American NFL Football (40 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Oh fuck this I'm going back to bed. What the fuck is this

- - - Updated - - -

I woke up from a good sleep for this. Fuck me sideways. Seriously. The last thing they need is a fucking safety. I can't believe Marquise Lee is still sitting there. And now I can't go back to sleep I'm so mad

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
interesting that the 9ers passed om M. Lee, who for me was a top 3 WR in the draft along with Watkins and Evans. I like Ward A LOT as a player but not sure where he fits with the 9ers. Slot corner? Partnering up with Reid at FS (Reid going to SS) down the road? Or maybe Reid's string of concussions last year got the 9ers worried and they got a player who can back him up while at the same time play in the slot too. Ward is not a sexy pick but still a very solid one.

Similarly for the Cards picking Deone Bucannon - I liked him better at S than Pryor or Clinton-Dix, tbh. Might seem a bit of a reach, no-boner-causing pick but I think trading down and still getting a S like Bucannon was a gem of a move by the Cards.

Ja'Wan James (Dolphins) and Marcus Smith (Philly) are imo the two big reaches in the 1st. Not shocked the Dolphins made that pick as it's right up their alley. Very surprised by the M. SMith pick though - Chip knows his stuff and most likely he knows what he's doing by going with this guy this early. I personally had him as a 3rd rounder.

Easley to the Pats at 29 is what will likely turn out to be a cluster-fuck of a pick. Like the player, hate his red flags and circumstances - he is an ACL injury away from potentially seeing his career cut short. Absolutely dejected and dumbfounded tbh. Just when you expect them to trade out of the 1st, they actually go ahead and finally pick in the 1st and then this shit ... with so many other really good players at positions of need still on board. FUCK. :(

P.S. Loved the Johnny $$ gesture :D ... good pick by the Browns, imo, bad fit for him 'cause that Cleveland joke of a franchise is where QB careers go to die.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
ßöмßäяðîëя;4540891 said:
Manziel to QB black hole.

Like 5 QBs taken by Cleveland in the past 8 or 10 years, how many of them do you remember?

Brady Quinn?

Who was that guy from Kentucky they took 1 overall? Couch?

- - - Updated - - -

Was it Tim Couch?
Yep it was Couch

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
for M. Lee, the 9ers would have to move up above the Browns, Raiders, Jags in the 2nd, imo. He's likely the next WR off the board and those are 3 teams very likely to go WR in early 2nd. Not impossible but would have to put both of those 2nd round picks, and potentially something extra too, into one come-hither, honey-pot, peach of a package deal. Redskins may be a willing trading partner there.

Problem could be that the 9ers also need at least one starter-level CB and if they really like a particular player, it wouldn't be a good idea to leave him wait till the 3rd round. Guess you could trade back into the 2nd if you really like a CB there.
Once the top WR were off the board I thought the 9ers would try trading up for someone like Dennard or Robi; they didn't so probably they liked better a CB or two they thought would be available in the 2-3 round range (P. Gaines, McGill, Aikens, Desir).

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
for M. Lee, the 9ers would have to move up above the Browns, Raiders, Jags in the 2nd, imo. He's likely the next WR off the board and those are 3 teams very likely to go WR in early 2nd. Not impossible but would have to put both of those 2nd round picks, and potentially something extra too, into one come-hither, honey-pot, peach of a package deal. Redskins may be a willing trading partner there.

Problem could be that the 9ers also need at least one starter-level CB and if they really like a particular player, it wouldn't be a good idea to leave him wait till the 3rd round. Guess you could trade back into the 2nd if you really like a CB there.
Once the top WR were off the board I thought the 9ers would try trading up for someone like Dennard or Robi; they didn't so probably they liked better a CB or two they thought would be available in the 2-3 round range (P. Gaines, McGill, Aikens, Desir).
What pisses me off s that it didn't have to be like this. I understand they like Ward, and he's a good athlete. But, he's an undersized strong safety that they are now trying to convert to a nickel corner. This problem is two-fold. Firstly, the 49ers don't have the time to try and convert a player to a different position, especially a position where they need as many polished players coming out of college as possible. He has very limited experience as a nickel corner. Secondly, the guy is injured. Yes, he's injured. He has a stress fracture, and won't be able to do anything until training camp. This sets the clock back even further

The 49ers could have easily drafted Lee in the first round, and picked up any of the aforementioned CB's that you are speaking of with one or both of their 2nd round picks, and no one would have said anything. It would have made perfect sense.

They reached here. They reached more than the Patriots did with Easley, because at least with Easley, his only concern were his injuries. He always had first round talent, just like Carradine and Lattimore last year, but it was injuries that prevented them from being drafted higher than they should have.

Ward, on the other hand, starting moving up the draft board because of his Pro Day.

This really pisses me off. Marquise Lee would have been a Top 10 pick last year if he were able to come out, and the only reason why he slipped is because he had injury issues. This kid was THE BEST college WR as a Sophomore, and it wasn't even close.

