Antonio Conte (383 Viewers)

How would you rate Conte's (dis)appointment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Haven't trawled right through this thread, so I don't know if this has been covered:

Conte is an inexperienced coach, coaching a team that is inexperienced playing at that level.

Bayern are easily the best team Conte has faced so far in his career and they also happen to be a complete nightmare for Juve in terms of the tactics the two teams normally play.

Now, I'm far from impressed with how Juve and Conte handled the game last night, but one can't go expecting an inexperienced coach like Conte to be able to read games and make adjustments before and during a game in the way one would expect a coach such as Lippi to be able to do.

It'll be interesting to see in the future if Conte has learned from the game, both in terms of the awkwardness of the 3-5-2 v 4-2-3-1 match-up and in finding a different way to play when building from the back so clearly isn't working.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
it's not all conte.

too many players didn't show up last night.

barzagli was bad. Marchisio was nowhwere to be be seen (the usual). the 2 forwards did nothing, and pirlo was horrible.

this is why it's so important to have a clutch player like ibra or sanchez. we should try everything to get such a player.

deggen10

Jul 27, 2011
For the second game, this is the ideal line-up

Buffon

Caceres - Barzagli - Bonucci - Chiellini

Pogba - Pirlo - Marchisio

Giacc/Giov

Quag - Vucinic​
Do you think Conte would try it? It's not like the Italian players aren't used to it.
A more defensive diamond would be -
Pogba-Pirlo-Asamoah
Marchisio

I don't see what else he can do really.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
We have spent enough cash to create a competitive team, but unfortunately most was wasted in many mediocre players.
Whats worse is our inability to sell players for decent sums, prime examples are Amauri, Diego, Matri and Melo, 4 players worthy of 100mil and we cant recover not even 30% of that...

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Haven't trawled right through this thread, so I don't know if this has been covered:

Conte is an inexperienced coach, coaching a team that is inexperienced playing at that level.

Bayern are easily the best team Conte has faced so far in his career and they also happen to be a complete nightmare for Juve in terms of the tactics the two teams normally play.

Now, I'm far from impressed with how Juve and Conte handled the game last night, but one can't go expecting an inexperienced coach like Conte to be able to read games and make adjustments before and during a game in the way one would expect a coach such as Lippi to be able to do.

It'll be interesting to see in the future if Conte has learned from the game, both in terms of the awkwardness of the 3-5-2 v 4-2-3-1 match-up and in finding a different way to play when building from the back so clearly isn't working.
I would say, it's more to do with the quality of Bayern players over Conte's tactics.

Pirlo is almost 34 year old, the man isn't young anymore. He can't handle the pressure from a top quality team in Europe (his last night performance reminded me of Italy's game against Spain).

Pound by pound (players wise) Bayern are soo superior over us that it would be nothing short of a miracle to beat them.

juventus4life

Apr 21, 2012
Bayern is superior than us at the moment. I do believe though there's a small chance for us to advance. Conte could have old friend talks with someone elses, let's say Lippi, how to deal with Bayern on the return leg.

juventino899

Dec 29, 2009
I would say, it's more to do with the quality of Bayern players over Conte's tactics.

Pirlo is almost 34 year old, the man isn't young anymore. He can't handle the pressure from a top quality team in Europe (his last night performance reminded me of Italy's game against Spain).

Pound by pound (players wise) Bayern are soo superior over us that it would be nothing short of a miracle to beat them.
Age has nothing to do with it at this point, there are many old players who can still cut it at the top level.

Bayerns tactics were clearly superior to ours, they took Pirlo out of the game, they pressed the defence and gave us no chance for movement. Had Conte started Vucinic with Quag, Pogba instead of Marchisio the friendly ghost and Asamoah instead of Peluso it would have been a very different game imo

PiN7uRiCCHi0

Aug 18, 2010
Changing the formation for the next game is a prerequisite for having any hope of winning. The 3-5-2 is too exposed against wingers.
Not sure I agree with this.

I believe what Conte said some time ago (when people were pressuring him to change the formation) was true, i.e. he said something along the lines of numbers don't matter only approach and mentality counts.

And I don't think he just failed to aknowledge that inevitably the 3-5-2 will face some difficulties playing teams with certain formations. I am sure he knows this well and he meant that radical changes are not necessary but minor tweaks can do the job.

I thought the loss against Bayern would've happened with any formation seeing that the players just had no clue how to play them - they never managed to mark, cover or attack properly. Any formation would've struggled when the players don't know who they have to mark and how to move the ball around to create opportunities for goal.

bullseye

Nov 8, 2012
Age has nothing to do with it at this point, there are many old players who can still cut it at the top level.

Bayerns tactics were clearly superior to ours, they took Pirlo out of the game, they pressed the defence and gave us no chance for movement. Had Conte started Vucinic with Quag, Pogba instead of Marchisio the friendly ghost and Asamoah instead of Peluso it would have been a very different game imo
my fren, imagine what happen if Conte decided to bench Marchisio and start Pogba against Bayern? How would Marchisio feels then? he's playing well in recent games and he's fit for the game. Put simply, he is the prince of Juve.

I blame the inaccurate long pass from the back and the inability of Quag/Matri to win the long ball/hold the ball and link up play. Marchisio usually already making forward run to support the strikers but because of those reasons, his forward runs become obsolete and he need to run back to defend. These forward runs of him that is not use effectively by his team mates that makes him invisible in the match.

Second, if Conte can predict that Kroos will be injured in the game and Robben who's replacing him would outclass Peluso then he's a sorcerer

He can become a billionaire predicting lottery number and playing in the stock market. No need for him to became a football manager

Certainly playing 3-5-2 against 4-2-3-1 is ineffective, then Conte need to make sacrifices and change the tactic to 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 for the 2nd leg. I think there is no need to use 3 CB against a single CF (Mandzukic/Gomez) thus 2 CB is already adequate. Benching Bonucci is preferable than benching Chiellini or Barzagli as he's a ball playing defender but his passing/long balls against bayern was dissapointing. Placing Chiellini in the LB position could be backfire as he is not quick enough against the likes of Robben/Mueller/Ribery.

Buffon ; Asa Chiello Barzagli Isla ; Marchisio Pirlo Pogba ; Gio Matri Vucinic for the 2nd leg

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009

I would say that's BS.

With Pirlo our only creative outlet on the pitch, having started Quatri upfront, it was a walk in the park for Bayern to contain us. Conte's tactics, and inability to make a quick decision to change things up when we were obviously completely out of the match, had a major role to play in that failure.

No doubt Bayern are superior as a team, but not by the margin displayed in yesterday's game, and that simply comes down to Tactics and mentality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 379)