Andrea Barzagli (5 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I know what you mean, it's clear accounting Buck. You're studying Economics?

I know how that works with companies, but I don't think it's the same story with football. Look into Business Law, it gives a different angle for the whole story - where everything is based on type of contract.
Studying is for losers! :D

Nah, I graduated many years ago, not even accounting or finances. But I do come into contact with accounting, reporting, etc on an almost daily basis...

Cheers, Buck.

I guessed that was the sort of thing you were getting at.
No prob.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Dostoevsky

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
  • Thread Starter #64
    Furthermore: we know absolutely nothing about the agreed payment terms (has nothing to do with installments). It could be up front, it could be within 30 days, it could be within 120 days, it could be anything.
    I missed this. Yes, it could be anything and I agree. It can be in our bank account the same day too, we don't know the terms that were agreed while signing him. Accounting sounds really weird when you try to translate it into foreign language and today it's my first time to read something about it on English.

mondo1

May 14, 2006
    i just can hope that i will see him week in week out sitting on the bench...cause that also means giorgio and leo are fit

but i have a feeling that i will see him play against udinese.....

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
    Apr 12, 2009
    Well, Bonucci and Chiello are probably the better players in our squad and Bonucci was a 15M investement and thé future CB of the Azzuri and Chiello is becoming a calcio hero/legend, lets hope the Samp brothers know better :p

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
    May 22, 2009
    Oh I know what you mean, I have done some credit control and know how it works in terms of the payment procedure. That payment is yours, no matter what the payment terms are, how it is structured.

What I don't get is why the Diego deal is classed as payment immediately on execution of the contract (assuming that is indeed spread over installments), yet the Poulsen deal says half is upon execution of the contract and the other half is 2011 'to be paid in two installments'. It's possible that the wording is simply contradictory, but assuming the terminology used is uniform then it suggests that we aren't guaranteed the second sum for Poulsen?
    Sorry Jay, missed this post earlier.

We sold Diego in August, so in our books the deal was done in August, regardless of the payment terms. Our "August budget" & our "2010 budget" (fiscal year, not necessarily the calendar year) will show this as 1 completed entry. And his sale will only impact on 1 fiscal year.

With Poulsen for example, you make 1 entry in August '10 for the agreed amount. You'll make a new one in August '11 (or whatever was agreed) and so on. So that sale will have an effect on multiple fiscal years & budgets.

As a sidenote, I recently heard that a lot of football clubs aren't too strict when it comes to paying transfer fees. Apparently, a lot or parts of them are paid months/years too late. And, for some reason, very little is being done or can be done about that. Just another sign that what you "book" at a certain moment is not necessarily what you have at that moment.

I missed this. Yes, it could be anything and I agree. It can be in our bank account the same day too, we don't know the terms that were agreed while signing him. Accounting sounds really weird when you try to translate it into foreign language and today it's my first time to read something about it on English.
    IN English not on English, you illiterate fool!

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Wolfsburg agreed to pay the entire fee at once. Meaning we sent them 1 invoice (for lack of a better word). When the invoice is made out, most (all afaik) big companies consider the sale to be finalized: you no longer have his contract on your books. On one side the entry is made (negative if you will) of one less player, on the other side (a positive) entry is made for the agreed amount. This does not mean you have received the cash.
    The actual credit collection has very little to do with it. It's obviously very important, but has little to do with strict accounting.

Furthermore: we know absolutely nothing about the agreed payment terms (has nothing to do with installments). It could be up front, it could be within 30 days, it could be within 120 days, it could be anything. Regardless, you'll still book it as one entry, in the current fiscal year.
    Unlike when you agree to pay in three installments: you'll book a part in this fiscal year, a part in the next, and so on.

Simple example: my company sells & invoices a certain amount each month. Let's say it's 1 million€ in January 2011. This entire million will be booked as sales / revenue in January 2011. But this does not mean that we received 1 million€ on our bank account. Realistically speaking, it would mean about 400.000 - 500.000€.
    The rest of those January sales will probably end up on our account in Feb, March, April, ..., but they will have been booked (the sales) in January.

Hope this makes some sense, it's difficult to give a better explanation, especially in a foreign language.
    This is like me and my pipe selling so I get what you're saying. :p

Most of the time, in my country anyway, these kind of things come down to tax deduction which certain sales bring. Don't know how players are handled from an accounting point of view in a football club, but in my company, for example, buying a car registered to the firm will bring a tax relief for tax obligations made from profit of things we actually sell and are registered to sell. Obviously that tax relief will be much larger if the sale is done at once, rather than installments, so maybe that's part of the reason Diego was sold at once. I can imagine Juventus has a shitload of tax to pay monthly, so we basically relieved ourselves some tax obligations with a 15m invoice at once. Wow, really is difficult to explain in a different language so I'll get away from this all, just wanted to act smart. :p

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Sorry Jay, missed this post earlier.

We sold Diego in August, so in our books the deal was done in August, regardless of the payment terms. Our "August budget" & our "2010 budget" (fiscal year, not necessarily the calendar year) will show this as 1 completed entry. And his sale will only impact on 1 fiscal year.

With Poulsen for example, you make 1 entry in August '10 for the agreed amount. You'll make a new one in August '11 (or whatever was agreed) and so on. So that sale will have an effect on multiple fiscal years & budgets.

As a sidenote, I recently heard that a lot of football clubs aren't too strict when it comes to paying transfer fees. Apparently, a lot or parts of them are paid months/years too late. And, for some reason, very little is being done or can be done about that. Just another sign that what you "book" at a certain moment is not necessarily what you have at that moment.
    :tup:

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Look at his smile, it's saying "I can't believe those suckers are falling for me"
    I thought the same thing, especially the second pic with the hands in his pockest and the huge grin. Haters gonna hate, I'm taking these bitches for a ride.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)