American NFL Football (8 Viewers)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Interesting that we didn't go for a corner with that pick.
3 more picks to go in this round, and I think @acmilan might be right that the niners might go for that CB from CLemson. Although Desir is still on the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Borland. Fun player to watch. Too short, too slow, but always seems to be the first guy to the ball. Old School MLB

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for my favorite hip hop group De La Soul, P.A. Mase's little boy is a Ram

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
3 more picks to go in this round, and I think @acmilan might be right that the niners might go for that CB from CLemson. Although Desir is still on the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Chris Borland. Fun player to watch. Too short, too slow, but always seems to be the first guy to the ball. Old School MLB

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and for my favorite hip hop group De La Soul, P.A. Mase's little boy is a Ram
Would have been good to get Plug 3's boy for the novelty :D

- - - Updated - - -

The solitary ACL pick, seems a good choice though.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I love Garappolo. Absolutely love him.
nothing against Jimmy G. as a player - one of the more underrated QB prospects this year - just not loving the pick/value there in terms of improving the team's immediate needs and they do have quite a few of those. As of right now, it doesn't look Mallett is being traded to the Texans and if they end up doing so, it would be for 2015 picks most likely. That means Jimmy G would be the 3rd QB on the roster this year. On top of that, Easley looks more likely to end up having an IR rookie year than turning out to be this year's Sheldon Richardson, so not much hope for immediate contribution from him on D. Both picks so far look more like investment for the future.

So far this draft has been a total disaster for the Pats when it comes to improving the team for the coming 2014 season and it's not likely they are gonna find any pro-bowl worthy rookies in the 4-7th round range either. It's a deep draft but no draft is that deep. Kind of makes you wonder why they even bothered bringing in Revis in the first place, considering the 2014 roster is just as needy today as it was before the draft.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

you guys should be fine CB-wise. Only 3 CBs - Jean-Baptiste, McDougle and P. Gaines - got picked in all of the 2nd and 3rd rounds, which I thought was pretty shocking ... and McDougle I didn't even have as an early round prospect, more of a 5/6th rounder tbh. It was mostly OL, DL, TEs and RBs coming off the board there so most of the best CBs outside of the top 5-6 players, who came off in the 1st rd, are still up for the picking. Desir, Breeland, McGill, Aikens, Watkins, EJ Ganes to name a few.

SAF has been a popular position early in a year in which the SAF class isn't the strongest. Most of the good prospects got picked off as early as the 1st round and have to say there aren't many SAFs worth talking about left on the board going into the 4th rd. Similarly with TE only those guy got picked off in the 2-3 rd range.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are the sliders? Any good options?
most CBs outside of the top 5-6 players this year have slid into the 4th round.

OG David Yankey is sliding and he has a stanford connection there.

at RB K. Carey and L. Seastrunk are still on when they probably shouldn't be.

at WR Abbrederis and M. Bryant would be good value that's fallen into the 4th rd.

A surprising slider at DT, besides Nix (finally went to the Texans in mid 3rd) is Penn State's DaQuan Jones. He can play a NT, a DE in a 3-4 D, as well as a DT in a 4-3. Not sure why he is still on there, maybe some medical red flags like Jesse Williams last year. Lots of inferior, imo, players at Dt have been picked off by now and he is still waiting.

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
Yeah just watched it then, big hit. Looks and sounds like a hard worker. It seems like another successful draft. How good do you think Stevie will be? Is there any more word on Aldon?

- - - Updated - - -

I know we picked up the option but anything in regards to the suspension?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Yeah just watched it then, big hit. Looks and sounds like a hard worker. It seems like another successful draft. How good do you think Stevie will be? Is there any more word on Aldon?

- - - Updated - - -

I know we picked up the option but anything in regards to the suspension?
Well, from what I've read and seen, it seems that everyone seems to think that the 49ers have aced this draft. I was very skittish after that first pick, but in my opinion, every pick they have made after that has been a home run. Brandon Thomas gets a year off to rehab, and he was probably the best guard ion this draft, and might be able to step in if/when Iupati leaves next year in free agency. I especially love the Marcus Martin pick, and not because I'm a USC guy. This kid is just 20 years old and was a three year starter on the offensive line. I thought that he was the best center in the draft, and the 49ers actually needed one. He has a chance to be the opening day starter at the age of 20, which would be insane.