Crabtree, Boldin, Lee, Davis, Gore, Kaepernick. My God, what could've been.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
What pisses me off s that it didn't have to be like this. I understand they like Ward, and he's a good athlete. But, he's an undersized strong safety that they are now trying to convert to a nickel corner. This problem is two-fold. Firstly, the 49ers don't have the time to try and convert a player to a different position, especially a position where they need as many polished players coming out of college as possible. He has very limited experience as a nickel corner. Secondly, the guy is injured. Yes, he's injured. He has a stress fracture, and won't be able to do anything until training camp. This sets the clock back even further

The 49ers could have easily drafted Lee in the first round, and picked up any of the aforementioned CB's that you are speaking of with one or both of their 2nd round picks, and no one would have said anything. It would have made perfect sense.

They reached here. They reached more than the Patriots did with Easley, because at least with Easley, his only concern were his injuries. He always had first round talent, just like Carradine and Lattimore last year, but it was injuries that prevented them from being drafted higher than they should have.

Ward, on the other hand, starting moving up the draft board because of his Pro Day.

This really pisses me off. Marquise Lee would have been a Top 10 pick last year if he were able to come out, and the only reason why he slipped is because he had injury issues. This kid was THE BEST college WR as a Sophomore, and it wasn't even close.

Crabtree, Boldin, Lee, Davis, Gore, Kaepernick. My God, what could've been.
I feel you, Serge. For me Lee is one of the most NFL-ready players, and WR is a tough role to adjust to, this year. Ideally, 9ers would have taken him in the 1st and traded up in the 2nd for Ward - that 2nd rounder from KC and your own 3rd/4th would have done the job - if they liked him so much.
You shouldn't underestimate Ward though as a player - the guy is a baller, very much a not-so-poor man's Earl Thomas. And he is a FS, especially at the pros, not a SS ... just liked to throw himself around a bit too much in college. Even then he needs to pack on another 10 lbs or so of muscle. But the talent and character are there, as well as the smarts, instincts and measureables (I know , not a word :p). I would really keep an eye on the situation with Reid's concussions due to this Ward pick though - there may be something there that makes FS a hidden need, all of a sudden.
But yeah, the optimal scenario for the 9ers would have been Lee in late 1st and trade up for Ward in the 2nd - should have been available at that 45th, give or take spot. That trade would have been easier to pull off and also there was Terrance Brooks falling into the 2nd to provide a fall-back alternative. You still got yourselves a baller though, albeit underrated as a prospect due to level of competition. In the end it's about how much they liked Ward and obviously they thought very highly of him.

As for Easley, I agree the guy has talent at levels the Pats rarey get to taste picking in late 1st year in year out. I like the player, but hate the value at that 29th spot - just too big a risk for my taste with those multiple ACLs in a 2-year period and ankle injuries on top of that too. Anyways, rumor has it the Pats had intel that the Seahawks were ready to take him at 32 (the U of Florida connection there with Dan Quinn) and that made them take him at 29. Would have to learn to love the pick for lack of other options here, I guess :p

- - - Updated - - -
@King of Kings

for what's worth, a guy who supposedly is "hearing" rumors says that the 49ers are high on Clemson's CB Bashaud Breeland in the 2nd. He's an editor on a Pats site and had been saying, according to his sources, the Pats wanted Easley in the 1st for more than a month before the draft, so maybe he ain't completely full of it :p

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@acmilan

Whoa. What is this I'm hearing?

Stevie Johnson to the 49ers for a 2015 4th round pick?
well, it's done now, not just rumors in your head :D

good pick up by the 9ers; still not the deep threat you guys needed but a savvy, veteran route runner. Guess you can say goodbye to M. Lee now and the Browns will likely pounce on him anyway due to those Josh Gordon news they got today ... speaking of stupid, look up your lover-boy Josh :D ... guess the 9ers were right not to trade for him, after all ;)

- - - Updated - - -

guess the cowboys just replaced one Demarcus with another. Too bad, really liked that D. Lawrence fella.

- - - Updated - - -

ßöмßäяðîëя;4541403 said:
So what did you guys just talk about?

I only read posts ~5 lines long or less.
afraid you gonna have to make the extra effort this time around :)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Very good haul by the 9ers with those two picks - Hyde and Martin is a pretty good way to build depth for the future.

Still scratching my head with BB this year ... Garappolo would make a lot of sense if there is a Mallett trade in the works, otherwise, it's a no-brainer of a pick, literally.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Very good haul by the 9ers with those two picks - Hyde and Martin is a pretty good way to build depth for the future.

Still scratching my head with BB this year ... Garappolo would make a lot of sense if there is a Mallett trade in the works, otherwise, it's a no-brainer of a pick, literally.
I love Garappolo. Absolutely love him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)