American NFL Football (82 Viewers)

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
Wait. What the fuck did I just miss? Again?

Oh my god, Jimmy Garoppolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone knows how much I love Jimmy Garoppolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats, you and Shanahan are getting your guy, finally :p

9ers are quite possibly getting a top-10 QB in the NFL for next to nothing considering the importance of the position. Should be a great fit for the system KS is running and he made a overrated QB like Ryan look amazing last year.

Pats kept Jimmy G for as long as possible, allowing them to evaluate how Brady would perform this year. I guess it's fair to say their feel confident he could play for at least another 3 years and it would have been virtually impossible to hold onto Jimmy G (via contract or franchise tag) without crippling the team around Tommy.
And one also had to consider how JG would feel about sitting on the bench behind Brady going forward - I doubt he was a fan of doing so for another year or two.

Sad to see Jimmy go but in the cap era, but guess there is only so much a team in the Pats situation could do.

- - - Updated - - -

Duane Brown to the Seahawks. Now we need a left tackle.
OL should be one of the strengths of this coming draft class.

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely, perfect.

I wonder when he will take over from beathard, perhaps after the bye?

We need to get some o lineman in the next draft
I guess that Beathard pick did serve its purpose ...

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I think the Beatherd pick will still serve its purpose. I think that they had him projected as a backup. Which is fine by me now.

For obvious reasons :D

That's my quarterback :touched:

- - - Updated - - -

Saquon Barkley?

Anyone?

#2 pick?

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Dolphins are having a fire sale.

Everything must go.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn't even know what a Saquon Barkley was until I mentioned him. Admit it.
@Bjerknes get him to San Francisco. ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

The Eagles need to get someone to protect Wentz's blindside.

Joe Staley would have been an option but you fuckers decided to injure him :lol: @ALC

- - - Updated - - -

A trade deadline where trades are actually happening. This must be opposite day

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
@acmilan

I was listening to BB's press conference. Those words were the words of a man who did not want to make this trade.

The most telling parts of the press conference were when he said that A) He felt that he had the best QB situation in the NFL for the past 2 1/2 years and B) He would have weekly one on one meetings with him.

I've never heard of an NFL head coach who had weekly meetings with their backup QB. You can tell he loves this kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Reports are that the Cleveland coaches are livid that they didn't get Jimmy G.

This leads me to believe that BB purposely sent him to San Francisco because they feel that he will be good, and they won't have to face him except for once every 4 years or if they meet in the Super Bowl

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
@acmilan

I was listening to BB's press conference. Those words were the words of a man who did not want to make this trade.

The most telling parts of the press conference were when he said that A) He felt that he had the best QB situation in the NFL for the past 2 1/2 years and B) He would have weekly one on one meetings with him.

I've never heard of an NFL head coach who had weekly meetings with their backup QB. You can tell he loves this kid.

- - - Updated - - -

Reports are that the Cleveland coaches are livid that they didn't get Jimmy G.

This leads me to believe that BB purposely sent him to San Francisco because they feel that he will be good, and they won't have to face him except for once every 4 years or if they meet in the Super Bowl
In an ideal world, Pats would have loved keeping Jimmy, no doubt about that. In the salary cap era, however, that would have crippled the team and Jimmy himself was itching to start, while Brady isn't showing signs of slowing down yet. Indeed an unsustainable situation, as BB put it. As he said, they tried till the trade deadline to find a way to keep him but that was always an uphill battle.

Cleveland should be livid. They should also be livid for missing out on Wentz and Watson in two consecutive drafts.

I am sure Pats always preferred to move Jimmy to the NFC, if it came to parting ways with him, but I doubt that was much of a consideration when it came to Cleveland of all teams - that is just one shit-hole of a franchise that is just plain unfixable.

Seems to me they wanted to do right by Jimmy more than anything else and send him to a team that would give him a shot at reaching his potential - BB hinted as much and said they actually spoke to Jimmy about the 9ers as a trade option and finalized the trade only after they had spoken to him. That's something they rarely do as they rarely let go of players they would have rather kept. (Collins was shipped unceremoniously to Cleveland last year when the Pats wanted to make a point)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
In an ideal world, Pats would have loved keeping Jimmy, no doubt about that. In the salary cap era, however, that would have crippled the team and Jimmy himself was itching to start, while Brady isn't showing signs of slowing down yet. Indeed an unsustainable situation, as BB put it. As he said, they tried till the trade deadline to find a way to keep him but that was always an uphill battle.

Cleveland should be livid. They should also be livid for missing out on Wentz and Watson in two consecutive drafts.

I am sure Pats always preferred to move Jimmy to the NFC, if it came to parting ways with him, but I doubt that was much of a consideration when it came to Cleveland of all teams - that is just one shit-hole of a franchise that is just plain unfixable.

Seems to me they wanted to do right by Jimmy more than anything else and send him to a team that would give him a shot at reaching his potential - BB hinted as much and said they actually spoke to Jimmy about the 9ers as a trade option and finalized the trade only after they had spoken to him. That's something they rarely do as they rarely get rid of players they would have rather kept. (Collins was shipped unceremoniously to Cleveland last year when the Pats wanted to make a point)
And all these points that you are making are very similar to the ones that I have had to make to my non-patriots friends about this deal. They feel, and even one of my fellow 49ers fans feel that bill pulled one over on us, and they bring up Cassel and Mallett.

