Albin Ekdal (10 Viewers)

MadballJuve

Oct 8, 2007
Give him a few games in the Emirates-cup etcetera. Let's see what he's made off. If he turns out to be tremendeous, why not put him in the first team? But the best opinion, and the most logic one, would be the Primavera.

francesco

Till death do us part!
Jul 25, 2006
Goal.com Profile: Albin Ekdal

Martin Ahlin profiles the latest Serie A import Albin Ekdal. The young Swede joins Juve's ranks - already bulging with youngsters.

Particulars

Name Albin Ekdal
DOB July 28th, 1989
Height 1.86m
Weight 75kg
Position Midfielder

Background

Ekdal introduced himself to the Swedish audience by being in the starting line-up at this year’s premiere of allsvenskan – the nation’s highest division – for his side Brommapojkarna.

There he made his mark by giving a splendid performance as well as being the brain behind his team’s goal in the win (1-0) against bitter rivals Djurgarden.

After an impressive spring, where the 18 year old commanded Brommapojkarna show from his central midfield position, the autumn got off to a terrible start for the newcomers.

The team just won two games the last three months of play, and was eventually relegated. Ekdal? He missed out on the most of it due to a knee injury and before that a serious case of kissing disease.

But things got better for him in the end. He chose to leave the club he had supported and played for since kindergarten. His new home address: Turin, Italy.

The Transfer

"First it felt unreal. Now it just feels great”, Ekdal said to Dagens Nyheter.

“I know I won’t make it in the starting eleven. We’ll see how it turns out to be, but they are bringing me to the club because they think they saw something special”.

Well, indeed he’s a special boy. Ekdal has made 15 appearances for Brommapojkarna this season, scoring in none of them but constantly standing in the limelight.

In addition to those numbers, the midfielder has represented Sweden's U-17s no less than 18 times, netting five for his country. Later on he stepped on the pitch five times with the U-19s.

By the first of January, Ekdal will belong to Juventus, one of the world’s biggest football clubs. The price tag on him has been reported reaching up to €1,050,000, even if it has not been official yet. Five years is the length of his new contract.

He is expected to train with Alessandro Del Piero, despite being almost half of the veteran's age, and get match practice in the “Primavera” team. They could also consider letting him spend a season in another Italian club.

“I think that was the idea from the beginning”, Ekdal confesses. “But after one year of training with the team, you could possibly take another step in your development. I think they wish that as much as I do”.

Other Prospective Buyers

Chelsea discovered Ekdal during the season 05/06. After an initial training he, somewhat surprisingly, turned “Blues” offer down.

“He feels it’s too early to move abroad”, his father Lennart admitted then. “He’s only 16 years old and wants to lay low. I think it’s hard for Swedish boys to adapt to that kind of life”.

Is he mature enough now? Hopefully.

Sweden’s hopes are upon this thin, versatile and elegant playmaker. Nurtured by the nation’s most successful youth academy it will be fascinating to see if this is the start of a flourishing career, if he can follow the footsteps of Lyon’s Kim Kallstrom or West Ham’s Freddie Ljungberg.

Look To The Future

Only the future knows what lays ahead for the talented Swede. Who knows – maybe Roman Abramovich will get to regret the boy’s decision in a few years from now. At least that would be a colossal revenge for former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri, now in… Juventus.

Did you know

Albin Ekdals father, Lennart, is a Swedish TV celebrity.

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=516803

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)