an ageing central defence - a problem? (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
cannavaro,thuram,kovac are all over 30.we do have comparitivley younger players on the right back and left back position..but generally.but we DO have any ageing central defence.
i know,the common notion is that a defender is at this peak during hsi late 20's and early 30's,but we CAN be exposed to fast forwards in the CL...
or can we not?

Buy on AliExpress.com

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
looking on the bright side this year we made this problem a little easier we have gladstone, we have balzaretti we kept chiellini and we have zambrotta as 26 years old i say that it aint no problem!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by djleli ] ++
looking on the bright side this year we made this problem a little easier we have gladstone, we have balzaretti we kept chiellini and we have zambrotta as 26 years old i say that it aint no problem!
Plus we have Giannichedda who can play as a defender.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The ageing defense will certainly be a problem in a couple years, if not this year or next. We must find some reasonable and young replacements for these two stalwarts within the next year, and I have a few players in mind. Hopefully Moggi has this base covered.

inferis

Jun 5, 2005
we need a pacey defender... who can catch up with the likes of henry and the rest.... right now, only rambo can do that... and he's not a central defender... thuram surely out of the race. canna is about to lose the speed also... kovac?.. what the hell is this guy doing in juve i dont know... gladstone?.. i hope he's good.

alexrafael

Sep 5, 2005
i don't think our ageing central defence will be a big problem because we have two excellent defensive midfield, at least this season.
i'm very worried about our attacking ability. we are not creative enough to defeat such solid teams as chelsea and fc liverpool.

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
Our defence is world class. All players are very experienced. But they are getting slower with the age.

But look on Milans defence. They have a really old one.

sutnevuJ

Aug 6, 2005
Moggi has the "if it aint broken, dont fix it" mentality when it comes to the team.

So whe the shit hits the fan with the defence he will do something about it. eg a couple of years ago.

As long as he is with us, i wouldnt worry too much about our defence:)

Thats what i think anyway.

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
its a problem but not now, next season am sure we will get a new defender to start next to canna as thuram has many problems in his game last season and injuries this season.

This season we have options, gianni, chiellini both could play at the central defenders.

I think juve depended on more experienced players in defence. For gods sake we won a scudetto depending on ferrara( how old was he 36) , and montero(over 31).

i think were in the safe for now.. the only concern on my part is the reaccuring injuries for thuram.

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Moggi will sign new defenders when the moment requires it. Don't forget he tried replacing Ferrara with 26-year old Legrottaglie. If he didn't turn out to be such a flop we wouldn't even have this problem.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I dont see an immediate problem. They will suffice for most of this season, but come next, we must have a younger defender readdy for the big pressures whether it is preparing the young ones we have now or by buying a player.

The only concern I have is regarding the amount of international matches this year, and with Thuram's return to NTs, it'll be hard for our two aging players to stay fresh throughout the season.

KeNgO

Oct 28, 2002
our defenders are great!

both of our central defenders (canna & thuram) are in peak physical condition.

I believe a player like thuram will still be able to maintain the high level of football he playes for another 3 or 4 years! the guy is fit!

the more experienced they are the better! i am not worried over there! my only concern is our playmaker role!

I love Nedved! but is he getting too old to be the (on pitch) team leader?

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
We've had this problems for years now.There was Montero-Ferrara, now it's Thuram-Canna.Moggi's basically replaced our old defenders with another pair of equally old ones, only with a longer shelf life.

It's a little worrying but Moggi of all people surely knows this.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by sutnevuJ ] ++
Moggi has the "if it aint broken, dont fix it" mentality when it comes to the team.

So whe the shit hits the fan with the defence he will do something about it. eg a couple of years ago.

As long as he is with us, i wouldnt worry too much about our defence:)

Thats what i think anyway.

thats why we didnt pick up nesta or canavaro before

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)