Andrea "Il Bruco Brutto" Agnelli (27 Viewers)

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
What is happening to him?
Main reason why games against big European teams attract as much attention is that those encounters are few times per year, at most. Super league would be an absolute hit for a year or two but soon it would lose its novelty and interest would start to fade away. This would be further exacerbated by the fact that all those 'super teams' and their fans are use to winning trophies, which wouldnt be possible any longer on a regular basis. Imagine Juventus at the bottom of the league for instance, or Bayern, and how many of their fans would want to go back to domestic leagues then? I feel majority. Its not all about fucking money and plusvalenza.
I have been saying this for years. I hate AA. He is a trash human. An entitled trust fund baby.

Изпратено от моят HUAWEI LYO-L21 с помощта на Tapatalk

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
He's been pushing this Superleague agenda for a long time now.
Cool, that's completely fine. But to shit on a club doing amazing things because they aren't big? Where is the class?

Kudos to Atalanta. He should be more concerned about why we lost to Lyon and Lazio instead of why a small club is doing well in the CL and his club can't win the CL under his watch.

Powis

Dec 9, 2009
What is happening to him?
Main reason why games against big European teams attract as much attention is that those encounters are few times per year, at most. Super league would be an absolute hit for a year or two but soon it would lose its novelty and interest would start to fade away. This would be further exacerbated by the fact that all those 'super teams' and their fans are use to winning trophies, which wouldnt be possible any longer on a regular basis. Imagine Juventus at the bottom of the league for instance, or Bayern, and how many of their fans would want to go back to domestic leagues then? I feel majority. Its not all about fucking money and plusvalenza.
I agree with you but at the same time I stick to my opinion that Agnelli is just trying to put pressure on the UEFA. I've been reading all of his interviews for quite a while now and it seems that he just wants more European matches and he would prefer to have them in the CL. He wants a big reform. Meanwhile, UEFA will have no choice but to listen to the desires of the biggest clubs. I don't believe the Super league will happen, instead we will see a very reshaped CL and probably pretty soon.

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
There is an easy middle ground solution for the superleague idea, reduce league competitions and increase CL group stages. Look at the basketball Euroleague for comparison (the former format from 2012 to 2016), 24 teams spread in 4 groups of 6, then the last 16 with 2 groups of 8, then the QF. That's 24 int. games before the QF if you qualify for the 2nd stage. Right now you have only 8. Part of the allure of the CL (besides best teams playing) is it's drawing system and the knockouts, and that would both be kept but with much more games. Leagues also become stronger and more exciting due to less teams

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
There is an easy middle ground solution for the superleague idea, reduce league competitions and increase CL group stages. Look at the basketball Euroleague for comparison (the former format from 2012 to 2016), 24 teams spread in 4 groups of 6, then the last 16 with 2 groups of 8, then the QF. That's 24 int. games before the QF if you qualify for the 2nd stage. Right now you have only 8. Part of the allure of the CL (besides best teams playing) is it's drawing system and the knockouts, and that would both be kept but with much more games. Leagues also become stronger and more exciting due to less teams
God, I hate the group stages of the CL

Nomuken

NUMB
Contributor
Dec 14, 2009
I don’t know after reading his direct quote

I have great respect for everything that Atalanta are doing, but without international history and thanks to just one great season, they had direct access into the primary European club competition. Is that right or not?” said Agnelli.

giphy.gif

Yo this n*gga is wilin’

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Cool, that's completely fine. But to shit on a club doing amazing things because they aren't big? Where is the class?

Kudos to Atalanta. He should be more concerned about why we lost to Lyon and Lazio instead of why a small club is doing well in the CL and his club can't win the CL under his watch.
Doesn't seem very classy of him but I think in the wider context it's not as harsh as it seems. Once they changed the rules from 2+2 qualification or 3+1 to a straight 4 it weeded out those constant Italian flops in the qualification round. That change massively benefited floundering Italian clubs tbh, whose ranking and enabling the league to have four spots was not earned by Atalanta, Chievo, Udinese, Sampdoria or the others but by Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma.

Obviously Atalanta are doing fantastically well but they are hugely benefiting from the change in rules and have a chance to cement themselves by finishing 4th every season. Other Serie A success stories didn't have this chance. And compared to clubs like Ajax, Porto etc they are victims of the weak league they play in and have no chance for consistent improvement in this modern football. A good team of their comes along and gets decimated and they start again.

I don't like the ringfenced elitism that Agnelli's SL proposal has, but also without it you just create another CL in the same format. It's an argument the 'little guys' won't like.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Doesn't seem very classy of him but I think in the wider context it's not as harsh as it seems. Once they changed the rules from 2+2 qualification or 3+1 to a straight 4 it weeded out those constant Italian flops in the qualification round. That change massively benefited floundering Italian clubs tbh, whose ranking and enabling the league to have four spots was not earned by Atalanta, Chievo, Udinese, Sampdoria or the others but by Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma.

Obviously Atalanta are doing fantastically well but they are hugely benefiting from the change in rules and have a chance to cement themselves by finishing 4th every season. Other Serie A success stories didn't have this chance. And compared to clubs like Ajax, Porto etc they are victims of the weak league they play in and have no chance for consistent improvement in this modern football. A good team of their comes along and gets decimated and they start again.

I don't like the ringfenced elitism that Agnelli's SL proposal has, but also without it you just create another CL in the same format. It's an argument the 'little guys' won't like.
As if he cares about the "little guys".
The big clubs just want to create some kind of closed league where they are guaranteed to be in it every single year. Just remove the need to qualify.
And Atalanta, for example, will obviously not be part of it & most likely never will.

Personally, I have no interest in any sort of superleague whatsoever & will just stop watching, but it could work. At least for a while, I think. Probably not in the long run I would think, but who knows.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
As if he cares about the "little guys".
The big clubs just want to create some kind of closed league where they are guaranteed to be in it every single year. Just remove the need to qualify.
And Atalanta, for example, will obviously not be part of it & most likely never will.

Personally, I have no interest in any sort of superleague whatsoever & will just stop watching, but it could work. At least for a while, I think. Probably not in the long run I would think, but who knows.
Of course he doesn't care. He sees the business aspect first above sporting, Atalanta generate peanuts. They can't even play in their own stadium. Although I do think when teams like Atalanta come along there is a sense of romanticism because of the way they play. I remember Udinese had a bit of that about them but for years they have been fairly boring. If it was anyone but this Atalanta I'd wager that the argument against would be much less.

On this particular forum, I'd also wager that if Juve were playing better right now there'd less of an argument as well, but maybe that's another story.

Also you will notice that successful PL clubs like Liverpool or City will not be for it, but struggling ones like Man Utd or Arsenal will be.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
atalanta is the new darling of every single serie a fan, and rightfully so. you can't create enough context to agnelli's words to make it look at least understandable. while i get his general point of view, it was a stupid remark, no two ways about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)