Android (8 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Currently keeping my phone for a few years but my next one will maybe be a pixel
A few people i know say that Google make crappy phones tho lol
there are recurring issues with google phones: the latest (p5) had weak screen glue job so basically no water resistance despite being advertised as an ip rated phone, the 4 and 4 xl had terribad battery life, 2xl had a blue tint on the screen, etc.. so they aren't necessarily wrong

4a is fine though, and the user experience is second to none. okay, to oneplus maybe :p

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
there are recurring issues with google phones: the latest (p5) had weak screen glue job so basically no water resistance despite being advertised as an ip rated phone, the 4 and 4 xl had terribad battery life, 2xl had a blue tint on the screen, etc.. so they aren't necessarily wrong

4a is fine though, and the user experience is second to none. okay, to oneplus maybe :p
Hope for u that 4a works out well bro :tup:

P5 has also stereo problems and terrible audio for calls

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
which android phone would you buy today for ~600€ or less?

i had to replace the pixel 2 finally after more than 3 years, it was my best phone by quite a margin. i kept using it until i had to charge it twice a day, it was just perfect in every sense so i never really wanted to switch. i bought a oneplus nord 2 just to have something in my pocket. i like it overall, it's fast, has a 2-day battery in my hands, relatively moderate in size, but it's slippery, the plastic frame feels cheap af, and you have to switch the nfc off and on before every payment, so it's a bit of a mixed bag. i also miss the ip68 rating for added peace of mind. so what's out there that's water resistant to a degree, doesn't feel cheap, not buggy, and won't cost you a fortune? pixel 6 would be an obvious choice, but it has a bad rep due to bugs and slow fingerprint sensor. samsung s21 fe maybe?

or should i just forget android and get an iphone with an ugly notch, zero flexibility, but rock solid user experience and long sw support?

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6,747
    which android phone would you buy today for ~600€ or less?

i had to replace the pixel 2 finally after more than 3 years, it was my best phone by quite a margin. i kept using it until i had to charge it twice a day, it was just perfect in every sense so i never really wanted to switch. i bought a oneplus nord 2 just to have something in my pocket. i like it overall, it's fast, has a 2-day battery in my hands, relatively moderate in size, but it's slippery, the plastic frame feels cheap af, and you have to switch the nfc off and on before every payment, so it's a bit of a mixed bag. i also miss the ip68 rating for added peace of mind. so what's out there that's water resistant to a degree, doesn't feel cheap, not buggy, and won't cost you a fortune? pixel 6 would be an obvious choice, but it has a bad rep due to bugs and slow fingerprint sensor. samsung s21 fe maybe?

or should i just forget android and get an iphone with an ugly notch, zero flexibility, but rock solid user experience and long sw support?
    I don't like Samsung as a brand but I have been using one the past year and a half and it is by far the best phone I have ever had. The way the OS works with the hardware, the responsiveness, the build, the quality of everything.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    I don't like Samsung as a brand but I have been using one the past year and a half and it is by far the best phone I have ever had. The way the OS works with the hardware, the responsiveness, the build, the quality of everything.
    my gf also has 2 samsungs, one private and one from the company and they are solid. which model do you have?

i'd buy the s21 or the 21 fe. s21 is smaller which is nice for me, but the battery life is meh, so it's the bigger s21 fe i'm eyeing.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6,749
    my gf also has 2 samsungs, one private and one from the company and they are solid. which model do you have?

i'd buy the s21 or the 21 fe. s21 is smaller which is nice for me, but the battery life is meh, so it's the bigger s21 fe i'm eyeing.
    I have the S10+

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    never liked their ui. flashy, oversaturated icons, plenty of bloatware, meh.

this current one called one ui looks all right though. build quality was always good. long term support (4 years of guaranteed software updates, cool) is an other appeal. water resistance for midrange (and up) models, hell yeah.

i wanted a pixel 6 but reported bugs put me off a bit. prolly gonna try an s21 fe.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #6,753

this current one called one ui looks all right though. build quality was always good. long term support (4 years of guaranteed software updates, cool) is an other appeal. water resistance for midrange (and up) models, hell yeah.

i wanted a pixel 6 but reported bugs put me off a bit. prolly gonna try an s21 fe.
    Nova Launcher forever

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

My 7T eventually stopped working. My take on this is that I'll now avoid international resellers and directly buy from a company or from telecom companies that have official deals with them.