To which I tell them: Cassel was sent to Kansas City. Mallett was sent to Houston. These were direct rivals of the Patriots. If they really felt that either one of these two would be a threat to them, would they have sent them there? Of course they wouldn't have. It is being said on talk radio that one of the other reasons they moved him to the NFC, and to the NFC west, was they felt that jimmy could be a really good QB, and they wouldn't have to face him but once every 4 years or the Super Bowl.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
And all these points that you are making are very similar to the ones that I have had to make to my non-patriots friends about this deal. They feel, and even one of my fellow 49ers fans feel that bill pulled one over on us, and they bring up Cassel and Mallett.

To which I tell them: Cassel was sent to Kansas City. Mallett was sent to Houston. These were direct rivals of the Patriots. If they really felt that either one of these two would be a threat to them, would they have sent them there? Of course they wouldn't have. It is being said on talk radio that one of the other reasons they moved him to the NFC, and to the NFC west, was they felt that jimmy could be a really good QB, and they wouldn't have to face him but once every 4 years or the Super Bowl.
In general, Pats would have always rather traded Jimmy to the NFC. This being said, there was also the element of 'value' they may or may not have been offered by any AFC teams. For example, had the Browns offered multiple 1st round picks, I doubt he will be with the 9ers now. Chance are, if they had competing offers, none was egregiously better than that of the 9ers. So, when the offers are close enough, of course the Pats would rather see him off to the NFC than the AFC.
There are. of course, AFC teams with which I doubt the Pats would even consider a trade like this, at any price - e.g. Denver, Pittsburgh (with Big Ben semi-retired), Houston (before they got Watson). These are teams that with a potential franchise QB like Jimmy, could well become SB contenders for years to come.

When it comes to the history of Patriots back-up QBs failing elsewhere, people often point to the Patriots system and other such BS. In general, teams that need a QB suck, have under-manned rosters, and there will always be a big step down in coaching when leaving New England for just about any other team in the NFL.
So, of course if you took a decent but not great QB (eg Cassell) away from a top team like the Pats and put him on one of those likely inferior teams, he isn't gonna light the world on fire.

This being said, neither Hoyer, nor Mallett nor even Cassell (made the pro-bowl in his first year at KC) are in Jimmy's range, talent-wise. Aside from mallett, who I always thought was a huge miscalculation by the Pats as he didn't fit their offense, all other Brady back-ups were late-round picks or UDFAs.
Basically the idea was to pick up an average Joe, coach him up to be just decent to back up a HOF QB still in his late 20s or early 30s and that was it. They always knew with those guys that they were good enough to replace Brady for a game or two, if needed, but not much else beyond that.

The Garoppolo pick was different - they spent a 2nd round pick on him, in a very talented draft class, at a time when Brady was soon to become 37 yo. When they were making that pick, they did it with the idea that Jimmy was gonna be groomed to be Brady's eventual replacement and face of the franchise. No one could imagine, let alone realistically project back in 2014 that 3-4 years later, Brady would still be playing at this level at 40 yo.
In short, Garoppolo is on a completely different talent level compared to any previous Brady back-up and most importantly, the Pats had a very different plan for him when they drafted him in 2014 and it wasn't for him to be just "decent enough" for a game or two.

With Shanahan he will be in a system that fits him perfectly. As long as they build-up the talent around Jimmy to a respectable level, I would be shocked if he isn't widely regarded as at least a top-10 QB in 2-3 years from now.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
In general, Pats would have always rather traded Jimmy to the NFC. This being said, there was also the element of 'value' they may or may not have been offered by any AFC teams. For example, had the Browns offered multiple 1st round picks, I doubt he will be with the 9ers now. Chance are, if they had competing offers, none was egregiously better than that of the 9ers. So, when the offers are close enough, of course the Pats would rather see him off to the NFC than the AFC.
There are. of course, AFC teams with which I doubt the Pats would even consider a trade like this, at any price - e.g. Denver, Pittsburgh (with Big Ben semi-retired), Houston (before they got Watson). These are teams that with a potential franchise QB like Jimmy, could well become SB contenders for years to come.

When it comes to the history of Patriots back-up QBs failing elsewhere, people often point to the Patriots system and other such BS. In general, teams that need a QB suck and there will always be a big step down in coaching when leaving New England for just about any other team in the NFL.
This being said, neither Hoyer, nor Mallett nor even Cassell (made the pro-bowl in his first year at KC) are in Jimmy's range, talent-wise. Aside from mallett, who I always thought was a huge miscalculation by the Pats as he didn't fit their offense, all other Brady back-ups were late-round picks or UDFAs.
Basically the idea was to pick up an average Joe, coach him up to be just decent to back up a HOF QB still in his late 20s or early 30s and that was it. They always knew with those guys that they were good enough to replace Brady for a game or two, if needed, but not much else beyond that.

The Garoppolo pick was different - they spent a 2nd round pick on him, in a very talented draft class, at a time when Brady was soon to become 37 yo. When they were making that pick, they did it with the idea that Jimmy was gonna be groomed to be Brady's eventual replacement and face of the franchise. No one could imagine, let alone realistically project back in 2014 that 3-4 years later, Brady would still be playing at this level at 40 yo.
In short, Garoppolo is on a completely different talent level compared to any previous Brady back-up and most importantly, the Pats had a very different plan for him when they drafted him in 2014 and it wasn't for him to be just "decent enough".
With Shanahan he will be in a system that fits him perfectly. As long as they build-up the talent around Jimmy to a respectable level, I would be shocked if he isn't widely regarded as at least a top-10 QB in 2-3 years from now.
Do you mind if I copy and paste this when this whole argument with my friends comes up again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 80)