective in the league to a large extent solely based on results, has really regressed. We rarely pressure opponents, our tactics are easier to read than an ABC book, our passing and general play is just not effective. We're uninspiring and static. We've been mostly found out in Europe, but even in the league, practically any team that tries to play up tempo and pressure us, is able to trouble us a lot in general play.

Conte has become conservative in many ways and I believe this is letting him down at times as he's otherwise one of the best coaches going around in this era. Next season he must show he has learnt a thing or two about playing in Europe and being tactically dynamic when required as he's had enough time to settle his thoughts now.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
I'd take that drawventus over this uglyventus any time; you forget that drawventus were able to cause all troubles against opponents and were far too often unlucky not to win because of the finishing... this uglyventus on the other hand were far too often too lucky to win or not to loose especially in italy and struggling to cause any trouble to any kind of opponents.

in footballing aspect this uglyventus is surely a regression to that drawventus, especially when that drawventus had supposedly worse squad than current uglyventus.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Probably better? A million times better. That 11/12 team wouldn't have won the scudetto this year. Not a chance. We might not have qualified for UCL this year with that squad. Aside from a decent (but declining) Milan, Serie A has improved by leaps and bounds since 11/12. It's still not where it should be, and neither are we, but it's much better than the 2-3 years prior.

And sure he's had two years, with limited transfer budgets. Name the 20mil+ players we have bought under Conte? Can you name 1? He got the absolute max out of our squad the last 2 years, and this year we had a slip-up in the UCL group. We're not a top 8 side if one looks at transfer budgets. We're close, but until we can splash at least 1 30mil + signing every year (or even every other year), we're going to have to rely on grinding out European results as we won't be as talented as our opponents.

You can say we would have been stronger if we had built on that team's formation and tactics, but that is all hypothetical. We lucked into a scudetto that year, alongside brilliant maximizing of potential, and intense hard work. We're 10 times the side now, but until we can bring in another star or two, don't expect us to be without hiccups on the road to European glory. Case in point is the yo-yoing fortunes of a team like Atletico. One year EL winners, next year EL round of 32 to Rubin, next year CL semis. I have a feeling we'll at least make UCL quarters next year, if not semis. If we get bounced in group again, I'll be disappointed, but I don't see it happening.
Isla 8.5 million, Ogbonna 15 million + 50% of Immobile's contract, Asamoah 18 million (used out of position to accommodate a 3-5-2) Tevez 12 million (with Scudetto victory this season) Giovinco 11 million. (used out of position to accommodate a (3-5-2)
Have any of those players really made it worth while playing a 3-5-2? I would not say so. Focus all that money on making a good 4-3-3 team and i think we would be in a better position. It is hypothetical but at least we would be playing a better system with more attacking play. I dont think it was worth the risk in the long run building a 3-5-3 5-3-2 team as we are not really a strong team right now.
Our style has regressed noticeably.

In Conte's first year we had a great style, we would pressure the hell out of teams and open them up completely with some slick and intelligent passing. It was great to watch and brought good results, but not always.Though the results weren't always great you could tell Conte was onto something good and we all thought and hoped that he'd build further on this style with time and some new signings. As it was his first year he was always willing to try new formations and tactical approaches. It was a hugely refreshing coaching display that we all appreciated as we hadn't seen such an approach for over a decade.

Fast forward to this year, and our style, although it has been effective in the league to a large extent solely based on results, has really regressed. We rarely pressure opponents, our tactics are easier to read than an ABC book, our passing and general play is just not effective. We're uninspiring and static. We've been mostly found out in Europe, but even in the league, practically any team that tries to play up tempo and pressure us, is able to trouble us a lot in general play.

Conte has become conservative in many ways and I believe this is letting him down at times as he's otherwise one of the best coaches going around in this era. Next season he must show he has learnt a thing or two about playing in Europe and being tactically dynamic when required as he's had enough time to settle his thoughts now.
Thank you this is my point entirely, he had something very good going with the 4-3-3 and failed to build on it and took a gamble on a 3-5-2 which clearly has it's flaws right now. We will probably be going back to a 4-3-3 formation with worse players than if we had of stuck it out and added to it year on year.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd take that drawventus over this uglyventus any time; you forget that drawventus were able to cause all troubles against opponents and were far too often unlucky not to win because of the finishing... this uglyventus on the other hand were far too often too lucky to win or not to loose especially in italy and struggling to cause any trouble to any kind of opponents.

in footballing aspect this uglyventus is surely a regression to that drawventus, especially when that drawventus had supposedly worse squad than current uglyventus.
:tup:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I think that if we dont shake things up alittle..... something ugly can show up next season.

