Alberto Masi (2 Viewers)

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
We didn't lose 11m on Giovinco, we paid 7. 5m, since we had previously sold his half to them, he gained that value with Parma in his two seasons there (one good and one of the best in the league) so we pretty much paid them for developing a player that was discarded and had little play time with us.

I'm not fond of the archaic wheeling and dealing with co - ownerships either, but let's not be melodramatic, we wouldn't be using it if it didn't have any profit in it. Which we do constantly with players we don't need, it's actually a bit iffy way to gain eve more dominion over the smaller clubs player market, hardly a downside for a top club.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
That would be same with loaning them out, selling the ones we don't need and bringing back the others without paying anything.
And how many times do we bring a player back and pay money for him? Also, how many times the players we give on co-owns suck to the point that we give away their second half for free? If we loan those players out, we will get 0 eur because we won't be able to sell them later, and after their (short) contract with Juve expires, we end up with no money. This way at least we get something for their half.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That would be same with loaning them out, selling the ones we don't need and bringing back the others without paying anything.
So basically you do need explaining:

- they generate money for the current mercato
- they encourage the 'loan' club to play the player to maintain or increase value, which loans do not do

Take Marrone for example. What is he valued at now, €8m? Say we co-own him to Atalanta for €4m. If he has 1-2 great seasons there it is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that we should be able to buy him back for the same money we sold him for. That team has spent the time, effort and risk in playing and developing a young player. Say then he is worth €15m. Then we pay €7.5m to get him back. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this system.

Say instead he sits on the bench here for another 3-4 years...

The 'we had to buy our own player :cry:' crowd just aren't getting it. Each club owns half of the player, they are entitled to half of his current value, it is not a loan, and it is mutually beneficial.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I would get this senseless hysteria if we were Inter doing co-own deals with Parma all the time and getting ripped off every time. But crying about selling half of no name players when they have highest value is bit daft.

Gallo2

Jun 12, 2013
There are contracts for loans, I'm sure number of games can be included, and also small teams benefit from good relations with big teams, with other loans that could follow for example.

Why do loans work perfectly well in other countries, while in Italy awesome coownerships must be there to save interests of clubs?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Loans don't work 'perfectly' well in any country. There are countless players who get loaned and then hardly play.

There is no flawless system, but I hardly see how a system that has financial incentives to play players is a bad thing.

Deep C

Apr 8, 2012
There is no flawless system, but I hardly see how a system that has financial incentives to play players is a bad thing.
That's pretty much the crux of the matter here. Co-owns are much more incentive based than loans. It's surprising that it's such a difficult concept to grasp for so many.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Great move for Albert and a solid show of how highly he is rated. He played only half a season for Ternana, his first in the second tier, and was outstanding after earning a place in the starting eleven there. They spent around 500k in total in transfer last season, most of that on a striker, a figure they have smashed to keep masi at the club and be damn sure they will receive at least the same in return from us in a season or two time when we have space for him in the squad and if he has developed into an even better player.

Its a sensible piece of business by the Beppe/Paratici dynamic duo and Ternana. With next to zero chance of a situation arising where we are held to ransom to retrieve a player we co-own. Its in the interests of clubs the size of Ternana to maintain good relations with Juve, considering our improving scouting network, financial clout and allure and increasingly expansive hoovering up of talent at home and abroad...the kids have to learn somewhere eh! And our first team squad is becoming far too top drawer to blood youngsters straight off the bat...unless they are Pogba-esque and very clearly something truly special.

The future looks bright for Masi. Ill be keeping a keen eye on Ternana next term...

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
If it's a straight loan, then why would the other clubs use our youngsters?
Because they are too good and there is no other way to obtain the services of such players otherwise?
Masi obviously is one of the best players of his generation, a smaller club would never put their hands on such quality unless they loan him from a bigger club.
It'll be a loan with option for co-ownership, as they all are.
I wouldn't worry too much about that, we are very much the 'parent' club with these deals. We will make money on him for sure, whether he is good enough for us is another thing.
Looking at what happened in the past, example with Giovinco, i am !!
Hopefully this time we have learnt from our mistakes and put a good pay back clause (as it reported) the sure thing is that we did concede his half way to cheap, ust like we did with Giovinco and so many more players before them...
Fully agreed, JJ. He was one of our more successful moves in the youth sector last season, doing fine at Vercelli then very well indeed at Ternana. Definitely no room for him at Piedmont for now or another season or so...Especially with the signing of Ogbonna around the corner, so why the hell even contemplate bringing him home? Would have been nice for him to spend some time with us pre-season like last summer but nevermind, he can use the ritiro with ternana to really bed himself into their back line. Like you, I'll be keeping a steady gaze on his form this season...

