Alessio Secco (7 Viewers)

Apr 17, 2009
From day one i've said that Melo's deal was absalutely stupid but some of the guys here felt offended by that. 25 mil euros for Melo, give me a fuckin break!!

And now he's trying to find execuses left and right to say that he was right in what he'd done.

He's saying that madrid paid these ridicolous sums for there players but he didn't mention arsenal paying 17 mil for a wonderfull talent like arshavin or Inter paying 15 mil for Sneijder (whether we like him or not, he's a decent talent that was under the spot since he was just 20).

Did we really need to waste that kind of money on Melo when we had a really great up and coming talent like Marchisio who's younger yet better (and pretty similar).

Hope to see Secco out of this club. Once that happens we can expect a better future for this club.....
I agree that we paid over the odds for him and that we could have used reinforcement in other areas of the team, namely defense. You can't discredit his quality though. He is a good player when used properly.

Buy on AliExpress.com

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I agree that we paid over the odds for him and that we could have used reinforcement in other areas of the team, namely defense. You can't discredit his quality though. He is a good player when used properly.
Am not saying that he's crap. All what i'm saying is with that money we could've signed players in the other positions (defence) who are more of priority. Melo is a decent player no doubt about that but do we really need him? Is he worth 25 mil ?

We could've suvived this season with someone like marchisio + sissoko plus Poulsen and perhaps C.Zanetti as back ups.

2 years ago we wanted x.Alonso in the team we went for the guy couldn't get him so we signed a totally different player in poulsen. Fast forward to this season we went for D'Agostino (a regista) yet we signed Melo !!

There are soo many things that are wrong about secco that i swear to god i could wright a whole page just to show the mistakes that he'd done in the past 3 years. With a limited budget in this club you can't keep a guy like that who will fuck up almost every year, thats just not right.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Secco surely, certainly, does NOT choose who we sign. The manager does. And its Secco's job to get the man. So if Ranieri told him, Alonso is too slow, I want Poulsen, go get him...and Ciro told him, D'agostino is my main target but if Udinese want to be obtuse, I would be happy with Melo, and Secco goes out and gets these players. Who is to blame? Secco? Or the managers in question?

He is the engineer of sales and purchases, NOT the instigator.

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
Calcio Debate: It's Too Easy To Blame All Juventus’ Problems On Ciro Ferrara, Diego & Felipe Melo

Ciro Ferrara, Diego & Felipe Melo have been made the scapegoats by fans

There is no denying that Juventus are in crisis. The club have lost four of their last five games in all competitions, conceding 12 goals in the process. They have slipped six points off the pace in Serie A despite the victory over leaders Inter, and most tragically of all are already out of the Champions League.

In apportioning blame for these troubles it seems to be fashionable to blame three men, and three men only – coach Ciro Ferrara and big money summer signings Diego and Felipe Melo.

Granted, all three have grossly underperformed this term. Ferrara has displayed all his inexperience and has been unable to find a suitable tactical system, making numerous Claudio Ranieri-esque selection errors. Diego, it can be argued, has only played one good game in a Juventus shirt when he tore Roma apart in week 2 with two stunning goals. As for Felipe Melo, after a dominant start the 26-year-old has lost his way and his passing has been nothing short of abysmal.

Melo won the dreaded 2009 Golden Bin

But the criticism of the three has gone too far. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that Diego is a supremely talented playmaker and that he needs the right players around him to make him shine. At Werder Bremen he was consistently the scourge of Italian teams in Europe, yet suddenly he is considered useless?

Felipe Melo is the star holding midfielder of the world's best international team and has excelled in almost every game he has played for Brazil since his debut against Italy at the beginning of the year. Even in the midst of his poor Juve form he produced a powerhouse performance for the Selecao in their win over an albeit weakened England team. All this despite being exhausted having not taken a break since the summer of 2008.

Meanwhile, Ferrara has been championed by none other than coaching legend Marcello Lippi. We all know that Lippi mixes politics with football – hence the exclusion of Antonio Cassano and Fabrizio Miccoli from the national team – but you would presume that the Italy boss must have seen something to consider Ferrara worthy of the Bianconeri.

The main issue with Juventus at the moment is that the blend of the team is all curdled. In simple terms, half of the team is geared to play in a technical system and the other half are only comfortable playing in a physical system. These two sets of players seem incapable of combining together.

