Android (7 Viewers)

Apr 15, 2006
I am running Linux and I already installed Android SDK and Eclipse.
Alright. I'm not sure about Eclipse, cos I didn;t root mine through Linux. Anyway, enable USB debugging on your phone by going into Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging. Now if you run the command 'adb devices' in the Terminal from the SDK folder, does it list your phone and the serial number?

Also, check out this guide. It looks simpler. But it's seems for Windows. But if you can enter the adb commands through Terminal, you should be set.

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Then you don't have root. Run the root process again.

The thing about rooting is not just achieving the root status, but mostly about installing custom ROM's. No matter how slow the phone is after rooting it, wiping the phone and installing a new ROM is the way to go.

Don't forget to backup your data though, mostly SMS, Call logs, APN's and contacts(if you don't sync contacts with Google, that is).
I get that prompt when running root explore, though? I can enter the root and see the folders there.

Apr 15, 2006
I get that prompt when running root explore, though? I can enter the root and see the folders there.
:sergio: Oh stupid me. I forgot that Superuser does not prompt that all the time. Just the first time.

Yes my friend, you have root. To be extra sure, download a terminal emulator from the market, and run the command 'su' in it. If you see '#' after it, then you have root.

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #1,085
    Alright. I'm not sure about Eclipse, cos I didn;t root mine through Linux. Anyway, enable USB debugging on your phone by going into Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging. Now if you run the command 'adb devices' in the Terminal from the SDK folder, does it list your phone and the serial number?

Also, check out this guide. It looks simpler. But it's seems for Windows. But if you can enter the adb commands through Terminal, you should be set.

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Magic_Rooting
    It is giving me adb command not found.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

:sergio: Oh stupid me. I forgot that Superuser does not prompt that all the time. Just the first time.

Yes my friend, you have root. To be extra sure, download a terminal emulator from the market, and run the command 'su' in it. If you see '#' after it, then you have root.

I get that prompt, click allow, then run that command and get that #. So I have root. Now what? :D

BTW. I really appreciate all the help man. You rock.

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
    Jun 1, 2010
    In regards to rooting, when I get G2 I want the sense ui. I believe I can flash a new ROM like the win mo phones ? What else does rooting do ? I'm a member on xda-developers but I'm only used to win mo so which guide should I follow to avoid bricking?

Apr 15, 2006
    I get that prompt, click allow, then run that command and get that #. So I have root. Now what? :D

BTW. I really appreciate all the help man. You rock.
    Now? Backup your data that I mentioned. There's apps on the Market that allow you to backup the SMS, Call Logs and APNs. Install Titanium Backup so that you can backup all the apps installed on your phone. Then go ROM hunting on XDA, choose a ROM that you like, and flash it. :D
    In regards to rooting, when I get G2 I want the sense ui. I believe I can flash a new ROM like the win mo phones ? What else does rooting do ? I'm a member on xda-developers but I'm only used to win mo so which guide should I follow to avoid bricking?
    Any guide will do. Just be sure to follow all the instructions and pay attention to small detail. And I'm sure an HTC Desire Z rom has been ported to the G2.

Apr 15, 2006
    Got my first Android phone today, what apps should I download
    :lol: That's one of the toughest questions to answer. I suggest you spend an hour or two browsing through the apps in the Market and installing the ones you like. Some that I recommend are:

Barcode Scanner
    Google Goggles
    Beautiful Widgets
    Chrome to Phone(to send links from your PC to your phone through Google Chrome)
    ES File Explorer or ASTRO file explorer
    Evernote
    eBuddy
    Extended Controls(for a customizable Power Control widget)
    Handcent SMS or Chomp SMS
    Juice Plotter(to track battery drain trend)
    Shazam
    WhatsApp
    Winamp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)