vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

chester

Too busy to bother
May 20, 2006
Pirlo is unique, underlines Materazzi

Pescara starlet Marco Verratti is not the new Andrea Pirlo. “One doesn’t exist,” says Marco Materazzi.

The 19-year-old has won comparisons with the Italy and Juventus playmaker, but ex-Azzzurri international Materazzi has cooled the similarities between the two.

“Pirlo is an extraordinary player, but there will never be a player born like him again,” the former Inter stopper stated.

“I think that Verratti has some excellent qualities, but you can put too much pressure on to his shoulders. The new Pirlo does not exist.”

The Italian Under-21 international has been likened to the former Milan man given that he, like Pirlo, started life as an attacking midfielder before being transformed into a deep playmaker.

Juventus and Napoli have attempted to sign Verratti this summer, but newly promoted Pescara have now taken him off the market.

Materazzi was an international colleague of Pirlo and they won the World Cup together in the summer of 2006.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Why do you have to be so irritating, Raz?
Oh sorry I forgot, since Pirlo is playing for us now, he definetly deserves the award. He is by far the best ever and ever and ever and ever, of course after Del Piero.

Pirlo himself said it good. As long as there are Ronaldo and Messi who score 60+ goals he has no chance. What's so hard to understand here?

NitK

Jul 22, 2008
But Ballon d'Or isn't a world golden boot award.

If Italy were to win the Euros, a stretch? Possibly. But if they did, and it was through Pirlos skill and creativity, just as Juve won the League with the same reasons. I don't see why he wouldn't majorly be in contention. Not to mention, from what I see, the journalists/voters are really jumping on the Pirlo bandwagon.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
I'm not against it, I would be very happy with it, but it's such a long shot that I don't think it's worth considering it.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
why? i'm sure there was a goal machine in la liga (dinho maybe?) don't remember that season so well in the other leagues..plus juve was demoted. he has a big chance..a very big one. the euro counts
Nah, there wasn't such a goal machine. Plus Messi is not only a goal machine, but he is a face and the main thing which carries this uefa team barcelona. And Canna got it for a monster performence in World Cup.

Plus this season he broke all time record for goals scored in one season iirc.

Man I would love that anyone else would win besides this charactless guy, even if its Ronaldo. And if it's Pirlo that would be something else. I just don't think its possible. If I remember Alen said that now the award is given by captains of teams coaches and just then the journalists? So who do you think all those minnow nations will vote the "the best of all time Messi" or italian?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 51)