Android (14 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Sheik, I have the patience but dont know if I'll know how to :D

Its something like the operating system of the phone. Based on Android but changed and customized. Like a different version of Linux you can find. They're all Linuxes but different. So Instead of having the original factory software, you download one that has been made by the online community and replace the original one.
Spot on, Z.

In addition, custom ROMs have various optimizations that make it faster than the stock ROM that's pre-loaded on the phone. Plus ROM updates are more frequent, and usually have bug fixes and additional functionalities that manufacturers will most probably never make/add.
Ah right I thought that was what a launcher was.

This is true. But the Desire, which Nenna has, is covered really well, and almost all the roms right now are full-featured.

You're learning well. :D
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S II bro :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
:sergio:

Actually, Samsung are quite open to the developer community. They don't lock the bootloader like Motorola or HTC do, and they actually hired the lead developer of CyanogenMod(a very famous ROM maker) recently. So even the SGS2 should have great ROMs.

They even sent over a few phones to the developer community (dont know who exactly) for them to work with. I love Samsung, and was thinking over the Galaxy S and LG O2X (who were in my price range, O2X even a bit more than what I wanted to pay, but oh well. SGS was around 270 € and O2X around 320 €), but now I'm happy I got the O2X, it looks great (more beautiful than the Samsung for me) and is running great so far. However, if I had enough money I'd love the SGS II. SGS II is cheaper than iPhone 4, yet a few of my friends bought the iPhone over it :sergio:

As for the O2X, I'd likely be pissed off had I bought it when it just came out and having to wait for GB this long (it was supposed to be out in june, but they delayed the update all the time).

Apr 15, 2006
I don't think I ever missed GB on my phone. It's not like it has some breakthrough features that I can't live with. Most of the times, you can't even notice the difference in performance, and the only loss would be the inability to run apps made only for GB, which is very less IMO. It's just a craze to have the latest without knowing the benefits. I think the benefits aren't that big.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
I don't think I ever missed GB on my phone. It's not like it has some breakthrough features that I can't live with. Most of the times, you can't even notice the difference in performance, and the only loss would be the inability to run apps made only for GB, which is very less IMO. It's just a craze to have the latest without knowing the benefits. I think the benefits aren't that big.
I would have to agree, I dont mind the Froyo so far. Although since O2X was the first dual core on the market, they say that GB should also bring a new kernel with it that might improve hardware performance and battery consumption. Still, I have no problem waiting and I'll use it for a while before I decide to go with a custom rom, I dont have the need for it yet.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
With Samsung+LG being forced to stop producing Android phones, the OS will suffer a great deal, it will harm it in two levels, one by losing 2 major devs and one from the fresh competitor...

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
How are they being stopped from making Android phones? :shifty:

EDIT: Yeah Sheik, exactly, plus, to the best of my knowledge, it was only the Galaxy Tab in Germany and that I think was overturned soon.

Everybody is suing everybody in the mobile phone industry. In fact, Google bought motorola just to be able to defend Android in the patent war. some of the patents are outright ridiculous.

So no, neither LG nor Samsung will stop making Android phones.

And seriously Cronios, I hope you dont have anything sharp near you, I dont recall meeting/talking to a more negative person.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
They are forced to switch production to non American companies of software, rumors have it that they have cancelled some new tabs and they bought HP webOS and they will start using it as primary.

Hopefully, they will keep making a couple of androids/year though.

But Android loses a perfect opportunity to deal the death blow on WM7 and consolidate the advantage over apple.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Of course they will not withdraw the current products or stop producing them, or cancel the ones already in production, but they will focus on Bada/webOS/WM7 for their future models, which is harmful enough for the future prospects of Android, as they will not only lose a significant ally, but they are also going to face new competition.

If the next Galaxy S3 and Optimus 3D II are Bada, then you can see the consequences in the long run for the Android OS...

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Of course they will not withdraw the current products or stop producing them, or cancel the ones already in production, but they will focus on Bada/webOS/WM7 for their future models, which is harmful enough for the future prospects of Android, as they will not only lose a significant ally, but they are also going to face new competition.

If the next Galaxy S3 and Optimus 3D II are Bada, then you can see the consequences in the long run for the Android OS...

Are you serious? There is no way LG nor Samsung are giving up on Android, in fact they will only go stronger. In the recently leaged Samsung roadmap for next year 9 phones are Androids, 3 Bada and 1 W7.

Android is the only real competitor to the iOS in smarthpones right now and the fastest growing OS probably, there is no way any of the manufacturers will stop investing in it. Samsung will continue with Bada, but IMO those will be a bit lower end phones than Androids (software wise), something between the Android and feature phone range.

All the manufacturers are also working on W7, because you cant afford to miss out on the popular OS, and especially miss out on the most popular one, which Andorid is now. Nokia missed out on Android and therefore they are suffering badly. The other manufacturers want to cover all grounds, and Android is the place to be now.

So no worries, Android will be fine, especially with Google behind it.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Apr 15, 2006
They are forced to switch production to non American companies of software, rumors have it that they have cancelled some new tabs and they bought HP webOS and they will start using it as primary.

Hopefully, they will keep making a couple of androids/year though.

But Android loses a perfect opportunity to deal the death blow on WM7 and consolidate the advantage over apple.
Samsung hasn't bought WebOS. It's only rumours circulating. Plus, HP does not plan on selling off WebOS.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
You guys are confusing two different issues.

This has nothing to do with the Apple patent dispute.

The SK government is encouraging/pressuring Samsung and LG to jump the Android ship and work together on producing some kind of Korean mobile OS. It makes no sense and I don't see it happening, especially given Samsung's awful track record with in-house software.

The government can't force them to do anything, really. LG and Samsung have way too much power (since the two companies combined make up an overwhelming majority of the GDP) and will make their own decision.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
You guys are confusing two different issues.

This has nothing to do with the Apple patent dispute.

The SK government is encouraging/pressuring Samsung and LG to jump the Android ship and work together on producing some kind of Korean mobile OS. It makes no sense and I don't see it happening, especially given Samsung's awful track record with in-house software.

The government can't force them to do anything, really. LG and Samsung have way too much power (since the two companies combined make up an overwhelming majority of the GDP) and will make their own decision.
yes, i thought Sheik and co were very well informed about Android issues, to my knowledge this is growing to be a huge issue lately, i thought it was known.
I hope that at least Samsung, who is growing to be my fav company, will not accept limitations to their growth.
They might try to support another OS though, if it fails, they will have the perfect excuse, if it succeeds, the number of Android phones in the portofolio might reduce, but hopefully we will still be able to enjoy a galaxy once in a while.
Who brought the drama to this thread? :sergio:
ssry Jack, i had to inform (warn :cronios: ) you about this :alen:

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
:sergio:

Actually, Samsung are quite open to the developer community. They don't lock the bootloader like Motorola or HTC do, and they actually hired the lead developer of CyanogenMod(a very famous ROM maker) recently. So even the SGS2 should have great ROMs.
What you don't like it? you told me to get it! :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)