Playmaker Diego needs forwards ahead of him with pace, movement and intelligence in order to execute through balls, play one-twos and work his creative magic. This is isn’t possible with a target man like Amauri, a slow static penalty box striker like David Trezeguet, or even to an extent a physical harrier like Vincenzo Iaquinta. Thus, every time Diego picks up possession and looks up, he has no options in front of him.

Diego has no one to pass to

The three aforementioned attackers require crosses into the box to be at their best because they are all exceptional in the air and average on the floor. But, Juventus have committed this season to a game through the middle in which Diego is the main creator. Only very occasionally do we see balls being whipped into the area by full backs Fabio Grosso and Martin Caceres, and when the former isn’t playing you can rule out the chance of a Cristian Molinaro cross ever reaching its intended target.

Then if we move further back into the central midfield department, we see further curdling. Felipe Melo and Momo Sissoko are considered the first choice holding midfielders, yet both are poor passers of the ball. Neither seems capable of regularly moving the ball to technical players ahead of them like Diego, Mauro Camoranesi and Alessandro Del Piero. Thus, Juventus’ dream of replicating Barcelona’s orgasmic pass-and-move game ends before it has even begun.

Although there are clear weaknesses in defence, the idea that Juventus don’t have the quality of players to challenge for the Scudetto or even hypothetically reach at least the latter stages of the Champions League is quite frankly nonsense. As is the notion that if you remove Ferrara, Diego and Melo then everything is solved. The problem is that the blend of the team has been mixed all wrong as there appears to be two camps that cannot co-exist.

The blame thus lies primarily with the management of Giovanni Cobolli Gigli, Jean-Claude Blanc and Alessio Secco, who it seemed were starting to win over doubters following these summer signings that everyone, this writer included, expected to take Juventus to the next level.

Juve's leadership is again under question

Luciano Moggi was perhaps the only person this summer who criticised Juventus’ transfer work, and one of the reasons he cited was the imbalance of the squad. Once again it is clear why Moggi was such a genius in the transfer market as he understood that signing big names didn’t guarantee success unless the team was constructed correctly. Never has this been more apparent than at Juventus this season.

Carlo Garganese, Goal.com

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
God if you're listening, i wish to see Secco out of this club for the new year. To me he represent everything wrong in this new Juve.

Please god let it happen :xfinger: :xfinger: :xfinger:

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Am not saying that he's crap. All what i'm saying is with that money we could've signed players in the other positions (defence) who are more of priority. Melo is a decent player no doubt about that but do we really need him? Is he worth 25 mil ?

We could've suvived this season with someone like marchisio + sissoko plus Poulsen and perhaps C.Zanetti as back ups.

2 years ago we wanted x.Alonso in the team we went for the guy couldn't get him so we signed a totally different player in poulsen. Fast forward to this season we went for D'Agostino (a regista) yet we signed Melo !!

There are soo many things that are wrong about secco that i swear to god i could wright a whole page just to show the mistakes that he'd done in the past 3 years. With a limited budget in this club you can't keep a guy like that who will fuck up almost every year, thats just not right.
I really don't understand why so many people blame Secco for these transfers. perhaps I am mistaken, and if so, I will hold up my virtual hands and say Fair Enough...but to my understanding, the MANAGER chooses the players he wants the club to sign, NOT Secco. Secco's job is to go out and get the players the manager has asked for. The scouts check them out, return reports and hope to unearth new talent as well as scouting possible transfer targets. And Secco's job is to try to engineer a decent deal.

I cannot blame Secco for getting Poulsen instead of Alonso. I blame Ranieri...who has admitted since that he thought Alonso was too slow for Serie A, or some similar bullshit. I also cannot blame Secco for getting Melo. if Ciro asked for D'agostino, and we couldnt get him, why the hell would Ciro then turn to Secco and say 'hey allessio, can you get someone else, anyone of your choosing mate!!!'

Secco's job is NOT choosing players, its getting the players he is told to go for...that is the normal way a club is run. For if the Manager is not the man choosing the players who come in and out, he is not managing the team.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
I cannot blame Secco for getting Poulsen instead of Alonso. I blame Ranieri...who has admitted since that he thought Alonso was too slow for Serie A, or some similar bullshit. I also cannot blame Secco for getting Melo. if Ciro asked for D'agostino, and we couldnt get him, why the hell would Ciro then turn to Secco and say 'hey allessio, can you get someone else, anyone of your choosing mate!!!'

