Andrea Pirlo (65 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Because he is the coach right now though still learning to implement his thesis on the football pitch
For any up and coming coach learning his trade, his 'thesis' should be implemented in a low pressure environment without having the stress to produce results.

This is a high pressure environment where results is the first priority. You have manage towering personalities and big ego's whom you hope that they will buy into your footballing philosophy.

Now that he's made a terrible start to the season with no signs of progress, his 'thesis' goes out of the window because results are the main objective. As mentioned it's not working maybe because of a lack of personnel or players not buying into his ideas. Which leaves him to rely on individuals to carry the team to victories.

A relationship like this is doomed to fail because you are trying to implement an idea (which takes time) and now you are forced to revert back to a different approach because you have no choice but to produce results. And it also doesn't appear that Pirlo believes in pragmatism either.

Jun 6, 2015
The biggest problem with Pirlo is that he seems either unable to or unaware of our massive problems: players completely out of shape and structure in the defensive phase. This team has had 9 years of success by being compact. We are so far from compact at the moment. The gaps between midfield and defence are basically canyons, when one midfielder pushes up the other one needs to drop back and cover. Instead we see our players pushing into a stacked final third, passing the ball aimlessly against a structured opponent, losing the ball and then getting totally exposes on the counter because we have pushed players up with no real structure.

It is so crystal clear that none of the players on the pitch understand what their role and responsibilities are. Our LB is a LM. Our RB is a CB. Our AM is LM. Our RM is a RW. It only gets more confusing when the subs are brought in and we have Bernardeschi playing as a LWB... it’s no surprise we’re performing like clowns.

Something else has to stipe as well: this high press. It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen, we concede far more opportunities than we create by insisting on this pressure up the park, I can count on 1 hand the amount of times we’ve recovered the ball from it but I see 5-6 examples every game of where we are passed out of it and expose an already fragile back line. It’s got to stop. We do not have the personnel or the structure to apply it. Stop it. Stop it now. When we lose the ball we should press for 10 seconds around the ball carrier with the nearest two players. The rest of the team should drop

The success of all football teams depends on their control of central midfield. We need to stack it, and Ramsey is not suitable. Arthur is our only midfielder capable of holding off pressure. He needs to be put in the Regista role. McKennie should be RCM and Rabiot should be LCM but with structure attacking. If one goes forward, the other drops. We need to be between the lines of our opponents.

So many issues and let’s face it, we’ve seen no improvement or hint of that throughout Pirlo’s tenure
Here are some comments from Pirlo regarding the play style he wants to implement:
“The founding idea of my football is based off a will that is: purposeful, possessive and attacking. I want total football.”

“The two principals of my football are: we must keep the ball for as long as possible and be ferocious in winning it back immediately.”

"The teams that inspired my ideas as a football coach were: Cruyff’s Barcelona, then Guardiola’s, Van Gaal’s Ajax, Ancelotti’s AC Milan & Conte’s Juventus.”
I'm pretty sure he won't give up on his ideas. He will keep trying to implement totaalvoetbal at Juve as long as he's given time. Implementing such drastic changes to our play style was always going to be a big risk. Pirlo needed to understand that Ajax and Barca teach their youth players to play that way from an early age and mostly sign players that fit into that model. He should have made the changes in a more gradual way so the players wouldn't have had so many new things to think about during the games.

Here are some good comments from Allegri that I feel are applicable to our situation:
“The game is decided by players,” Allegri continues. “I agree with other trainers that the team has to have the organisation, and tactics, but it is important that the individual plays well.” Allegri worries that Serie A and some coaches have become too strangled by tactics. “We need to change the mentality in Italy,” he argues. “We have thrown completely away our old playing style. We need to connect the old style of trainer and the new style. In Italy, we lost this. In Coverciano [Italy’s coaching school outside Florence] the culture should be changed.”