I haven't read anything new on Aldon Smith to be honest, but I've got to tell you, I'm at the end of my rope with him. I have not heard anything but there is no way that he doesn't get suspended. Thank goodness they drafted Lemonier last year, and Tank Carradine is like a rookie this year for the 49ers. He was a Top 15 talent if not for his knee injury last year.

Stevie Johnson will be a great slot receiver for them. Although they don't have that one WR that can lift the lid off of a defense (Maybe they pick someone up in the 4th, although I really wanted Lattimer from Indiana), if you are a defense and you are looking across the field and you see a 3 WR set of Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, along with Gore and Vernon Davis, with such a mobile QB in Kaepernick, you get a little worried. To get Johnson for a 4th round pick was great value. From what I am hearing up here in Patriots territory, they offered a 3rd round pick to Buffalo for Johnson, but the Bills did not want to trade with them.

Can I give you the name of a player that I would be pleasantly surprised if they drafted?

Tom Savage.

@acmilan I think I might be the only person in a 50 mile radius in the Boston area who loves what the Patriots have done in this draft, and I don't mean that in a condescending way.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@acmilan I think I might be the only person in a 50 mile radius in the Boston area who loves what the Patriots have done in this draft, and I don't mean that in a condescending way.
might? I am sure you are :p

it's not the players and not even so much with what picks they got them but the circumstances. Brady is getting up there in the age department, his window is closing, for all we know he has 2 years of top QB play left in him. These picks speak long-term planning and that's just not where the Pats are right now ... it just doesn't fit the message they sent by signing Revis to a 1 year, multi-dough deal.
Easley is a talent that would usually go way earlier than where the Pats would be picking. Even if you convince yourself he won't get injured again and will be back to his best from those ACls, best thing for him and the Pats would be to IR him for the 2014 season (like you did with Tank C). That means no to, best case, very limited production from your 29th pick this year.
Garappolo is obviously a talented player, would say the smartest Qb in the draft. But he is not gonna do anything but ride the bench behind Tommy for some years and maybe, just maybe becomes his successor. Also what worries me about JG is his hand size and arm length. He doesn't have that velocity and spiral so precious in the elements up there in NE. E.G look at how Brees was in that game at Seattle last year in play-offs - he couldn't make a throw in the rain in that game for the entire 1st half, while Wilson with his unnaturally big hands for such a small guy had no such troubles. And that was just rain, not freezing rain, ice and snow like what you are likely to face in NE or other places in December and later. So, I have my reservations about JG even as a long-term successor for Brady and they have little to do with his abilities but rather physical attributes.
Chance are however he is just Brady's next back-up ... can't justify a 2nd rounder on him at a time when building the roster around Brady for the next 2-3 years or so seems to be the tune of the day in NE.

In short, if Brady was still 30 yo, I could well be practicing my dancing moves right about now. Problem is he isn't young any more and every next season could turn out to be his last.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
might? I am sure you are :p

it's not the players and not even so much with what picks they got them but the circumstances. Brady is getting up there in the age department, his window is closing, for all we know he has 2 years of top QB play left in him. These picks speak long-term planning and that's just not where the Pats are right now ... it just doesn't fit the message they sent by signing Revis to a 1 year, multi-dough deal.
Easley is a talent that would usually go way earlier than where the Pats would be picking. Even if you convince yourself he won't get injured again and will be back to his best from those ACls, best thing for him and the Pats would be to IR him for the 2014 season (like you did with Tank C). That means no to, best case, very limited production from your 29th pick this year.
Garappolo is obviously a talented player, would say the smartest Qb in the draft. But he is not gonna do anything but ride the bench behind Tommy for some years and maybe, just maybe becomes his successor. Also what worries me about JG is his hand size and arm length. He doesn't have that velocity and spiral so precious in the elements up there in NE. E.G look at how Brees was in that game at Seattle last year in play-offs - he couldn't make a throw in the rain in that game for the entire 1st half, while Wilson with his unnaturally big hands for such a small guy had no such troubles. And that was just rain, not freezing rain, ice and snow like what you are likely to face in NE or other places in December and later. So, I have my reservations about JG even as a long-term successor for Brady and they have little to do with his abilities but rather physical attributes.
Chance are however he is just Brady's next back-up ... can't justify a 2nd rounder on him at a time when building the roster around Brady for the next 2-3 years or so seems to be the tune of the day in NE.