Secco's job is NOT choosing players, its getting the players he is told to go for...that is the normal way a club is run. For if the Manager is not the man choosing the players who come in and out, he is not managing the team.
That is true in england mate where the coach is the one who makes these decisions only. In italy and spain the management have the bigger hand in who to buy and who to sell. Do you honestly think that Ranieri asked for Diego when he prefers to play with the 4-4-2 formation and there is no way Diego can fit into that formation ?!

Its all common sence, why would Ranieri ask for Xabi alonso (a deep lying playmaker) yet when we could't get him we bought a totally different player in Poulsen? And exactly the same thing happens again this summer. But this time Ferrara asked for D'Agostino a regista yet when Secco couldn't get him we brought Melo a totally different kind of player.

Am not saying that Secco is the "only" one who makes these decisions he diffenately isn't but he has a big hand in them. Sissoko is clearlly Ranieri's pick and ironically he's one of the very few good players that we brought.

The choices of players is just one part of the problem with Secco but the guy has many.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I refuse to believe that the MAIN decision maker when it comes to WHO DO WE SIGN falls is a man with little to no experience as a footballer or a transfer guru...Surely John Elkann, as a businessman first and foremost, would never allow such an important job to fall under the control of a man with no proven record in such an essential area to the success of the team...

Yes, mate...I am more used to the english way of things, when it comes to managerial decisions and duties, but its common sense for me to believe that ALL top flight managers demand total control over the acquisition and sale of their players.

And if you follow english football like myself, and have done for a fair period of time, then you will know that any manager worth his salt, baulks at the idea of lacking control over personnel....

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
That is true in england mate where the coach is the one who makes these decisions only. In italy and spain the management have the bigger hand in who to buy and who to sell. Do you honestly think that Ranieri asked for Diego when he prefers to play with the 4-4-2 formation and there is no way Diego can fit into that formation ?!

Its all common sence, why would Ranieri ask for Xabi alonso (a deep lying playmaker) yet when we could't get him we bought a totally different player in Poulsen? And exactly the same thing happens again this summer. But this time Ferrara asked for D'Agostino a regista yet when Secco couldn't get him we brought Melo a totally different kind of player.

Am not saying that Secco is the "only" one who makes these decisions he diffenately isn't but he has a big hand in them. Sissoko is clearlly Ranieri's pick and ironically he's one of the very few good players that we brought.

The choices of players is just one part of the problem with Secco but the guy has many.
Ranieri did have a say in the transfers.Sissoko for example,was a Ranieri choice.And i wouldnt call Poulsen an alternative to Alonso.Like you've mentioned,Alonso fit perfectly into Ranieri's 4-4-2,which is i'm why sure he was wanted by Ranieri.

Secco gets a lot of undeserved crap here,and i'm afraid you're doing the same.Secco is probably one of the bright spots of the current managment.He got stick for buying the wrong players when the club got relegated,but this season he bought Diego,Melo and Grosso..transfers that were hailed by almost everyone.The fact that these players havent done what was expected from them will naturally bring the blame on Secco,but that's unfair.Secco has improved a lot as a transfer guru.The guy has been incharge for less than 5 years,and he has already managed to bring one of the most exciting playmakers in europe(Diego),and one the most promising midfielders(Melo) in the league to Juventus.Also you have the acquisition of Sissoko who is without a doubt one of the best midfield destroyers around.

Secco has done well.Yes the managment deserves slack,but Secco deserved the least of it since he has played his part well.Before he is judged,do keep in mind that the guy is very young,and he is incharge of rebuilding transfers for a club that was relegated not so long ago.He deserves a lot more credit than he gets around here.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
@salman

If anything Secco is getting more respect and credit than he deserves around this forum. The fact that he's inexperienced doesn't mean he can do mistakes over and over again and gets away with it.

Why do we need to give him credit for signing Diego, seriously Why?! Ask any 14year old kid about Diego ribas and he'll tell you who he is, its not like Secco discovered an unknown talent and we signed him.

Diego was allready pretty known by everyone who followed football in the world and we paid a "decent" sum for the guy. 25 million euros are not peanuts, and rememebr that deal happened before the real madrid madness in the summer.

So he's price wasn't inflated at the time. Its not a great buy, it was just a "decent" buy and the fact that Secco had fucked up alot in the past people couldn't believe it when we signed him (that how desperate we've became).