It’s about hearts and minds, not filling heads with too many confusing tactical commands. Allegri does drill his players hard, as Juventus’ often impenetrable shape out of possession showed, but he keeps returning to players as sentient creatures, not robots. “A coach should not create anxiety for players,” he continues. “If you start only from your ideas, your credo, and you don’t start from the quality of the human material you have in your hands, I consider that a big mistake.”

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Do
Won't blame him. Even if it was Allegri yesterday the result will be the same.
Our team is overpaid pieces of shit.
Dont disagree...but how can we beat milan and barca the way we did if this is the case? Pirlo was a great coach on those days and the players were very good...but against inter it was the opposite. So what is the deal?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Do

Dont disagree...but how can we beat milan and barca the way we did if this is the case? Pirlo was a great coach on those days and the players were very good...but against inter it was the opposite. So what is the deal?
Inexperience and running into a very experienced manager

jukazem

Feb 10, 2007
Do

Players weren't available against Inter, but there're still some doubts about whether Pirlo knows which players he shouldn't play come the big matches if everyone's available.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Do

This season a lot of teams will have up and down games- it’s hard to push 100% in every game with such a tight schedule. Even clubs like Bayern and Liverpool are struggling.
Milan are an exception in how many points they’ve taken- I think they’re number 1 in the top 5 leagues for ppg.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Pirlo isn't a coach, just like Tootise the scout isn't a proper sporting director.

Ideally, Pirlo should have been trying out his ideas at Albinoleffe, not @ Juventus. This is similar to the Nets hiring Nash, but they have 3 superstar level players in a team of five, while we have one ageing superstar in a team of 11 accompanied by a bunch of scrubs (Danilo, Dybala, De Ligt, McNuggets, Chiesa and Cuads aside).

The whole organization has turned into a sick joke, and Agnelli is to blame for trusting inexperienced and unqualified personell.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015

i mean look at this. look at those gaps. look at those 4 players covering 3 m2's. look at the organization, and it's not the first friendly of the season with plenty of u23 players, this is the actual first team almost half way through the season.

and this, look at this shit:

how we still have one of the best defensive records in the league is, yet how we look like amateurs every single time we step on the pitch is beyond me. this is the least organized juventus i've ever seen. we've been inviting these counters all season, yet nothing changed.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47m3uwh34j3ukrqhrrhiinzt62zeqprg1s9wy3o8qb&rid=giphy.gif

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
This season a lot of teams will have up and down games- it’s hard to push 100% in every game with such a tight schedule. Even clubs like Bayern and Liverpool are struggling.
Milan are an exception in how many points they’ve taken- I think they’re number 1 in the top 5 leagues for ppg.
We played badly and we dont get results. This is on Pirlo. Our players have no idea what they are doing outthere.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Pirlo isn't a coach, just like Tootise the scout isn't a proper sporting director.

Ideally, Pirlo should have been trying out his ideas at Albinoleffe, not @ Juventus. This is similar to the Nets hiring Nash, but they have 3 superstar level players in a team of five, while we have one ageing superstar in a team of 11 accompanied by a bunch of scrubs (Danilo, Dybala, De Ligt, McNuggets, Chiesa and Cuads aside).

The whole organization has turned into a sick joke, and Agnelli is to blame for trusting inexperienced and unqualified personell.
lol at putting Dybala and not Morata in your non-scrub group.

Morty has been our second best player this season. Dybala has been Bernadeschi level scrub.

Other than that, good post. :p

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013

Honestly, I don’t see a big problem with our squad. We desperately need a top midfielder though. Bentancur, Rabiot, and Arthur are good backups but nowhere near being starting level for Juve

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
Won't blame him. Even if it was Allegri yesterday the result will be the same.
Our team is overpaid pieces of shit.
LOL, no.
Max would have doubled hakimi and serve Conte his own medicine. Sit deep, soak pressure and play on the counter, hoping that our individual brilience will give us a win.
If not 1 point is still better than none.
We can also agree that Max would have never played a frabotta like player in this match. Mckennie would have started at lb for lack of a better option. (remember matuidi).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)