Another Legend Emerges [15k Dedication] (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by baggio ] ++
There is a no-speak english thread around the hangout section, iirc. :D
:D

Funny thing is though, I have never taken a class in meteorology in my lifetime considering I just finished up my first year in college. All this knowledge comes from watching hours and hours of the Weather Channel. ;) :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
Good job then, Andy. And Marts, you're right about the self taught bit. Nothing like it, quite frankly, not even formal education.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
Isn't that pretty much what it comes down to? Self taught or formal? What other options are there? Mentoring?
Well in reality everything in life is self taught because in school you must do the work yourself to make things happen. Reading up yourself on an area of interest is simply your willingness to do so, while what you pull away from classes at college is not enough to pass the course in most cases, so you must take time on your own to work on it yourself. Either way, it's all up to you.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Funny thing is though, I have never taken a class in meteorology in my lifetime considering I just finished up my first year in college. All this knowledge comes from watching hours and hours of the Weather Channel. ;) :D
Words of wisdom: never trust a meteorologist on TV who they call "Dr. Whomever". They don't offer doctorate degrees in meteorology, only masters degrees. The title only means they're probably a doctor of proctology or something who wanted to get out of the business. ;)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

Words of wisdom: never trust a meteorologist on TV who they call "Dr. Whomever". They don't offer doctorate degrees in meteorology, only masters degrees. The title only means they're probably a doctor of proctology or something who wanted to get out of the business. ;)
Hmm interesting, and I was wondering about that.

However it is rather strange the head of the National Hurricane Center has the nice old "Dr." appearing in front of his name and same with Millersville University Meteorology dept. head Dr. Lou Scalli, formerly with the Weather Channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)