American College Football (71 Viewers)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
They need offensive line help. the right side of the line with Cherelius (sp), is fine, but they can't make him into a Left Tackle.

Either Oher or Andre Smith would be great for them. Games are won at the line of scrimmage. Its not the sexiest pick, but it makes the most sense. Backus would be best suited, I think, moving into a Guard position
That's true, our offensive line is complete shit, so we should allocate one of the top picks for that slot. But we still need a good QB for the long run. It's not like we can trade or attract anybody, so we have to get them out of college.

I don't know, maybe Stafford. Dan Lefevour from CMU is good too but he has another year left. He's like a Ben Roethlisberger type but can run.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Don't you have the kid from Michigan State from a couple of years ago as a QB??

I wouldn't waste my time on Stafford unless Detroit really does something to bolster their Offensive Line in free agency. Which means that because of their situation, they would have to offer a lot more money to attract free agents. this isn't a similar situation like Miami of last year, where at least they have Parcells in the front office.

If they have to overspend to attract these guys, then you're facing salary cap hell in a couple of years without any clear direction for the future. It is best to build from the draft inDetroit's case. They just need someone in there to do a much better job of handling it.

I don't like Lefevour. Not until the 4th or 5th round. If Bradford comes out, then maybe Detroit takes a serious look at him, but is it me, or does he seem somewhat small??

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Don't you have the kid from Michigan State from a couple of years ago as a QB??

I wouldn't waste my time on Stafford unless Detroit really does something to bolster their Offensive Line in free agency. Which means that because of their situation, they would have to offer a lot more money to attract free agents. this isn't a similar situation like Miami of last year, where at least they have Parcells in the front office.

If they have to overspend to attract these guys, then you're facing salary cap hell in a couple of years without any clear direction for the future. It is best to build from the draft inDetroit's case. They just need someone in there to do a much better job of handling it.

I don't like Lefevour. Not until the 4th or 5th round. If Bradford comes out, then maybe Detroit takes a serious look at him, but is it me, or does he seem somewhat small??
Drew Stanton had a knee injury, but he did do well on his first start. Nobody knows what he can do, so we have to look further.

Drafting is always the problem and now since the Motorboating imbecile is out we shall see how his understudies fair. Not too optimistic, but they should know what the team needs and act upon it.

Lefevour isn't bad. But we need better.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
No way he's a 3rd round pick, unless the team has no plans to make him into a QB.

If a team drafts him as a QB, you are looking at 5th-6th round pick.

No arm strength, floats the deep ball, can't throw a 10 yard out, bad touch, and a very long release.

I'm not discounting what he is doing in college, but his mechanical flaws are very evident. If a team tries to turn him into a Matt Jones type of player (without the cocaine charges), then maybe he can be an h-back type.

But I just don't see it as a QB for him. Not right now, anyway.

At least the Lions hit it big with the last wideout they drafted. To me, Calvin Johnson is the most gifted WR in the league
You think he's better than Andre Johnson? I'm a little biased, but what's your position on the matter?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Oh and believe me guys. Matt Stafford will blow up at the combine, in a good way. He's such a combine QB it's not even funny. Once he goes through that rig'um he'll be a huge prospect this draft. At the same time he has all the tools to become the next Ryan Leaf.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You think he's better than Andre Johnson? I'm a little biased, but what's your position on the matter?

Nothing against Andre Johnson, I think he's absolutely terrific.

However, Calvin Johnson faces constant double teams, has the size 6'5" 240 lbs, sub 4.4 speed and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

He is also the best wide receiver I've seen since Jerry Rice in turning a 5 yard catch into a 70 yard touchdown.

Considering the quarterbacks that he has had this year (Kitna,Olvrosky (sp), and Culpepper off the street), his numbers were just out of this world.

I think he could go down as one of the 4 or 5 greatest WR's we have ever seen.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I remember in the last game against Green Bay he was triple covered close to the end zone and still made the grab. Calvin is a sick nasty player.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Oh and believe me guys. Matt Stafford will blow up at the combine, in a good way. He's such a combine QB it's not even funny. Once he goes through that rig'um he'll be a huge prospect this draft. At the same time he has all the tools to become the next Ryan Leaf.
yeah, he will.

however, some of his passes I saw in colloege just didn't look right. Maybe a tight spiral half of the time.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
If everything stays the way it is with underclassmen declaring, and Matthew Stafford is the best that the QB class has to offer, I really hope certain franchises aren't pinning their hopes on finding their QB of the future in this draft.

