Andrea Pirlo (26 Viewers)

vote

• Legend

• History

Results are only viewable after voting.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
The thing that I like the most so far is more directness in our game (seen only at times though). If Pirlo wants to stick to this 352/442/4231 thing, then it's a must thing to work on IMO.

433 of the past few years was always about keeping the ball for longer periods which pretty much always turns into slow buildup and sterile game if you don't have enough magic to break through parked buses.

Good organization, more running and directness (vertical passes) seem to be more effective these days than the difficult-to-copy tiki-taka approach.

Oh and sort out the defensive phase too. Especially holding mids are too often caught off their guard, without them the defense is too exposed.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
The thing that I like the most so far is more directness in our game (seen only at times though). If Pirlo wants to stick to this 352/442/4231 thing, then it's a must thing to work on IMO.

433 of the past few years was always about keeping the ball for longer periods which pretty much always turns into slow buildup and sterile game if you don't have enough magic to break through parked buses.

Good organization, more running and directness (vertical passes) seem to be more effective these days than the difficult-to-copy tiki-taka approach.

Oh and sort out the defensive phase too. Especially holding mids are too often caught off their guard, without them the defense is too exposed.
4-3-3 is better than any other formation with 3 at the back. We sacrifice an attacker or midfielder for a CB.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
4-3-3 is better than any other formation with 3 at the back. We sacrifice an attacker or midfielder for a CB.
To me we currently play more of a 442/4231, it's just that in attack Danilo stays deeper as a fullback than Cuadrado.

Biggest problem lies in organization, the team too often doesn't move as a unit, leaving holes which opponents attack to easily.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
The early signs are very worrying..

Pirlo is a rookie manager so his results mean everything.. His results is all we have to go by to make a judgement on whether he should be managing one of the biggest football clubs in the world..

His appointment can only be described as gamble, no knows if it will be successful or not..

Will be interesting to see how long he is given to prove himself..
The only game that worried me was the Roma game, and how poor we were till going down to 10 men.
Crotone and Verona were must win games, but the performances themselves weren't that bad.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
His biggest flaw so far seems he's way stubborn to change his tactics and ideas about football. The ultra-attacking football we play leaves us exposed and prone to counters yet he doesn't seem to compromise his ideas and play a more defensive or instruct his players to do so.

Even Sarri, known for his own idealism and own brand of football, ditched his ideas and grinded out marginal wins and became pragmatic. Allegri was pragmatic and changed his ideas to his squad.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
His biggest flaw so far seems he's way stubborn to change his tactics and ideas about football. The ultra-attacking football we play leaves us exposed and prone to counters yet he doesn't seem to compromise his ideas and play a more defensive or instruct his players to do so.

Even Sarri, known for his own idealism and own brand of football, ditched his ideas and grinded out marginal wins and became pragmatic. Allegri was pragmatic and changed his ideas to his squad.
He doesn't seem stubborn to me at all so far.
If he sticks with a formation for 20 games and we fail to win many of those games, then you might have a point.
I don't blame him for sticking with a formation for 4-5 games.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Hes also missing his best attacking player Ronaldo for 3 games now.

And if that's not enough we are missing our best CB de ligt all games.

This team will be a lot different when you have two match winning players in your team.

On a side note everyone here losing their mind over the results would legit kill themselves if they were liverpool fans.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
- Ronaldo
- Dybala (for most of the season)
- De Ligt
- Alex Sandro

4 vital starters missing. Any team would struggle under such conditions, let alone one with a new coach and no time to practice.

- - - Updated - - -

man that 15/16 run was something else.
I thought our run was over then, not gonna lie.

Oct 23, 2011
I don't blame him for not changing his tactics and ideas about football after 5 games, 2 of which we ended up with 10 man and the majority of which we missed literally all key players from last season either due to injury, covid or lack of form (Ronaldo, Dybala, De Ligt, Sandro, and Bentancur). Besides, he wrote his thesis on these tactics and ideas and literally got hired because of this reason. It's way too early to call him stubborn because he is sticking to his ideas he has developed over the years both as a player and in his preparation of becoming a coach.

Let's start talking about his flexibility until at least after December or after he put in a string of games with all players being fit.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
He doesn't seem stubborn to me at all so far.
If he sticks with a formation for 20 games and we fail to win many of those games, then you might have a point.
I don't blame him for sticking with a formation for 4-5 games.
We conceded 3 of our last 4 goals due to counters because our wingbacks were in the opposition's box and our CB's were up the half way line. The whole transition from attack to defence seems awful to me. These are league games for actual points, not pre-season.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
I like how we are attacking more, what i dislike is that we arw simply too shaky when attacked or pressed.

But still i think pirlo and this team have so much unlocked potential... I really want to see more and see what he can do once things like formations and injures settle

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
For me, his big test will be when MDL returns. He's going to have to put his buddies out to pasture at some point...but will he do it?

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I still don't trust Danilo to start longterm. He's been improved this season but i can't help the feeling he is always one slip or lazy pass away from conceding a turn over and counter but options remain limited for RB

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Easily. But is that his best position and is it necessary to play 3 CBs when you can put out such an athletic and physical partnership like MDL-Demiral?
Besides I think it's easier to have fullbacks wider and ask you DMs to help in buildup. In worst case scenario you lose the ball, there's at leas one DM in front of the defenders.

Back 3 as such is also a novelty to Demiral and MDL.

Juventinoo

Ertuğrul Oğlu Osman
Oct 20, 2004
I thought his appointment was a gamble. But at the same time, despite the results, I generally see good things.

Given the fairly large shift in playing philosophy and turnover in players not to mention the unfortunate injuries and lack of pre-season, I think its way to premature to judge yet.

It takes players months before they become fully accustomed to the new set up.

So long as we get through the group stages and stay within contact of the top spot in Serie A by February or March, then I think injury permitting, the team should hit its peak around then.
I can see the same, I liked how versatile he is, trying new things ....but the formation is one thing and placing the right gameplay to grab the results is another thing!

Also, not having pre-season games should stop ...

in general, i see our team is always weak, vulnerable, prone to error, can't close a game, laousy sometimes, no identity yet .....even roles messed up ...un identified...

and this keeps repeating every game ...until , IF he can, Pirlo fix that,,,we will be out of CL places and i can't see AA risk that ..

Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Still not a fan of Danilo, he has to do a lot more to make up for the heebie jeebies he gave me last season, but good to see Pirlo bring a South American to the presser.

He needs to play well tomorrow esp. Hopefully this gave him more confidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)