Android (19 Viewers)

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008
Nice device for the price... The local manufacturers are certainly giving their foreign counterparts a run for their money...

Apr 15, 2006
OK, I've decided to buy the HTC Desire, despite having a small urge to try out a phone with a non-Sense UI, and that it'll cost me about a month's pay. But it shouldn't be a problem as I can easily afford it. I just need to sell my Tattoo before getting it.

How are you Desire users liking it? Any complaints other than video quality? Is the phone sluggish sometimes? Has your 2.2 update improved the video and general phone performance?

OP
JCK

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #826
    I am really into the Desire as well but lately I have dropped an eye on the Samsung Galaxy S.

OP
    JCK

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #828
    What's the TouchWiz UI?

And you keep talking about size, you do know that the Desire is also big?

Apr 15, 2006
    Yes, the Desire is big, but the SGS is bigger by 3x4 mm, so it's considerably wider too. It is afterall personal preference and what each person considers "too big". For me, the Desire is acceptable, but the SGS is big.

TouchWiz UI is a custom UI similar to HTC's Sense and Motorola's Motoblur. TW just isn't very attractive to me. In fact, I don't like the UI's on most Samsung touch phones.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    It's interesting how opinions change after such a short time, eh? :D
    It wasn’t an opinion change but more of a second chance opportunity. Plus all the reviews had it slated as the best android phone to date. I guess that’s what happens when you give failures a second chance to prove themselves

Everyone was wrong! :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Yes, the Desire is big, but the SGS is bigger by 3x4 mm, so it's considerably wider too. It is afterall personal preference and what each person considers "too big". For me, the Desire is acceptable, but the SGS is big.

TouchWiz UI is a custom UI similar to HTC's Sense and Motorola's Motoblur. TW just isn't very attractive to me. In fact, I don't like the UI's on most Samsung touch phones.
    I'm not a fan of TouchWiz UI either (looks like it's trying too hard to be an iPhone), but the hardware/specs on the Galaxy S beats the Desire by a little bit.

With rooting/custom roms, I think the UI argument goes out the window, since you can pretty much put whatever you want on most phones.

I have the Desire and I'm loving it (this guy updates his rom literally every few days, so it's been a lot of fun flashing and trying out new stuff.

Given the choice, though, I'd get the Galaxy S and put Modaco or something on it.

Apr 15, 2006
    It wasn’t an opinion change but more of a second chance opportunity. Plus all the reviews had it slated as the best android phone to date. I guess that’s what happens when you give failures a second chance to prove themselves

Everyone was wrong! :D
    :agree:
    I'm not a fan of TouchWiz UI either (looks like it's trying too hard to be an iPhone), but the hardware/specs on the Galaxy S beats the Desire by a little bit.

With rooting/custom roms, I think the UI argument goes out the window, since you can pretty much put whatever you want on most phones.

I have the Desire and I'm loving it (this guy updates his rom literally every few days, so it's been a lot of fun flashing and trying out new stuff.

Given the choice, though, I'd get the Galaxy S and put Modaco or something on it.
    I agree with you. Rooting does invalidate that argument. But after the ROM-frenzy I had with the Tattoo, I don't feel like doing it again anytime soon. I hate having to start from scratch and install all the apps I need and transfer contacts, etc. I'm sure that there are easier ways to get things done, for sure. But this time I'd rather just enjoy the device as it is for a long time. It's even got FroYo, so I don't need anything more now.

As for my Desire, it'll have to wait till tomorrow. The store with the best price was out of stock, and would get it tomorrow. But I can't wait to get it.

Apr 15, 2006
    Got the Desire 2 days ago and it is awesome! Love how it is so much faster than the Tattoo. I guess the Snapdragon really shows its performance. I'm still waiting for the FroYo update to be pushed out to my phone. My friend already got his the day he bought it, so I can't wait.

Gray, how did you root your Desire? Did you use Unrevoked or another method? And I guess you didn't install the official 2.2 update, right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)