an ageing central defence - a problem? (1 Viewer)

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
I don't believe that there will be catostrophic problems as a result of our ageing central defence this year, however, it certainly is something that should be addressed sooner rather than later. Thuram, Kovac and Cannavaro are still good players but age will begin to take its toll on them at some point in time and it's the management's responsibility to have a couple of good young centre backs ready to step in when our current rearguard are incapable of performing at the highest level anymore. I wonder what the future holds for players such as Gladstone, Criscito and Masiello.

Just to add to that I think the Serie A grants defenders a longer life than their counterparts in Spain and England get to enjoy. I dont know if I can say that necessarily filters into the Champions League, but on some level they are good enough to cope in the face of cosmopolitan competition, given that the drills they go through are still on par with the world's best.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
Mexes came to Italian football as a sought-after excellent young central defender good enough to play as the tower for any of the big teams.
What does Mexes has probed in is first year in Serie A ?? nothing absolutly, apart from being a regular in one of the most screwed defenses in Italia.
Check the numer of goals received by Roma last year with Mexes in the pitch.

In some ways he remembers me Legro.......

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
the difference is that Legro was a succes at Chievo and his downfall began at juve. Point is, he had proved himself in serie a, but not in a big team. Mexes played ok, he´s just a part of a shiat defense

djleli

Aug 12, 2004
palermo will not let their starlets go... ipredict tthat palermo will become a big force in 2-5 years time and it would be competing for the top 3 places

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
Moggi pulled Gladstone out of his bum and this player acutally stayed in teh squad..that is rare for a young defender to do that at juve. normally they would be loaned.

If, and yes, its a big IF, this player can be decent and learn from Thuram and Cannavaro when given the chance to play with one of them, then i think the team future will be ok. Apart from Milan, no other big team in europe really has world class back up for central defence.

Kovac is decent enough for bench and Gladstone is a question mark.

The Kompany rumor suddenly becomes more important now.

A good season for Gladstone and Kompany joining could do the world of good for the club.

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
exactly Don...always talking bout young talents: let´s see if ge can step up to the plate. He was in u-20 NT so he has already proved himself in the Brazilian league.

PS: Barzagli is awesome:D

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
He had some awesome games at torino and at a point he was wanted by lots of teams, says he chose juve to stay in the city... dumb me I though he liked the shirt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)