Against Milan, We were Good! (1 Viewer)

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
Kaizer, I would be more ashamed to be a Milan fan that night as they did play much much better than us but shared the points with an uninspired Juve. I'd be afraid to face Juventus again after failing to beat them in this condition. A Milanese would be ashamed to take the christmas break as it would give Juve the chance to rejuvinate and get back at them.
good point, but i believe that the Milan team that we played against didnt play to their full potential.

yes, they were attacking us 80 mins out of 90, but truth to be told, it wasnt a potent attack. maybe also, due to our stiffle defence. whatever that is, i was wowwed by Canna and co, and also thank God coz Sheva didnt bring his shooting boots

Romano

May 22, 2004
I realy shame for this game.
My uncle came to me, and he said this (Milan fan) :
''Juventus was lucky. They are a shame as they played defensively on their own ground, how sad..! And Camoranesi, he played good! He always gave us the ball ! And Del Piero was also very very very good ! I didn't even notice he was playing untill the 45' min when he hit Nesta on his knees....!''

Yeah I agree with him, though

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Biggest game of the year so far................

First and probably only sold-out match this season in their house...............

So much to prove after lackluster performances the last few weeks..................

Milan without 2 of its key components on defense........................

And people are happy that Juve got a draw.

Expect a royal ass-whooping by Milan when Juve plays them in the San Siro

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++
Sure we frustrated the hell out of Milan but i reckon the majority of the people here would hope that we were the ones who took the game to Milan and came away with only a point,not come away knowing we could well have lost by 2 goals.
Obviously I would have preferred if we took our game to Milan.

Could well have lost by 2 goals? I don't think so. If there was any "luck" to be had in that scenario, Milan would have been very lucky indeed to have had Pirlo make a precisely placed goal just this side of the far post and just that much out of Buffon's reach. If anything, THAT would have been major luck -- not the fact that Pirlo didn't score.

Milan had tons of possession, but crappy looks at the goal all game. The fact that they didn't score, IMO, was just and deserved.

Yes,coming close may have count for nothing on Saturday,but in the long run coming close so many times ultimately can only mean getting more points.
I still didn't see in this match what you seem to have seen. I saw a lot more close chances by Bologna against us the week before than Milan put against us. I honestly didn't see very many legitimate chances or close calls at all. Just that Juve had virtually ZERO real chances and Milan came close a couple of times. A couple -- not "so many" as you put it. But even then, the odds were against Milan on those limited close calls with the way the defense was set up and was playing.

swag,you claim luck made no difference against Milan,but do you think we would be where we are now if it weren't for luck?
We'd be pretty much where we are now. I don't believe in luck... that's the loser's cop out. You make your own "luck" or you don't. There's no need for teams to get all superstitious about it.

Juve prepared. Juve had solid defense. Juve has been consistent. Juve has had an opportunistic bench during key injuries. Juve's underperforming stars of last season have largely come back into their own. I cannot say the same of Milan. They deserve to be the 4 points back where they are now. No luck invocation required. We earned where we are now. The rest of the whiners and losers can complain about "luck" and garbage like that.

Last season when Milan was incredibly pulling out late, game-winning goals against the likes of Lazio, etc., I wasn't about to go pouting, pointing fingers at Milanistas, and whining, "LUCKY!" They earned what they got. They were DAMN GOOD at it. They were successful because they almost always found a way to salvage a close match and to come up big in the big matches (save maybe for the Depor fiasco, which they deservedly blew).

So I'm not about to pull that same crap on Juve because we're at the top of Serie A. We've been listed as the CNN/World Soccer top club in the world a couple times in the past month not because we're the luckiest team, it's because we've proven ourselves, we have the talent, and we are capable. Like all great teams, we'll slip up, screw up, and fall into bad form during a long season. And we have some really glaring problems in form right now. But in the end, any luck is a wash. May the best team win, and may that be Juve.

We've had our fair share-if Pieri hadn't awarded us that free kick last week against Bologna and Milan had took their chances a little better we'd be going into Christmas trailing them.
It works both ways, though. I mean -- Cannavaro's own goal against Reggina anyone? There's an element of variability and risk to the game that's always statistically relevant of course. But I wouldn't go calling that "luck".

If I was Capello, I wouldn't be about to sacrifice goats on an altar to appease the gods of luck after the match. I would kick my forwards and attacking midfield in the pants and get their form up.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I did read them.

I just don't happen to agree.

Nor do I agree with the notion that the reason Juve was outplayed was because Milan happens to be in better form.

I see it as Milan having superior talent and more depth than juve could dream of having right now. Juve's talent level doesn't match up to Milan's right now, and no amount of form can change that.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
I see it as Milan having superior talent and more depth than juve could dream of having right now. Juve's talent level doesn't match up to Milan's right now, and no amount of form can change that.
The fatal flaw in your argument here, Sergio, is that if talent were everything, Inter would have four stars and 40 Scudettos by now. :LOL:

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++

The fatal flaw in your argument here, Sergio, is that if talent were everything, Inter would have four stars and 40 Scudettos by now. :LOL:
then I should have added "a stable and precise coaching staff, and a front office that is dedicated to putting the best players out there not only talent-wise, but also considers team chemistry when acquiring said players":D

Now, juve can lay claim to those last two points as well, its just that milan has it also, plus the superior talent

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004

then I should have added "a stable and precise coaching staff, and a front office that is dedicated to putting the best players out there not only talent-wise, but also considers team chemistry when acquiring said players":D

Now, juve can lay claim to those last two points as well, its just that milan has it also, plus the superior talent
Your sounding too cathegorical . That superior talent your talking about sometimes do nothing against a team with discipline and determination.