I said this before, arsenal paid 17 million for someone like arshavin just few months before the diego move, is diego that much better than arshavin? No, people would probably rate both of them the same. My point is, Diego's deal wasn't something that is really impressive. Yes it was a decent buy but it wasn't an incredible move.

Melo's deal clearlly shows how bad of a negotiator Secco is. He desperately tried to sign D'Agostino but he couldn't. Never mind these stuff happens all the time but a reasonable smart guy would look for other options (defenders) instead of insisting on signing anyone just to fill that midfield role.

That same stupid move happened with the alonso-poulsen saga. We needed a deep-lying playmaker (alonso) but when we couldn't get him he insisted on signing someone else in that position. Personaly i think he did that just to not look clueless infront of the press, fans and probably the board. After the long negotiation he doesn't want to look like a failure or someone who can't pull these moves. But that is fucking our whole summer budget, let alone the future of our team.

Juve needs an "experienced" smart people to run this club. We can't keep faith in people like Secco. The guy is creating more and more problems every summer and the longer he stays the deeper we'll find ourselves in that hole.

He needs time to get he's experience then fine, let him work elsewhere and if he proves himself he can return to this club.

Big clubs like Juve (or even firms) should hire those who are proven + experienced specially when it comes to the managerial positions. We can't take risks in these stuff. Taking a risk on certain players is one thing but taking a huge gamble on a more sensitive managerial positions is just ignorant and stupid.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
If anything Secco is getting more respect and credit than he deserves around this forum. The fact that he's inexperienced doesn't mean he can do mistakes over and over again and gets away with it.

Why do we need to give him credit for signing Diego, seriously Why?! Ask any 14year old kid about Diego ribas and he'll tell you who he is, its not like Secco discovered an unknown talent and we signed him.

Diego was allready pretty known by everyone who followed football in the world and we paid a "decent" sum for the guy. 25 million euros are not peanuts, and rememebr that deal happened before the real madrid madness in the summer.

So he's price wasn't inflated at the time. Its not a great buy, it was just a "decent" buy and the fact that Secco had fucked up alot in the past people couldn't believe it when we signed him (that how desperate we've became).

I said this before, arsenal paid 17 million for someone like arshavin just few months before the diego move, is diego that much better than arshavin? No, people would probably rate both of them the same. My point is, Diego's deal wasn't something that is really impressive. Yes it was a decent buy but it wasn't an incredible move.
Diego isn't a decent buy.He was a major purchase.Probably the club's biggest purchase since Zlatan.His purcahse was bigger than that of Amauri,Sissoko,Iaquinta etc.I don't know how you can call it just a decent purchase.Diego was being followed by clubs from England,Italy,Spain and even Germany.

Ofcourse everyone knew who Diego was.That makes Secco's efforts even more commendable.The guy purchased a player that was in demand elsewhere,but Secco convinced his club and the player himself to come here.The price was reasonable for someone of such quality.

Diego is younger,and is a better player than Arshavin.That is what most people would say.Only someone biased would call Arshavin as good as Diego.That is actaully a mild insult to Diego.The difference however,is the fact that Arshavin has managed to make an impact at Arsenal,whereas Diego has failed to do so at Juventus.That doesnt make them equally good players.Arshavin is a good player who is performing well,whereas Diego is a great player who is underperforming.That's it.

Melo's deal clearlly shows how bad of a negotiator Secco is. He desperately tried to sign D'Agostino but he couldn't. Never mind these stuff happens all the time but a reasonable smart guy would look for other options (defenders) instead of insisting on signing anyone just to fill that midfield role.

That same stupid move happened with the alonso-poulsen saga. We needed a deep-lying playmaker (alonso) but when we couldn't get him he insisted on signing someone else in that position. Personaly i think he did that just to not look clueless infront of the press, fans and probably the board. After the long negotiation he doesn't want to look like a failure or someone who can't pull these moves. But that is fucking our whole summer budget, let alone the future of our team.
The tag on G'Agostino was unreasonable.Udinese wanted too much in return,and it would have idiotic to cave in to their demands.Secco did the right thing by not going after him.A person's negotiation skills can be brilliant,but you cant do a lot
when the other side starts in a unreasonable manner.That was the case with the D'Agostino deal.

