Alvaro Morata (18 Viewers)

want him back again for cheap?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
No, the level of talent is nowhere near the same - there is a dearth of talent at the highest level. There are no real game changers.

Sure, you have an Mbappe and a Haaland, but I don't really see players that excite the imagination, players that can actually change the outcome of a game.

Who is the equivalent of a Ronaldo today? Is there a player at the same level of a Zidane or Baggio? Do we see a Ronaldhino? How about Henry? None of the young players now, Mbappe and Haaland aside, are at that level. Let's not even talk about defenders, when most of them can't even defend.

Players are more athletic and it's more of a "team" sport now, with reliance on systems and coaching imperative to success.
Take every big team from the 2006 world cup (Brazil, Argentina and the Euro top 7-8), who really is better right now than back then? Maybe Germany. That's it. The level at the top has decreased

Buy on AliExpress.com

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
No, the level of talent is nowhere near the same - there is a dearth of talent at the highest level. There are no real game changers.

Sure, you have an Mbappe and a Haaland, but I don't really see players that excite the imagination, players that can actually change the outcome of a game.

Who is the equivalent of a Ronaldo today? Is there a player at the same level of a Zidane or Baggio? Do we see a Ronaldhino? How about Henry? None of the young players now, Mbappe and Haaland aside, are at that level. Let's not even talk about defenders, when most of them can't even defend.

Players are more athletic and it's more of a "team" sport now, with reliance on systems and coaching imperative to success.
:chiesa:

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014

I agree that athleticism is overtaking pure talent but on the highest club level there is talent

Ronaldo, Zidane, Baggio, Ronaldinho - Haaland, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Salah

Also we still have Messi, CR7, Lewandowski

And many of them hadn't their peak with others.

Baggio from 1989 to 1995, Ronaldo had two peaks, first was from 1994 to 1998 and then from 2003 to 2005, Zidane took off from 1998 to 2006. Ronaldinho from 2002 to 2008,

On the other hand I agree with you that overall the technical abilities have gone down. There is no way today a player like Batistuta will have the majority of his career in a team like Fiorentina and the same goes for a player like Shearer and Newcastle. But on the highest level - there is talent, the smaller club teams have less talent today IMO. But on the other hand some major talents are playing for small national teams - Haaland, Lewandowski, Salah even De Bruyne (yes, Belgium selection is of a big team, but their mentality, history and coach are of a small team).

So, overall I agree with your sentiment, but definitely France and Spain still have plenty of talent compared to Italy. And this is why Italy has to change.

Last edited:

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
I agree that athleticism is overtaking pure talent but on the highest club level there is talent

Ronaldo, Zidane, Baggio, Ronaldinho - Haaland, De Bruyne, Mbappe, Salah

Also we still have Messi, CR7, Lewandowski

And many of them hadn't their peak with others.

Baggio from 1989 to 1995, Ronaldo had two peaks, first was from 1994 to 1998 and then from 2003 to 2005, Zidane took off from 1998 to 2006. Ronaldinho from 2002 to 2008,

On the other hand I agree with you that overall the technical abilities have gone down. There is no way today a player like Batistuta will have the majority of his career in a team like Fiorentina and the same goes for a player like Shearer and Newcastle. But on the highest level - there is talent, the smaller club teams have less talent today IMO. But on the other hand some major talents are playing for small national teams - Haaland, Lewandowski, Salah even De Bruyne (yes, Belgium selection is of a big team, but their mentality, history and coach are of a small team).

So, overall I agree with your sentiment, but definitely France and Spain still have plenty of talent compared to Italy. And this is why Italy has to change.
Batistuta - Fiorentina, Kane - Tottenham same shit IMO.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
Lol guys. This guy does a shitload of work. Yeah, he ain't scoring but let's not hold him to that worldclass #9 standard. He never will be and if he wants to stay, we need a discount on his transfer sum AND his salary. Otherwise he's gone for sure.

Strickland

May 17, 2019

I think it was a team sport back then as well, Galacticos is a clear example of that, loads of talent and game winners on a team that failed spectacularly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)