Andrea Pirlo (36 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 10, 2009
Pirlo won coppa and super coppa in first season. He’s already ahead of Southgate. Until next week maybe.
Southgate took over at Middlesbrough whereas Pirlo took over at Juventus.
Regardless, he was sacked took a minor role as an U21 then came back strong. Pirlo can do the same, just needs to find himself a small project first.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
Did he come back strong though or is he merely profiting from easy opponents? Still looks a very mediocre coach to me.
I don't like the guy, I feel that way about every English player but I won't forget how he ranted against us regarding the Super League! he was a mediocre player and now an average coach

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004
Did he come back strong though or is he merely profiting from easy opponents? Still looks a very mediocre coach to me.
Definitely the latter. He’s got to two major tournament semi finals but only played 2 major footballing nations. They lost to Belgium and beat Germany.

it’s amazing how easy their passage has been at both tournaments. Looks like he’s going to make a final at Wembley as well…

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Definitely the latter. He’s got to two major tournament semi finals but only played 2 major footballing nations. They lost to Belgium and beat Germany.

it’s amazing how easy their passage has been at both tournaments. Looks like he’s going to make a final at Wembley as well…
Euro2008 - McClaren didn't even qualify for the tournament
WC2010 - Capello barely qualified 2nd from an easy group, then got trashed by Germany
Euro2012 - Hodgson lost in penalties to Italy in 1/4 finals
WC2014 - England finished dead last in their group with 1 point in 3 games
Euro2016 - exited the tournament in 1/8 finals against Iceland

None of the managers between SGE and Southgate had managed to win a single knockout tie in those 5 tournaments, the only time they looked like a semi-decent team was 2012. Its easy to downplay the opponents they overcame in 2018 and now, but England is like Inter, winning with them is twice as hard because the environment is retarded, Southgate definitely has done an impressive job there. They're boring but at least they're not embarrassing.

Mar 10, 2009
WC2010 - Capello barely qualified 2nd from an easy group, then got trashed by Germany

None of the managers between SGE and Southgate had managed to win a single knockout tie in those 5 tournaments, the only time they looked like a semi-decent team was 2012. Its easy to downplay the opponents they overcame in 2018 and now, but England is like Inter, winning with them is twice as hard because the environment is retarded, Southgate definitely has done an impressive job there. They're boring but at least they're not embarrassing.
Thank you.

Mike-e-y

Jul 18, 2004

I’m not downplaying what he’s achieved, unlike those before him he’s actually managed to beat what’s in front of him, but there’s no doubt they have had the luck of the draw now for the last 2 tournaments and momentum is really important in tournament football.

He’s made them hard to beat and he has a good understanding of grassroots football in England. Doing the u21 job before the first team job also looks to have been a great shout as he brought a lot of those players through. He will not be a success when he leaves England though, he’s just the right guy at the right time for them.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
england conceded zero goals in 5 matches. regardless of how i feel about the english nt, southgate or english football in general, as an italian football fan, i find it impressive.

i hope they lose to denmark though. it can be with penalties, so as far as i'm concerned, they can close the tournament with zero goals conceded and they can award themselves the best defense trophy á la galliani/adl.

Arcticdaly

Oct 3, 2018
Southgate is very average manager he plays 2 dms and 4 defenders against the worst rubbish teams which is why they havent conceded many goals with the most stacked england talent around. He has had insane luck with the draws in both last WC and this euros and he still managed to mess up that WC.

Not to mention they have home advantage and other teams can barely bring there fans into stadiums becauase of covid rules etc.. He is very much like ole that was given the job on being a nice guy thats get on well with the players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)