It's possible that he might have made the Poulsen move just to soften up the blow of not getting Alonso,but you keep on forgetting that unlike Inter or Milan where the manager does not have a lot of authority over who to buy and who not to buy,Ranieri did have authority over who he wanted.That is why Sissoko was brought on,and how he publicly stated that he got Tiago because he had failed to sign Sissoko in the summer.The man wanted a destroyer,but went for a well rounded non-destroying central midfielder in the end.That is what Ranieri has said on record.Going by this incident,the Alonso-Poulsen deal probably had more to do with Ranieri's demands than Secco's,but we will never know what actaully happened.But i'll give Secco the benefit of the doubt because Ranieri's statements are very clear on the Tiago-Sissoko issue, which was similar to the Alonso-Poulsen issue - failure to get a player had him wanting another player who wasnt the same type as his original prefrence.

Juve needs an "experienced" smart people to run this club. We can't keep faith in people like Secco. The guy is creating more and more problems every summer and the longer he stays the deeper we'll find ourselves in that hole.

He needs time to get he's experience then fine, let him work elsewhere and if he proves himself he can return to this club.

Big clubs like Juve (or even firms) should hire those who are proven + experienced specially when it comes to the managerial positions. We can't take risks in these stuff. Taking a risk on certain players is one thing but taking a huge gamble on a more sensitive managerial positions is just ignorant and stupid
Like i've said,'people like' Secco are the bright spots in this managment.He should stay.

only-juve

Jan 5, 2008
Like i've said,'people like' Secco are the bright spots in this managment.He should stay.
I guess we can debate all day long but still we won't agree on the guy. Only time will tell who's right and who's wrong on this. Personaly i think that few years down the road the owners will reallize they've made a huge mistake in hiring Secco and by then we'll need another 2-3 years "atleast" the fix he's mistakes. We'll see......

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I enjoyed greatly reading that exchange between the two of you. And Salman.s words especially, have further convinced me that Secco has been bearing the brunt of criticism and blame which isn't warranted, if the facts of the situation are known.

Arshavin was a risk. His quality was undoubted, but his temperament more suspect. He has adjusted very well to the premiership. We can put this down to luck, to a degree, but also, perhaps massively, to the man management skills and tactical expertise of Arsene...Now take Diego. More expensive, but better known, mildly, and much younger. his form at a decent level had been superior to that of Arshavin. i think we got him for a decent price...especially as he could have gone to a number of other top clubs. He hasn't hit the ground running. This could be bad luck, though I think its more rooted in the abject failure of Ciro Ferrara...to manage both Diego and also the team as a whole. He has arrived in juventus team which is arguably in its worst state, form wise, which I have seen in nearly 20 years of supporting the club...Arsenal on the other hand, have been fine to wicked. Not experiencing a run of form anywhere near as atrocious as us. And this is the rest of the team, and the manager, as well as diego...

Managers of the integrity and ego of Trappatoni, Capello, Lippi...do not strike me as the kind of men who would happily go about their business with OTHERS choosing who they signed and sold, which to a degree, is a heavy hand on selection. So despite the clearly known potency of Moggi...I do not think that there is a history at Juventus of the sporting director, or whatever is the official name of Secco's position, having the major say in Player acquisitions and sales.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I think its too easy to blame our problems on Secco and the management. Secco did a great job last summer, he brought in DIego for 24 million euro, he got us Melo and replaced our weakest links from last season Legrotagglie, Molinaro and Grygera. Secco came thru but Ciro hasn't and he's been clueless out there.

white_rabbit

Apr 9, 2006
its not about Juve. all supporting directors and presidents in Italy have influence on the transfers.

the way i understand it. the manager will request a list of players from the sporting director. the supporting director along with the president will try to get the player IF they are convinced with the transfer. otherwise they will push the transfer of another player who they seem suitable. so if the relationship and understanding between the manager and the director is good then the transfers will be agreed on mutually.

that being said, its not right to say that the manager doesn't have a major role in the transfer.

a good sporting director should get the manager what he wants or good alternative in the same role requested by the coach.

what secco did is presenting alternatives of completely different players. at tat time ranieri should've put his foot down. if he wanted a destroyer and secco couldn't get sessoko then he should've pushed for another destroyer.

my point is that both secco and ranieri are at fault. secco for not presenting suitable alternative transfers and ranieri for accepting them.

also, the good summer signings were just after ranieri was out of the picture. coincidence?

P.S. I said good not great since we signed to very good players who dont fit into our system. well melo fits but we got other player who can do his role. so he was a luxury purchase.

Agon

Sep 23, 2006
I dont know why some of you blame Secco. I think his job is only to buy players Ferrara,Blanc,Gigli asked. I dont think he chooses which players to buy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)