Quite honestly, this draft sucks this year. To me, the two best prospects are Michael Oher from Ole Miss and Andre Smith from Alabama. Both Offensive Tackles.
there are some good WRs coming out this year especially out of the Big12 - Crabtree, Maclin, White (once he declares), Cosby, Iglesias

The Lions need a quarterback. We will waste it again.
see comment above :D

No way he's a 3rd round pick, unless the team has no plans to make him into a QB.

If a team drafts him as a QB, you are looking at 5th-6th round pick.

No arm strength, floats the deep ball, can't throw a 10 yard out, bad touch, and a very long release.

I'm not discounting what he is doing in college, but his mechanical flaws are very evident. If a team tries to turn him into a Matt Jones type of player (without the cocaine charges), then maybe he can be an h-back type.

But I just don't see it as a QB for him. Not right now, anyway.

At least the Lions hit it big with the last wideout they drafted. To me, Calvin Johnson is the most gifted WR in the league
Tebow is far more talented than Jones, physically, mechanically and talentwise. but he won't do much unless he plays in a spread system which allows him to thrive like the Dolphins wildcat. Getting him in any round after the mid-3rd or later wouldn't hurt a team, in fact it would be a steal.

and Calvin Johnson is good but i don't want to jump on his bandwagon as roy williams did nothing for the cowboys with a better qb and overall better offensive system.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Well, Tebow is going back for his Senior season.

Which means one thing.

His draft results came in from the NFL. Probably 5th-6th round pick if he was being projected as a Quarterback.

However, good for him. the College game needs him more than the NFl right now anyway. If he can lead Florida to the Championship again, he will go down in history as the greatest college football player of all time, in my opinion.

Now, Tim. If you want to make it in the NFl, please work on your release and accuracy.

Also, some twitch fiber exercises to increase your arm strength wouldn't hurt, either.

If Mark Sanchez decides to come back, could we see a USC-Florida championship next year??

Oh my, the thought of it gives me wood. That, and the picture that burke posted a couple of days ago holding a pack of parliaments

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
i think tebow already is the greatest college football player of all-time, no joke.

sanchez is a horrible qb and i still await mustaine's chance to take the reigns of that USC offense. pete carroll has lost too many coordinators the past few years and i don't think he can keep up the same level of success for the years to come.

i believe that the SEC will have a team in the NC next year, and i think that UT or OU will be meeting them for the title.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
i think tebow already is the greatest college football player of all-time, no joke.

sanchez is a horrible qb and i still await mustaine's chance to take the reigns of that USC offense. pete carroll has lost too many coordinators the past few years and i don't think he can keep up the same level of success for the years to come.

i believe that the SEC will have a team in the NC next year, and i think that UT or OU will be meeting them for the title.

yeah, well, had a pretty good year considering it was his first year as a starter

OP
ßöмßäяðîëя
Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #876
    Nothing against Andre Johnson, I think he's absolutely terrific.

However, Calvin Johnson faces constant double teams, has the size 6'5" 240 lbs, sub 4.4 speed and isn't afraid to go over the middle.

He is also the best wide receiver I've seen since Jerry Rice in turning a 5 yard catch into a 70 yard touchdown.

Considering the quarterbacks that he has had this year (Kitna,Olvrosky (sp), and Culpepper off the street), his numbers were just out of this world.

I think he could go down as one of the 4 or 5 greatest WR's we have ever seen.
    He does not have sub 4.4 speed.

I actually bet very few in the NFL do.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
    ßüякε;1861022 said:
    He does not have sub 4.4 speed.

I actually bet very few in the NFL do.
    Calvin Johnson was clocked at 4.35 seconds at the scouting combines.

I know this because I desperately wanted the 49ers to trade up in the draft to get him.

OP
    ßöмßäяðîëя
    Apr 12, 2004
  • Thread Starter #879
    This is the part that really strikes me:

"Grizzled track coaches love to say that the "clock doesn't lie." Well, it does in football.

Say someone clocks a hand-timed 4.35 in an NFL workout.

The accepted standard to convert a hand-timed event to its automatically timed equivalent is to round up to the nearest tenth of a second – in this case 4.4 – and add .24 seconds. Now you're at 4.64.

Most football 40s don't go on a starter's pistol but on an athlete's motion. The average reaction time among elite sprinters (from the gun to the moment they exert pressure on the starting block's electronic pads) is about .15 seconds; for a football player with little track experience it probably would be closer to .2. Add that in, and you have 4.84.

Now say it's a breezy day and you're running with a tailwind. Say it's 10 mph. Accepted track tables say that would provide a .07-second advantage over 40 yards. Add it in, and your 4.35 is suddenly a 4.91.

There's no shame in running a 4.9-second 40, of course. World-class sprinters get a bad start or get a cold day, and they go through 40 yards in the high 4s, too."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 65)