American College Football (15 Viewers)

Jul 10, 2006
eh, I said before that mid-major probably wasn't the best term to use for WVU, but I couldn't come up with anything better. I don't see what's so offensive about it anyways, it's somewhat true. They are a solid program who from time to time will win an easy conference. But they'll never be a continuous national power like USC / UF / OSU / OU / Texas, etc.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
eh, I said before that mid-major probably wasn't the best term to use for WVU, but I couldn't come up with anything better. I don't see what's so offensive about it anyways, it's somewhat true. They are a solid program who from time to time will win an easy conference. But they'll never be a continuous national power like USC / UF / OSU / OU / Texas, etc.
Everything goes in cycles. USC for instance in the mid to late 90's were a joke (I know this firsthand) , as were Oklahoma before Bob Stoops got there. Texas couldn't do much of anything before Mack Brown got there.

Jul 10, 2006
With the amounts of money involved these days it's going to be much more rare to see power programs stay down for long. I really doubt USC will go through a drought like they did in the 90's ever again. There is just too much dough at stake.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
By your definition Penn State of the late 90s was mid-major.

Mid-major is MAC, C-USA, WAC, Mountain West, etc. Big East is the smallest of the power conferences. Some years it has more quality than the ACC or the Big Ten.

Yes I realize that WVU isn't an elite football program like USC, OK, UT, Florida, or Ohio State. But at the same time neither are 3/4s of the teams in those respective conferences.

To use the word "mid-major" as our friend here did suggests that every team, except the elite team in each conference is a mid-major team. That's pretty much incorrect. The last time I checked UAB and Michigan State weren't exactly on the same level.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
With the amounts of money involved these days it's going to be much more rare to see power programs stay down for long. I really doubt USC will go through a drought like they did in the 90's ever again. There is just too much dough at stake.
money has always been the primary player in all of this.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
By your definition Penn State of the late 90s was mid-major.

Mid-major is MAC, C-USA, WAC, Mountain West, etc. Big East is the smallest of the power conferences. Some years it has more quality than the ACC or the Big Ten.

Yes I realize that WVU isn't an elite football program like USC, OK, UT, Florida, or Ohio State. But at the same time neither are 3/4s of the teams in those respective conferences.

To use the word "mid-major" as our friend here did suggests that every team, except the elite team in each conference is a mid-major team. That's pretty much incorrect. The last time I checked UAB and Michigan State weren't exactly on the same level.
So conferences like the Mountain West are actually defined as "mid-major"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)