Andrea Barzagli (17 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:lol: saw that one. I am so glad I wasn't an active poster back then. I'd have made so many wrong pessimistic predictions :D
Me too!

But I don't understand the hatred that was spewed about a guy who cost us 300K. If we had paid 10M for him, then I could understand it based on his Bundesliga time, but we got him for basically free. What exactly was there to be pissed about?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Its easy to laugh at such opinions in hindsight though. Very unfaur to blame those people for such opinions when they were actually mainstream back then. I clearly remember nobody expecting Barzagli to be a success.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Its easy to laugh at such opinions in hindsight though. Very unfaur to blame those people for such opinions when they were actually mainstream back then. I clearly remember nobody expecting Barzagli to be a success.
I didn't expect him to be a success either... But he cost 300K, the hatred and vitriol spewed about his signing was pretty bad. Especially considering he had been a pretty good young defender in the past at Palermo.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Me too!

But I don't understand the hatred that was spewed about a guy who cost us 300K. If we had paid 10M for him, then I could understand it based on his Bundesliga time, but we got him for basically free. What exactly was there to be pissed about?
we were having a disastrous season and everyone was depressed. Then the transfer window came and we anticipated good reinforcements but then signed an old bundesliga flop to "save the season". We got toni too I think. Imagine last season we kept flopping until the jan window and then signed rannochia or something to save the season. And imagine thats on the back of 2 terrible seasons.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:agree: consensus was that we overpaid for Bonucci too and that continued for long after he was signed the digging up old posts is kind of weak
Don't make me dig up your Barza posts, Kyle. :p

The vitriol spewed about him was hilarious. Pretty much no one else we signed for money or for free received the treatment here this guy did. It's pretty strange. And very amusing with how he turned into our most valuable defender of a 5 straight scudetti run.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Don't make me dig up your Barza posts, Kyle. :p

The vitriol spewed about him was hilarious. Pretty much no one else we signed for money or for free received the treatment here this guy did. It's pretty strange. And very amusing with how he turned into our most valuable defender of a 5 straight scudetti run.
I don't care if you do frolic away

and I think you could cut the posters some slack. Those were terribly depressing times to be here and Barzagli was a very underwhelming signing at a time when Quag had just been injured and we needed some inspiration. Remember this was the first season of Marotta, we were promised he would sign "champions" we ended up with Del Neri, Marco Motta and a 7th placed finish.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
i anticipated his success. but that is because i am genius

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
wasn't it 6m in the end?
6.5M, which was just enough to avoid a financial loss on Carlitos and which, since they are broke, we gave back to them right away (3.5M for 2year loan + option to buy for 9.4M of Vadala, 1M each on options to buy for Bentancur - 9.4M, Cristaldo - 8.2M, Cubas - 6.9M. All options active until April 2017.) We can get 4 of their biggest prospects at that time for a combined 34M so that was a pretty good deal for us

PedroFlu

Sep 20, 2011
No one is seeing signs of a possible decline here? Barzagli hasnt been very good since Euros.

Chiellini is also very worrying.

Must keep an eye on those guys and start getting out of the 3 CBs addiction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)