In short, if Brady was still 30 yo, I could well be practicing my dancing moves right about now. Problem is he isn't young any more and every next season could turn out to be his last.
I see what you're saying, but I think that BB took a look at his value chart, and saw Garropolo there and felt he was too good to pass up. If you think about it, the elite edge rushers were gone by that time, as well as the top safeties on the board, 2 areas of need for the Patriots this year. The top tight ends were off the board at that point as well. I was certain that Stefarian-Jenkins would have been there at 62, and that is who the Patriots would have drafted. Do you stray off of your charts to jump and grab a player of need? It's great if you can accomplish both with your picks, but Garropolo should have never been there at the 62nd pick to begin with. Besides, they have plenty of picks in the 4th round where they could fill some holes.

- - - Updated - - -
@acmilan In your honest opinion, what do you think of what the 49ers have done so far?

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
I see what you're saying, but I think that BB took a look at his value chart, and saw Garropolo there and felt he was too good to pass up. If you think about it, the elite edge rushers were gone by that time, as well as the top safeties on the board, 2 areas of need for the Patriots this year. The top tight ends were off the board at that point as well. I was certain that Stefarian-Jenkins would have been there at 62, and that is who the Patriots would have drafted. Do you stray off of your charts to jump and grab a player of need? It's great if you can accomplish both with your picks, but Garropolo should have never been there at the 62nd pick to begin with. Besides, they have plenty of picks in the 4th round where they could fill some holes.

- - - Updated - - -
@acmilan In your honest opinion, what do you think of what the 49ers have done so far?
in the end of the day I can only hypothesize what grade they had on certain players but based on their picks, I guess the plain and simple explanation is we don't agree on those grades. Not sure how true, but rumors suggest that the Pats were really high on Easley and he was the best player on their board all along and passed on trading out of the 1st (or picking other top talent there) for him. As mentioned, it's his red flags that make me grade him as a very risky pick and not lack of talent. Same with Garappolo - I guess we just don't agree on the grade they had for him which implied he was a priority pick; again, not due to lack of talent but circumstances outside of that.
Ideally, I'd have seen them trade out of the 1st and create additional picks in the 2/3 round range or whatever. Teh reality is that I can only hypothesize what they offers they may or may not have had. What I do know for sure is that they took a huge risk with their top pick and aren't getting any contribution whatsoever from the top 3 rounds. In a draft like this one, I think there would have ultimately been enough players highly graded by the Pats to maximize the value out of those 1-3 round range picks, with or without trading out of the 1st.

Now they are facing a situation where the only way to improve the roster for the 2014 season thru the draft would be those 4-7 rd range, where picks are more likely to be a miss than a hit and even if a player does turn out to be something, he'd usually require more time to develop. Either way, the chances of hitting on a immediate contributor there aren't too good, say the least. Special teams and depth they'd not want to test is what they realistically should hope to find there.
In short, coming out of what is touted as the best and deepest draft class in recent memory, the Pats would not have raised the ceiling of quality of their roster one bit for the 2014 season, and quite possibly beyond too given Easley's injury history and JG's role likely limited to just being a back-up.

Anyways, no point really crying over spilled milk now. On to the 49ers - I think they are doing a great job and have improved their depth and ensured their future at some key positions. Outside of the B. Thomas pick, which was obviously made with next year in mind, they have added players that were some of the best at their respective positions, who'd contribute immediately and likely to become starters in a year or two and M. Martin's case, as soon as the 2014 season. Borland is the only player who I don't see as a long-term starter among these picks but think he was drafted with the idea of providing solid depth at LB and ST even after Bowman returns.
I'd have been generally concerned with the lack of a pick at CB, considering that was the biggest weakness of the roster going into the draft but the 9ers are in good position there too. After the top CB crop was gone in the 1st, most of the next wave of Cbs have fallen to the 3rd day anyway. So, not getting a CB so far but focusing on other positions has worked out very well for you considering most of your targets at Cb outside the 1st round are still on the board.
Adding Stevie Johnson in FA made up for missing out on one of the real playmakers at WR in the 1st round, at least to an extent.

So, all in all, if I were a 9ers fan I would be very happy with this haul - you guys have already improved upon what was a very solid roster anyway, will likely build onto it today in drafting a CB or two. On top of that, you have a player like Tank C to look forward to adding to the roster form last year. Same could be said for RB Lattimer but with his injury history, I'd tread lightly there for the foreseeable future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)