Andrea Pirlo (33 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I think Pirlo is better than Xabi. But that's not to say, I don't rate Xabi. But i don't like these short term fixes. At 32, you're going to want another replacement in 2-3 years for that position. And Tevez's position. Unnecessary. I'd like to go in for Verratti if it's a cover for Pirlo, but most importantly, we should think about the possibility of reinventing things, because besides Pirlo, there are other pieces of the puzzle we have to consider, like Barzagli.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I think Pirlo is better than Xabi. But that's not to say, I don't rate Xabi. But i don't like these short term fixes. At 32, you're going to want another replacement in 2-3 years for that position. And Tevez's position. Unnecessary. I'd like to go in for Verratti if it's a cover for Pirlo, but most importantly, we should think about the possibility of reinventing things, because besides Pirlo, there are other pieces of the puzzle we have to consider, like Barzagli.
I believe that's already solved.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
All DLP enjoyed their best season in their 30s. Look at Pirlo or Carrick as an example.

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
I believe that's already solved.
Ogby mostly of course, but both if necessary
Ogby isn't a Barzagli replacement IMO. Not a natural one anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

All DLP enjoyed their best season in their 30s. Look at Pirlo or Carrick as an example.
Sure, but aren't you better off filling the position witharm longer, more sustainable cycle? We are going to need replacements for Xabi, hypothetically, Tevez if he signs a one year extension in his contract and definitely Barzagli, while coping with the inevitable sale of one of Pogba/Vidal, all over subsequent summers (over the next 3-4 years). More of an opinion here, but I think when you're losing one of the best in the world at that position, it's not unwise to consider changing things around, rather than plugging the gap for a short term.

The pros are of course, it's a low risk operation. Xabi on a free, perhaps getting Pirlo wages or a bit more, so it's an effective deal through nd through. But it is worth considering, that keepi changes of the short term future in mind, we maybe better set for the long haul by reinventing a few things rather than trying to clone. Like I think we'd do great with a 4231/433 and even sustain it in the long run, because there's a lot of players that suit that formation, rather than be dependent on a DLP to play our natural game. Because that is genuinely a dying breed in today's football.

89man

Sep 4, 2013
I bet Allegri is one of your all time favorite coaches too.
As much as i love Pirlo, i can see why Milan and Allegri let him go at the time.
He hadn't been as consistent in his last two seasons, and he was injured for portions during the 2010-2011 season, but we still went on to clinch the scudetto.
It looked like his best days were behind him.
He wanted a new 3 year deal, but apparently Milan only offer 1 year deals now, to players over 30.

Pirlo himself said he needed a new challenge, but unfortunately from a Milan stand point, he has gone on to significantly improve one of our main rivals.

Still forever greatful for his 9 years at the club, and he will always be a Milan legend!

Dec 31, 2008
“I’ll certainly play on, we’ll just have to see where,” he told the Gazzetta dello Sport in August.
“Juve are my priority, but I don’t want to be a weight for anybody. The years go by, but it is not written that I have to stay here just because I am called Pirlo.
“I want to feel important and a part of the side’s success, otherwise I’ll leave. But I want to underline that it won’t be a problem about money or choosing between one club and another.
“If I had to change, perhaps I’ll go abroad. I’ll certainly continue playing for a high level team.”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 28)