I think it is a straight loan, Cron. And I don't really see any major mistakes in the co-own/ loan market due to Beppe and Paratici (people, yourself included often seem inclined to focus all responsibility for our transfers on Beppe, when this is very clearly not the reality of proceedings).

The Giovinco case is one to debate, but not at all a cut and dried 'we got done'. for the form he showed at parma was fine enough for the money we paid for him minus the fee we got got for his parma 50 % originally. Its a shame he hasn't been able to replicate that form at Juve, but 15 goals and 11 assists for a 24/25 year old in serie a was always going to cost at least $10m...so to get him, overall wasn't bad business.

The only co-ownership I feel we as a club $#@!ed up with was perhaps cassani, but at the time, that horrible time...we were tightening the purse strings to keep ourselves afloat and prepare for our period in purgatory.

Ternana are never going to be in a position where they will hold us to ransom, and neither will the vast majority of teams we co-own players to, precisely because they make good use of quality young talent for free and want that to continue, for it saves them taking risks on buying new talent themselves. This works out well for teams wishing to consolidate their position in serie b, maybe gain promotion, in which case, as with sassuolo, who knows eh, maybe they can keep their loaned young stars...sassuolo are looking good with zaza, berardi and boakye in attack next term, yet they own barely half of all three.
Yes Masi needs to be loaned, but not to be sold out though!
Giving his half away for peanuts, when its almost certain that we will buy it back, is reckless. IMO the worst move of this summer.

The Giovinco fiasko was one of the many that inflicted a massive prestige upon us!
We were seriously robbed in that deal from every perspective, we gave away his half for far too little cash, because we have selected the worst moment of his carrier to do show and even after what he did then, there was no way he would worth 23mil!!
Our buy back option was absent and we were open to be abused hard time and they did abused our naivity, big time!
We sold giovinco half for 3mil, rating him as 6mil player, but there was absolutely no chance in hell to find such a talent for just 6mil!!
We would never find such a talent for six million, we have accepted a far to low price underrating his real value and also gave the option to keep him for three years, without having the option to claim him back when we need him, this decision alone has forced us to waste like 15mil on new SSs, each and every transfer window...

And then when we finally had the option to claim his half back.
We overrated him and paid 11,5mil for his half, which happened to be one of the top ammounts spend in the entire mercato F.FIGC's.S, meaning that we rate him as a 23mil player!!

Just like we knew that the player worthed more than 6mil when we lost his half, we also knew that he doesnt worth 23mil, when we got him back.
We were abused and ridiculised buy a much smaller team, this teaches a lesson to every other small Italian team out there that they can take advantage of our naivity.
We should take some precautions.
Inserting a buy back clause in a price that leaves a margine profit to the clubs that benefits the services of our talents, is acceptable, but letting them robbing us in full day time again and again is not!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Looking at what happened in the past, example with Giovinco, i am !!
Hopefully this time we have learnt from our mistakes and put a good pay back clause (as it reported) the sure thing is that we did concede his half way to cheap, ust like we did with Giovinco and so many more players before them...
You either didn't read or understand any of the previous posts. Please name 'so many more players'.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
This is a brilliant fucking summer if the worst move of the summer is earning 2m for the half of a young Serie B defender who will prolly never come back to Juve.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
This is a brilliant $#@!ing summer if the worst move of the summer is earning 2m for the half of a young Serie B defender who will prolly never come back to Juve.
I see your point, Osman...and agree! Although I have an inkling we could be seeing Masi in a Juve shirt in the future. We''ll have to see how he does when he moves up to Serie A in the 14/15 season, if all goes according to plan...and then, summer 2015 if he has progressed enough...but for now, yes, his development is solid and consistent. Lega Pro to Serie B minnow, Serie B minnow to solid Serie B club with aspirations of sneaking into the promotion places and next stop?

Jim_Boi

Oct 7, 2007
Squad depth

PS: I am in favor of co-ownership's but as Cronios pointed out we should be looking to put a buy back option on players. Lets say that we sold half of Marrone for 3 million we should be have the option to get him back for 5 million. I noticed that Madrid have started to use that option on a lot of players they have sold and bought back: Negredo, Granero & Carvajal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)