We all see how wasted the players are...and we are believing it is the physical part.... but what we have not thought....and the thing that we are even sacred to think about----- is that theres the possibility of players simply dont giving a fuck anymore because the motivation its just not there anymore. We have won scudettos, almosty 3 of them... A lot of players must be getting accustomed to it and are not giving their max in each game. Some of them are even aging, like barza,,,and some of them even when not old...are struggling to keep the performances with so many games... like lichteiner.

Add to that that Licht and Asa do not have real back ups because their understudies are rejects of molinaro quality---- and we have a problem.

We really need to play ti smart in the upcoming mercato and once again build a superb team t compete, based on opportunity players like marotta likes to call them.

The islas and pelusos should go. We need real players coming from the becnh and rorating with our main ones to cerate competition and to up our level.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Isla 8.5 million, Ogbonna 15 million + 50% of Immobile's contract, Asamoah 18 million (used out of position to accommodate a 3-5-2) Tevez 12 million (with Scudetto victory this season) Giovinco 11 million. (used out of position to accommodate a (3-5-2)
Have any of those players really made it worth while playing a 3-5-2? I would not say so. Focus all that money on making a good 4-3-3 team and i think we would be in a better position. It is hypothetical but at least we would be playing a better system with more attacking play. I dont think it was worth the risk in the long run building a 3-5-3 5-3-2 team as we are not really a strong team right now.

Thank you this is my point entirely, he had something very good going with the 4-3-3 and failed to build on it and took a gamble on a 3-5-2 which clearly has it's flaws right now. We will probably be going back to a 4-3-3 formation with worse players than if we had of stuck it out and added to it year on year.

- - - Updated - - -

:tup:
You are giving thumbs up to that nonsense? The point of football is to win. I'd rather see us win playing ugly football, than to lose playing a Zeman style. Style points are entirely irrelevant. Sure, it'd be great to win while playing fast, effective, attacking football, yet... teams like Chelsea and Inter won the UCL by parking the bus. So that makes 2 of the last 4 winners in Europe. So I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. It's about 50/50 in recent times whether the UCL is won by "ugly" football or "beautiful" football.

But sure. Let's force a square peg into a round hole, and try to play fast attacking football with this current side which is not built for it. And Asamoah and Tevez have been brilliant for us. However, I think, with 2 or 3 transfers this summer we could create some kind of hybrid between current style, and a something more "beautiful" but that is no guarantee of success. Regardless, you listed all sub-20 million transfers. There are about 10 teams forking out 30mil + for players semi-frequently. Until we get to that level, we're not going to be one of the most consistent European sides on the planet. We'll have bad years and good years. Last year was excellent for a return to Euro football. This year, if we win Europa is also quite good, not as good as we would have wished, but it shows at least a sideways step, not a regression.

Next year, I expect UCL quarters minimum. I'm sure we'll do it too. Even if we're still playing 3-5-2.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
You are giving thumbs up to that nonsense? The point of football is to win. I'd rather see us win playing ugly football, than to lose playing a Zeman style. Style points are entirely irrelevant. Sure, it'd be great to win while playing fast, effective, attacking football, yet... teams like Chelsea and Inter won the UCL by parking the bus. So that makes 2 of the last 4 winners in Europe. So I'm really not sure what you're getting at here. It's about 50/50 in recent times whether the UCL is won by "ugly" football or "beautiful" football.

But sure. Let's force a square peg into a round hole, and try to play fast attacking football with this current side which is not built for it. And Asamoah and Tevez have been brilliant for us. However, I think, with 2 or 3 transfers this summer we could create some kind of hybrid between current style, and a something more "beautiful" but that is no guarantee of success. Regardless, you listed all sub-20 million transfers. There are about 10 teams forking out 30mil + for players semi-frequently. Until we get to that level, we're not going to be one of the most consistent European sides on the planet. We'll have bad years and good years. Last year was excellent for a return to Euro football. This year, if we win Europa is also quite good, not as good as we would have wished, but it shows at least a sideways step, not a regression.

Next year, I expect UCL quarters minimum. I'm sure we'll do it too. Even if we're still playing 3-5-2.
Winning is good i agree, Inter won with a clear game plan and a deadly counter attack under Mourinho. We are winning by riding our luck lately. Our play is horrible and any half decent team will beat us.

If we parked the bus i could not care less once we won like u say. How ever there are some very worrying signs from our play in recent months and our performances have dropped by a huge amount. It is clear there is something wrong with the tactics when we are playing like crap.

When was the last match against decent opposition whjere we clearly looked the better team? I think that was Roma earlier in the season. There is definitely something wrong with this team and i most certainly am not looking forward to Roma away this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 83)