I made the switch to S21 and the upgrade is massive and I've had no issues either. Solid. The S21 FE should be even better value for money. I heard they improved exynos a lot too. It might be a downside to get back to useless bloatwares, but you get used to it. I also hesitated with Pixel 5/6 but also was put off by the reported issues. Very happy with the phone at last, I plan to keep it for years.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
    Aug 13, 2013
    I missed Sony Xperia. Sony Phones are not available in middle east since 2019. I got Galaxy A7 but I would switch to xperia again. It's almost impossible to get one inside iran.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
    Aug 13, 2013
    Annoys me that sony is literally the only one that has micro sd card slots for their flag ship phones, shame their camera picture quality doesn't even come close to Samsung. Yes I'm still on the S10!
    for people that used sony phones for long time or photography enthusiast people, they already know what to explore with sony phones when buy it, of course i want to explore and enjoy as many control on the phones features. I think sony aim for different niche than other brands, with offers a lot in terms of manual controls.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
    Annoys me that sony is literally the only one that has micro sd card slots for their flag ship phones, shame their camera picture quality doesn't even come close to Samsung. Yes I'm still on the S10!
    samsung mid-tier too, see a54 and a34

btw i recently bought an s21 fe for my gf. normally i'd say it is an overpriced phone but we had a nice deal on it with coupons and stuff on amazon (~300€) and for that amount, i want an other one for myself too lol

i struggle to find a very attractive mid-tier phone now. pixels have relatively weak battery life and reported coverage issues in non officially supported countries like hungary, the zenfone 10 is cool but still expensive, mid-tier samsungs are meh, sony's have this weird form factor, motorola's like edge 40 or edge 30 fusion could be nice but i don't want an other chinese phone, that leaves me with basically nothing outside of pixel and samsung. and samsungs are mostly unnecessarily huge (save for the s21 fe and some expensive flagships), so it's either pixel or s21 fe. this s21 fe looks as bland as it gets, that's my only major complaint

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
    Feb 12, 2006
    samsung mid-tier too, see a54 and a34

btw i recently bought an s21 fe for my gf. normally i'd say it is an overpriced phone but we had a nice deal on it with coupons and stuff on amazon (~300€) and for that amount, i want an other one for myself too lol

i struggle to find a very attractive mid-tier phone now. pixels have relatively weak battery life and reported coverage issues in non officially supported countries like hungary, the zenfone 10 is cool but still expensive, mid-tier samsungs are meh, sony's have this weird form factor, motorola's like edge 40 or edge 30 fusion could be nice but i don't want an other chinese phone, that leaves me with basically nothing outside of pixel and samsung. and samsungs are mostly unnecessarily huge (save for the s21 fe and some expensive flagships), so it's either pixel or s21 fe. this s21 fe looks as bland as it gets, that's my only major complaint
    I was actually looking for a s20 a while ago but only the fe version was in stock. I was actually close to getting the s21 fe but I don't know just didn't appeal aesthetically as you pointed out, felt kinda cheap then suddenly I managed to get a good deal for the s22 (fuck I wish the UK version had snapdragon though) after trying to weigh it up with the pixel, with the larger memory space to compensate for the lack of a micro sd card slot, fortunately it also came with a free samsung chromebook and Disney plus sub for 12 months which was a nice bonus.
    As much as I like Samsung and have literally owned one since the S4, they're becoming more of a mini tablet than a practical phone, I won't even consider the folding phone series, its just a stupid gimmick to me, unfortunately alot of the rival manufacturers still have a way to go.

My mum actually has a Samsung mid tier phone which I have to say I was quite impressed by given its price and performance, it was certainly value for money, just falls short on a couple of things for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)