I watched the game twice, and aknowledge that our team was loosing momentum and rossoneri were gaining it, i dont see big difference in the quality of the two teams...Just imagine the opposite: we gaining form and they loosing it.....at least 2 - 0

Also, between Ancelotti and Capello i choose don Fabio ten times out of nine...

OP
Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #55
    If you want to talk about talent and depth, then how come Real Madrid aren't on top of La Liga right now? And they barely made it to the next phase of the Champions League. Results really don't matter by just the talent of the individuals. Yes they are a big factor, but what's more improtant is the solidity of a team and how well they can compliment each other and work most efficiently to achieve the desired goals.

I agree that the depth and talent of our squad may not be comparable to Milan and Real, but we have something that they don't. We work like a well oiled machine, they don't.

We're a FIAT on 5th gear, they're a FERRARI on stuck on 1st gear. Do you get my point?

I still am a firm believer I'd rather have a team with no stars but great teamwork, than a team with a superstar and a mediocre squad.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Primo ] ++
    If you want to talk about talent and depth, then how come Real Madrid aren't on top of La Liga right now?
    Good point about talent and Real Madrid. Not so good a point about depth at Real Madrid. 7 Zidanes and 20 Pavons does not make for a good bench situation. I would argue that Real's bench -- more than their hubris and laziness -- was the root cause of their complete collapse at the end of last season. Our Primavera squad could probably whip Real Madrid's bench 8 out of 10 times.

(That is, unless you include all of Real's forwards as part of their bench. I honestly see that more as a liability for them -- money tied up in top players sitting on their tails while their defense and defensive midfield suffers.)

And they barely made it to the next phase of the Champions League. Results really don't matter by just the talent of the individuals. Yes they are a big factor, but what's more improtant is the solidity of a team and how well they can compliment each other and work most efficiently to achieve the desired goals.
    Nothing spoke volumes more on that than Euro 2004, where the high-profile, TV-commercial-sponsor-level talent sucked big time and the teams that played as teams mopped the floor up with them. Sure, that's int'l and not club play, but even last year's CL was proof that teams and teamwork still matters.

I agree that the depth and talent of our squad may not be comparable to Milan and Real, but we have something that they don't. We work like a well oiled machine, they don't.

We're a FIAT on 5th gear, they're a FERRARI on stuck on 1st gear. Do you get my point?
    I would agree with you here -- except I'd say we're a pretty high-end FIAT at that ... and at about 4th gear.

I still am a firm believer I'd rather have a team with no stars but great teamwork, than a team with a superstar and a mediocre squad.
    Because chances are that the former will be victorious in the end.

This is all good discussion. While I think we have to be realistic in that we looked like crap against Milan last week, and Bologna the week before, this has been one of the better Juve squads overall in a long time. There's a lot of potential here. And any Milanista or whoever who wants to start whining about luck and refs like an infant in a wet diaper, they can :kiss: my gluteus maximus. We earned where we are on the table, as did you. So stuff Sheva's Ballon d’Or in yer maw and suck on that pacifier for a while ... and come back here when you can put some goals in the net, alright?? You ain't proven sh*t until you've either gone to the top of the table or beaten us ... in that order.

And to all my fellow juventini out here, man -- we have some work cut out for us. Gotta get that early season form back. Capello is under a good test now ... let's see what he's capable of in a situation like this. FORZA JUVE!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004

Has Juventus ever played with three playmakers? If talent was the only factor in winning championships, then we would have less Scudetti. Juventus wins trophies because we have had compact sides that could work well together. This team chemistry is hard to find, and sometimes too much talent does not help the chemistry of the team. Milan might have more talented players, but when hard work and team play come into the equation, anything is possible.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002
    Well, after watchig the match again, I have to say that YEs we were outplay, but you have to take under consideration that Juventus didn't play to win that game, we played defensive, and Capello admited, that makes me think we can't judge if Milan is superior to Juve just for that game...

Aug 27, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Espectro ] ++
    Well, after watchig the match again, I have to say that YEs we were outplay, but you have to take under consideration that Juventus didn't play to win that game, we played defensive, and Capello admited, that makes me think we can't judge if Milan is superior to Juve just for that game...
    yeah well capello didnt have anything else to say but lets face it these are italian teams we strive on defensive soccer!

OP
    Primo

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
  • Thread Starter #60
    Exactly my point!

When Italians know they can't attack, they won't force it. So how else can they win the game? DEFEND!

Italians know how to win, trust me.

Other teams would just try and force their luck and leave themselves open at the back. They lose because they try to win the game in the wrong way.

Juve on the other hand will defend and try to make their opponents open up gaps in their defense, then that is when we pounce.

Take your chances, would it be wiser to try and force yourself in in initially solidified defense? Or defend at will and force the opposition to make mistakes at the back?

Either way, both teams have solid defense. The only difference is that the other isn't attacking. But if we're fortunate enough, we will come it with a draw, worst case scenario.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)