Antonio Conte (32 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Yeah, that's bs, we basically missed good chances to beat Copenhagen, and then went to sleep at the end of the home game with Galatasaray. Even one of those two moments being opposite would have made easy progression out of the group, but we have a habit of stumbling through hoping to fix it rather than doing a job.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
You make your own luck.All the comments in the post sound like poverty excuses something which small teams would make.
These aren't excuses. I am pointing fingers at our defense and Buffon who are supposed to be the strongest and most experienced part of our squad. Individually they are very big names with lots of experience under their belts and collectively they are able to string runs of consecutive clean sheets with relative ease. Even our bench is better than most european giants. Over the last 9 Serie A games they have shown what they can do.

I cannot blame Vidal, Pirlo, Pogba, Tevez, Llorente, Asamoah and /or Quags they did their jobs in all the matches they played in apart from 1 copenhagen match. The lapses of concentration that lost us points were from Chiellini, Bonucci, Isla, Buffon and Cacares.

Conte's tactical setup was good in all the games we played except for the copenhagen match. We weren't outplayed by a single team we played and we managed to recover from the goals that our defenders gave for charity. Man Management is Conte's responsibility however and no matter how good our defenders look on paper as big names he should have ripped them a new one to fix their concentration problems at the beginning of the season. He did manage to fix the problem eventually (our current serie A clean sheets record are testament to that) but it was too little too late for the CL. The damage has already been done.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
Mourinho was exactly in the same situation with Conte in the 2009/2010 CL.
Inter was in a group with Barca, Dynamo Kyiv and Rubin Kazan, having 6 points (one win, 3 draws, one loss) after 5 matches.
The last match was away in Kyiv.Inter conceded in the first minutes, and then they went ultra attacking and eventually won 1-2.

I bet, that if we were 1-0 down against Gala from the first minutes, in a normal pitch, Conte would still play the same, waiting for the goal to come out of nothing.Maybe his classic 60+ min subs (tevez/quags) and that's it.

napoleonic

Sep 7, 2010
Conte's tactical setup was good in all the games we played except for the copenhagen match. We weren't outplayed by a single team we played and we managed to recover from the goals that our defenders gave for charity.
wut? collecting 4 points against a danish and kebab club don't mean we were outplayed? stop smoking that crack pal, even that danish club actually beat that kebab club :crazy:

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Peter Staunton Goal.com

First off, there is no argument about what Antonio Conte has achieved with Juventus. They were a side foundering before he was recruited to coach them and he has turned them into a winning machine, utterly dominant and in control of their domestic league.

But there is a clear split between Conte the coach in Serie A and Conte the coach in Europe. Before a ball had been kicked, he told the press it would be between Juve and Galatasaray for the runners-up spot in the group. He also predicted it would be a long time before any Italian team - including his own - won the Champions League. Such pronouncements at a club like Juventus are unwelcome and betray conservativeness and fear.

He made mistakes, tactically, by failing to play his natural game against Copenhagen and failing, then, to deviate from his preferred 3-5-2 when evidence was stacking up against it. Simply, I don't think Juventus can go much further in the Champions League under Conte. They have won one of their last eight matches. Progress in the competition might have to come at his expense.

Says it all about Conte really.

Jul 20, 2012
Conte loves to play it safe in alot of these big games. He doesnt like taking big risks in Europe but when it comes to Serie A he will play with 3 strikers on at the 70th minute. Conte's problem is that he is hard headed like many have stated. If Conte wants to play it his way he will do so and will not change it until he realizes that he has lost the game. Conte will stay but I don't see us improving in Europe under him.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Conte loves to play it safe in alot of these big games. He doesnt like taking big risks in Europe but when it comes to Serie A he will play with 3 strikers on at the 70th minute. Conte's problem is that he is hard headed like many have stated. If Conte wants to play it his way he will do so and will not change it until he realizes that he has lost the game. Conte will stay but I don't see us improving in Europe under him.
Our attack is just terrible in Europe, we have no creativity apart from Pirlo in the team. In Serie A we can get away with being defensive because we are so superior to the other teams (in a weak league it has to be said) but playing 5 at the back in Europe will not get u qualified. The whole team needs a change in players and tactics when it comes to Europe.

Joga Bonito

Jul 28, 2010
Peter Staunton Goal.com

First off, there is no argument about what Antonio Conte has achieved with Juventus. They were a side foundering before he was recruited to coach them and he has turned them into a winning machine, utterly dominant and in control of their domestic league.

But there is a clear split between Conte the coach in Serie A and Conte the coach in Europe. Before a ball had been kicked, he told the press it would be between Juve and Galatasaray for the runners-up spot in the group. He also predicted it would be a long time before any Italian team - including his own - won the Champions League. Such pronouncements at a club like Juventus are unwelcome and betray conservativeness and fear.

He made mistakes, tactically, by failing to play his natural game against Copenhagen and failing, then, to deviate from his preferred 3-5-2 when evidence was stacking up against it. Simply, I don't think Juventus can go much further in the Champions League under Conte. They have won one of their last eight matches. Progress in the competition might have to come at his expense.

Says it all about Conte really.
Agreed! No more 352!!
And if Conte don't want to play other formations then...

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Our attack is just terrible in Europe, we have no creativity apart from Pirlo in the team. In Serie A we can get away with being defensive because we are so superior to the other teams (in a weak league it has to be said) but playing 5 at the back in Europe will not get u qualified. The whole team needs a change in players and tactics when it comes to Europe.
We're not defensive.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He made mistakes, tactically, by failing to play his natural game against Copenhagen and failing, then, to deviate from his preferred 3-5-2 when evidence was stacking up against it.
These parts aren't really correct, but I don't suppose a goal.com writer has really bothered to analyse the games.

Against Copenhagen we played a perfectly normal game, but missed chances and their GK was MOM, then beat them at home.

Against Real Madrid we changed formation and attacked well against a team who commit players. There was nothing seriously wrong about going back to 3-5-2 for the last two games, we won one and needed a point in the other.

It's a fair point talking about our mentality, but we didn't need anything special to get through this group so never really lifted our game at any time, which bit us in the ass. Last year we had our new CL club momentum and two dangerous teams in Shakhtar and Chelsea, so had to go for it after a stuttering start.

Next year's CL campaign will be the real decider as to which direction we are going in. This guy is just calling a stick a stick.

Xperd

'Toli Throater
Jun 1, 2012
I guess RUS was probably right.I thought Conte giving those interviews as if we are an underdog ,was playing it smart before, but in reality those words are translating into performances on the pitch in Europe.Conte in Serie A,Del Neri in Europe.

It really shouldnt be that way.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
I guess RUS was probably right.I thought Conte giving those interviews as if we are an underdog ,was playing it smart before, but in reality those words are translating into performances on the pitch in Europe.Conte in Serie A,Del Neri in Europe.

It really shouldnt be that way.
Del Neri would have been slapped 8-0 twice against real madrid for beeing the slut he is

- - - Updated - - -

I agree on this. And another concern of mine is, when we're without Pirlo, our team reminds me of Mourinho's old Chelsea team - only muscles.
Thats because pirlo is our only playmaker

Jul 20, 2012
Just not in europe, in every competition. We need that plan B

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)