Antonio Conte (184 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
:confused:

- - - Updated - - -

How can a back 4 of...

Licht-barzagli-bonucci-chiellini/ogbonna

...Not work?

- - - Updated - - -

Seems strong to me :D
What will Licht and Chiellin/Ogbonna provide going forward? Other than leaving Barzaglie and Bonnucci wide open to counters.

Especially considering it would be up to your fullbacks to provide the width. Since the players you guys have earmarked for wide duty, like tevez and marchisio are not likely to provide that width. Even giovinco and Vucinic are more likely to cut in toward the goal.

Seems predictable.:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
3-5-2 would be more offensive if we actually play with 3 at the back and not 5.
See, comments like this make me doubt people actually watch our games.

We very clearly play with 3 at the back. Both our WB's are ahead of the midfield trio more than 75% of the time. Now, that both those WB's are usually defensive players is, of course, another matter.

For what it's worth, even with how little I care about the formation on paper, a 3-man backline has never been my preferred option. But that doesn't mean it's not working or I can't see why we're doing it.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
See, comments like this make me doubt people actually watch our games.

We very clearly play with 3 at the back. Both our WB's are ahead of the midfield trio more than 75% of the time. Now, that both those WB's are usually defensive players is, of course, another matter.

For what it's worth, even with how little I care about the formation on paper, a 3-man backline has never been my preferred option. But that doesn't mean it's not working or I can't see why we're doing it.
When we have possession at one of our CB trio. We defend with 5 at the back almost all the time.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
When we have possession at one of our CB trio. We defend with 5 at the back almost all the time.
And how often is one of those 5 Vidal and/or Pogba and/or Marchisio? Besides, seeing how we're not often pressed back to defend, kinda confirms what I said earlier, doesn't it?

Hell, my biggest issue with how we usually play, is that our wingbacks remain too high up the pitch most of the time.

Then again, I saw the same thing last night, on numerous occasions :D

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
3 CBs means the rest of the team can push up when transitioning to attacking (since they will cover fairly well for wingbacks and CMs by moving higher up the pitch), it basically turns into a 3-3-4 due to high positions the wingbacks take. This leads to us often being able to pinback the opposition to just outside their own box with our whole team and setting up shop, making this suitable enough set-up offensively as a tactic (heavy amount of possession with most of your team pushed up in opponents half = offensive enough as a tactic), the fact that our wingbacks are completely average when it comes to coming with offensive solutions is another matter. And yes there is plenty enough times when this formation is not needed against certain teams, but I wouldnt say the formation or tactic itself is the issue, but not having that ideal of players to completely utilize it offensively, and the team in general not putting in enough work and effort into it as they did in the near past.
This is commonly accomplished with a back 4 as well. In most teams when transitioning to attack, one FB is left little behind to provide cover; the defense takes some sort of asymmetric shape. You'll hardly see both FBs at the same time pushing up or staying back. Last night for instance it was evident that once Caceres went high up the pitch, Asamoah stayed back and formed a 3 man defense and vice versa. What we undoubtedly gained is more creativity in the final 3rd with the introduction of an extra midfielder along with more defensive solidity on the flanks. If we by any chance had players like Marcelo or Bale, then 3-5-2 would work like a charm. Since we have Asamoah and Licht of whom neither can offer something more upfront, with the exception of few games, the excuse of not using 4-3-3 because of a lack of suitable players can also be applied here. We also weren't pinned back last night as it would most definitely occur with 3-5-2 and this is my biggest issue with this formation.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
The main issue that hurts our team at the moment is the players conditioning and fitness levels imo, not whether we play the 443 or 352.

As some here already said formations are mostly just numbers, fit and well conditiond players can take any formation relative advantages and impose them on the other team as long as they are able to stay sharp and combative.
Conte's method of a killer off-season training was very fitting in he's first season here, when we only had the league to compete in, however Conte lack of exprience in playing on two fronts seems to cost us those last two seasons and in the CL even more so as the tempo is much higher even against the "lesser" teams.

Players being able to run for 90 minutes is one thing, but players making good decisions throughout those 90 minutes when they are tired is something else and thats where the difference between us and the top clubs is imo, the differance in player conditioning levels is much wider then the difference in tactics or even indevidual talent and the second half against RM was a perfect example.

Lets hope Conte learns from this for next season or even the winter break if we make it to the next stage.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
What will Licht and Chiellin/Ogbonna provide going forward? Other than leaving Barzaglie and Bonnucci wide open to counters.

Especially considering it would be up to your fullbacks to provide the width. Since the players you guys have earmarked for wide duty, like tevez and marchisio are not likely to provide that width. Even giovinco and Vucinic are more likely to cut in toward the goal.

Seems predictable.:D
But what are Asamoah and Licht providing now? If you mentioned Licht as a player who can't provide team with enough width as a FB, how on earth would he be able to do that as WB? Lichtsteiner is a rather excellent FB, but unfortunately an average WB at best. Almost the same goes for Asamoah. We have 2 players out of their natural positions.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
But what are Asamoah and Licht providing now? If you mentioned Licht as a player who can't provide team with enough width as a FB, how on earth would he be able to do that as WB? Lichtsteiner is a rather excellent FB, but unfortunately an average WB at best.
Yeah that's the way I see it too. Both Licht and Asamoah are good at defending but not that good going forward which makes perfect sense for them to play as full backs because they're focusing on defending and while attacking they have help from wingers (in 433/442/4231 and so on). Playing as wing back means you're responsible for everything. That's the reason they need to be rested more often too. Later people get mad because we always have to rest players while other teams don't really have to do it so often.

As I see it we have to switch to 433/451 or w/e you call it when we play bigger teams. I hope Conte uses 433 vs Napoli too (there are some rumors he's considering it).

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
Reportedly he's already said that he will use 352 in Italy and 433 in Europe.

It's useless discussing all this. He'll only change it in Italy if a bad string of results come.

Conte has a lot of qualities, but he is pretty stubborn sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 184)